Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Polish cruise liner has docked - MS Batory by G. Gerlach

Options
  • 10-07-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Just arrived, after a long wait:

Comes in a lovely box, with printed instructions. Also included: a microfiber travel bag and a strap change tool (not pictured)

262014.JPG

Engraving of the MS Batory on the back (protective film still on)

262015.JPG

Signed crown (also with film still on)

262016.JPG

Signed buckle

262017.JPG

And the date pusher, also still with film

262018.JPG

more in part two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The dial is enamel, with diamond cut and TiN - blued hands, small seconds and big date.

The money shots:

262024.JPG
    262025.JPG
    262026.JPG
    262027.JPG

The strap is very long. On my 20 cm wrist it just about fits in the last hole (in this current heat the second last :D)

262028.JPG

Case diameter is a comfortable 40 mm. Thickness is 14 mm ...borderline IMO ...1 - 2 mm less would have been perfect. Case is polished all round and the sapphire glass is slightly curved and has an internal anti- reflective coating.

Some more pics:

262030.JPG
    262031.JPG
    262032.JPG

The Seagull ST 2526 movement is handwindable and hacking ...it has a pretty noisy rotor though and on this watch it sounds a bit tinny rather than meaty as on my other Gerlach ...not very impressive acustically

Water resistance is 100 m and the crown screws down.

First impressions ...very happy overall (except for the sound). Looks good, well made and the big date with pusher is just cool and sets it off from other "marine" watches.

Might try and find a somewhat shorter strap in brown at some point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very nice P, very nice. Digging the porcelain dial. They have a quality ordinary dials can't match IMH. Also love the crown. Lovely watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Enamel, Wibbs, enamel :D

(probably too modern for you :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

I ordered one for my brother, hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.
    How far did your shipping details go?
    This is all we have so far:

Shipping Status:
    Event Name Date and time Unit Mailbox
    Consignment 2013-07-08 12:04 p.m. UP Zielona Gora 2
    The arrival of the consignment 2013-07-09 1:51 WER Warsaw
    Sending a shipment of Polish 2013-07-09 1:51 WER Warsaw

• Advertisement

I got no shipping notification at all (only yesterday, after I inquired :D)

According to the postage stamp this was shipped July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

That's lovely and, in my view, absolutely the best watch that they've made so far. It's a pity about the sound and I think it could have done without the rotor text on the dial - I don't remember if that was within the original design but, then, it's easily 6 months since I last looked at their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

looks beautiful

Whats the story with the noise ?

Agree it would have been nicer without the Rotor text on the face

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

peasant wrote: »
    I got no shipping notification at all (only yesterday, after I inquired :D)

According to the postage stamp this was shipped July 1st.

any chance you can PM be the details you got with the tracking?

I think it could have done without the rotor text on the dial - I don't remember if that was within the original design but, then, it's easily 6 months since I last looked at their plans.

The original design had no pusher and "G.Gerlach" squeezed between date and 12 ...I would have ordered the no date version at the time.

Only when they added the pusher and moved the writing to the middle did I prefer the date version. Sure, "RotorSystem" is daft ...but it helps with the symmetry.

Whats the story with the noise ?

While wearing an automatic watch, place your elbow on the table, hold your lower arm up vertically and twist your wrist back and forth rapidly.

What do you hear?

With most watches you can hear the rotor but you have to listen for it (if you can hear it over rattling bracelets or other hardware)

With this watch it's very audible, not that far away from a cheap baby rattle :D (a common trait of most Chinese movements, sadly)
    MiCr0 wrote: »
    any chance you can PM be the details you got with the tracking?

not much to see there...disappears in Warzaw and resurfaces one week later in Dublin

adejście przesyłki 2013-07-02 11:48 WER Warszawa
    Wysłanie przesyłki z Polski 2013-07-02 11:48 WER Warszawa
    Przyjęcie przesyłki 2013-07-09 08:28 DUBLIN DELIVERY

• Advertisement

moar pics :D

262358.jpg
    262359.JPG
    262360.JPG
    262361.JPG
    262362.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

peasant wrote: »

With this watch it's very audible, not that far away from a cheap baby rattle :D (a common trait of most Chinese movements, sadly)

Ah...I like hearing the movement...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

my brothers arrived today
    hopefully this link will work
    1013105_10151770591005329_775580796_n.jpg

looks good on light brown

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭fishguy

Wear it in good health!

Can you let us know your opinion of it's time keeping?

fishguy wrote: »
    Can you let us know your opinion of it's time keeping?

I've been wearing it on and off, but not long enough in one go to be conclusive ...at the moment it seems to be within about +7 seconds per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭fishguy

That is impressive! I was assuming a +/- 20 sec a day, but hey +7 is nearly within chronometer specs...

fishguy wrote: »
    That is impressive! I was assuming a +/- 20 sec a day, but hey +7 is nearly within chronometer specs...

It's better than that, actually. I've worn the watch constantly for 24 hours now and it's +2 sec :D

The steamer also got new anchor cables.
    Went with a rather inexpensive dark blue strap with butterfly clasp from the watchbandcenter. It's quite thick and so is the clasp ...but it balances well with the thick watchhead

675688d1377105351-der-polnische-vergnuegungsdampfer-ms-batory-big-date-by-g-gerlach-dsc_0049-large-.jpg

Also the colour of the strap matches the colour of the hands rather well ...at least when they're not reflecting in sparkling lightning blue.

675687d1377105351-der-polnische-vergnuegungsdampfer-ms-batory-big-date-by-g-gerlach-dsc_0048-large-.jpg

Two year bump on this thread, but does anyone still have theirs?
    My brothers date pusher seems to have stopped working

mine's currently getting repaired ...cat fired it off a table and one hand detached :mad:

worked fine up to that point

• Advertisement

Has it gone back to get repaired, or somewhere more local?

it's with my local watchmaker (who isn't the fastest)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Bit disappointing to hear of two cases so soon needing repairs. One of the reviews I saw early spoke of a "rustic" build quality ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

art wrote: »
    Bit disappointing to hear of two cases so soon needing repairs. One of the reviews I saw early spoke of a "rustic" build quality ...?

To be fair though, peasant mentioned that his had an incident with his cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

art wrote: »

To be fair though, peasant mentioned that his had an incident with the cat.

Advertisement