Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager episode Fair Haven

Options
  • 10-07-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here notice the way Tuamgraney and Killaloe were spelled on the signs? The scriptwriters obviously haven't visited County Clare (if they visited Ireland)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

branie wrote: »
    Anyone here notice the way Tuamgraney and Killaloe were spelled on the signs? The scriptwriters obviously haven't visited County Clare (if they visited Ireland)

I doubt they did. It looks like they watched a bunch of stereotypical old "oirish" Hollywood fare and went from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Oirish is right; The Doctor even plays the Parish Priest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Surely Katie O'Clare could have corrected them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

It's like Voyager got a Murder She Wrote script writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

I blame Tom Paris,
    and the writers for writing this episode (and coming back to it for another episode)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It absolutely atrocious. Worst two episodes of any trek alongside Sub Rosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It's pretty bad but I didn't think it was abominable, like the scenes with the doctor trying to convince the villagers that he wasn't a wizard were interesting. It wasn't as bad as the TNG Bringloidi episode, at least the Irish in the Voy episodes were slightly more sophisticated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It's pretty bad but I didn't think it was abominable, like the scenes with the doctor trying to convince the villagers that he wasn't a wizard were interesting. It wasn't as bad as the TNG Bringloidi episode, at least the Irish in the Voy episodes were slightly more sophisticated.

I like that Bringloidi episode. But not for the kiss me I'm Oirish wash me feet characters. I liked the society that was fully cloned and could only imagine the controversy in the US bible belt when Riker performed a few 'abortions' with his phaser.

I do think there are worse episodes in the franchise.

The Outrageous Okona
    Up The Long Ladder
    Angel One
    Sub Rosa
    Move Along Home {Alamarain, Count to Four...}

To name but a few...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

EnterNow wrote: »
    Move Along Home {Alamarain, Count to Four...}

God damn you...now it's stuck in my head :(

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »

What is, this? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Kiith wrote: »

Wouldn't be the first time he's mentioned it...nuts I'm humming it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The harp on the sign is backwards!!

I hate that bit. It's not like Paris would've made the thing himself! Just ask for a image from the database and that should be correct.

As always with Voyager, a good idea to introduce a walk-in holodeck program that everyone can react with, but they messed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh god Fair-Haven!

It's not the worst episode on the franchise, but it did successfully kill off any remaining interest I had in ST:VOY at that point.

"The Harp is backwards..."

The Harp? THE HARP?!! Is that the *only* damned fault you can find in this mess of a simulation Kathrin? You "Ireland Aficionado" you? (Why is everyone in the future a damned 'Aficionado' of stuff? Is no-one simply a fan?)

Any viewing of either Fair Haven episodes drives me into a blind rage. Even the fact that there are two of them make me angry.

The writers of this episode really do deserve a punishment fitting their crime.
    I propose a trip to Ireland for them, where every single person they meet ends their sentence by telling them: "You were wrong!"

"Hello! Welcome to Ireland. You were wrong!"
    "That'll be 2.50 please. You were wrong!"
    "Just take the 90 Bus. You were wrong!"
    "Of course your 'Cell' phone will work here. You were wrong!"
    "You flight leaves from Termimal 1. Please never return. YOU WERE WRONG!"

A pox upon them!

Now, please excuse me while I try to extort drinking money from 'Tommy-boy'!

It's a toss up between Eastenders and ST:Voyager as to which was the most stereotypical "Irish" visit...

Does anyone remember the Eastenders eps in Ireland? Sends shivers down my spine.

old hippy wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the Eastenders eps in Ireland? Sends shivers down my spine.

:eek: Can't imagine too many takers for that one :D

Myrddin wrote: »
    :eek: Can't imagine too many takers for that one :D

Brrr. Brookside did it better, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Let us not mention the unmentionable.

Advertisement