Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Arhur Fields 'The man on the bridge'

Options
  • 10-07-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Im doing some research into domestic photography in Ireland and I was wondering if anyone can remember the chap who used to take photographs on O'Connell bridge during the 50/60/70/80's, maybe earlier or later as well. I have found out his Name was Arthur Fields but would love to know a lot more about him and his process of taking photographs as well as any stories that people may have about getting their photo taken by him and collecting the final prints. Having spoken to relations there seemed to be a process of receiving a number from him that you brought to his 'office' where you could look at the image before committing to buying it.
    any help at this stage would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Theres a website dedicated to him : http://www.abovethebest.ie/manonbridge/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

One my mams friends dads used to do it on O'Connell Bridge. It was illegal at the time and they could get arrested/fined for it. I'll ask her for his name.

I've a picture somewhere of them on the bridge taken by the guy himself...I'll find it soon.

He was selling the images to people. I'm guessing he was shooting onto paper to be able to get the fast turn around time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

pete4130 wrote: »
    He was selling the images to people. I'm guessing he was shooting onto paper to be able to get the fast turn around time?

Might have been one of these:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/05/11/instant-wooden-box-cameras-from-cuban-polaroid-to-the-afghan-kamra-e-faoree

Used to be a popular way of doing instant prints on the street, even when polaroid became available, probably due to the comparitive cost. I keep on meaning to build one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As far as I can gather he'd take payment and disappear for 5 minutes and come back with the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

There's a film company planning to make a documentary about him. There's some info and a video about it here

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Seems I'm actually in the video :-)

The second photo in the collage of thumbnails is a shot of me with my Dad. Of course I'm not looking at the camera, I'm watching the dolly bird behind me who's smiling at me :D

6518139226F440BCBE0B21A3F607A815.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Here's a fantastic picuture by Arthur which I'm guessing if from the 70s?

The Arthur Guinness Projects voting closes on Friday and you can vote once a day. Please vote here to help ensure the Arthur Fields documentary can be made: https://www.arthurguinnessprojects.com/arts/man-on-bridge

BSCFY41CUAAdfHQ.jpg:large

Advertisement