Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying new laptop - advice

Options
  • 10-07-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm currently looking at downsizing my laptop as I don't need anything as big anymore. Want to go for something in the 13.3"/14" range and spend not much more than 450 euro on it. I won't be using it for any heavy stuff - bit of web browsing, sorting photos from camera, some word, excel & possibly powerpoint, emails & not much more.

I have been looking at the below two but not knowing much about processors I don't know which would be the better option for me.

Lenovo S405

Lenovo S300

I've also seen on their website that there's an S310 "coming soon". Anybody know when that would be? If it was a better machine with a similar price tag, I'd be willing to wait for it as there's not great rush on changing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Hey,

I'm currently looking at downsizing my laptop as I don't need anything as big anymore. Want to go for something in the 13.3"/14" range and spend not much more than 450 euro on it. I won't be using it for any heavy stuff - bit of web browsing, sorting photos from camera, some word, excel & possibly powerpoint, emails & not much more.

I have been looking at the below two but not knowing much about processors I don't know which would be the better option for me.

Lenovo S405

Lenovo S300

I've also seen on their website that there's an S310 "coming soon". Anybody know when that would be? If it was a better machine with a similar price tag, I'd be willing to wait for it as there's not great rush on changing.

Thanks!

The first one is AMD, which aren't the best for mobile processors - Intel tend to give better battery life especially haswell (4th gen i3, i5, i7)

The second is a two generations old i3 processor, and i3 is lowest of i3, i5, i7
    Just so you know iX-2XXX = 2nd gen
    iX-3XXX = 3rd gen
    iX-4XXX = 4th gen

While their is nothing wrong with it, I would either buy a 3rd gen - acer aspire s3 391 is very good value, or wait for more cheap 4th gens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

multimate wrote: »
    The first one is AMD, which aren't the best for mobile processors - Intel tend to give better battery life especially haswell (4th gen i3, i5, i7)

The second is a two generations old i3 processor, and i3 is lowest of i3, i5, i7
    Just so you know iX-2XXX = 2nd gen
    iX-3XXX = 3rd gen
    iX-4XXX = 4th gen

While their is nothing wrong with it, I would either buy a 3rd gen - acer aspire s3 391 is very good value, or wait for more cheap 4th gens

Cheers for that - any idea of the price range for the Acer one? I know I can get discounts on the Lenovo ones through work which is why I was mainly looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Cheers for that - any idea of the price range for the Acer one? I know I can get discounts on the Lenovo ones through work which is why I was mainly looking at them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009R16Z7K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

i5 Ivy Bridge - much better processor then others, better battery life and better integrated graphics - €500 on the dot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

multimate wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009R16Z7K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

i5 Ivy Bridge - much better processor then others, better battery life and better integrated graphics - €500 on the dot

Hi - thanks for that. I actually got an offer this morning of a really good spec (as I'm informed by some others) laptop for a really cheap price. Has an i5 3rd generation processor too so was happy to know that was a good thing from your advice. Thanks again.

Advertisement