Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop internet connection keeps dropping

Options
  • 10-07-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this issue I've been having with my laptop.

Recently it's gotten very bad with connecting to the internet. I use a wireless connection.

It goes through spells where it just drops completely. Then I do troubleshooting and it fixes it saying that the default gateway was not available. But this will last about 20 seconds before I have to repeat.

Sometimes other problems crop up such as the resource won't accept the connection or firewall is blocking the connection.

It isn't anything to do with my internet connection as another laptop and my brother's phone all work when my laptop is down.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Who is your Broadband provider ?
    What make of wireless adapter ? Built in or USB ?
    What OS ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

UPC is the provider. The modem is Samsung. It's part of the new Horizon trial.

Using Windows 7. Seems to be fine for now though.

Think the wireless adapter on my laptop is built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Are you getting the little yellow local access triangle? This is what happened to me.

The problem is that you are fighting with someone else for access on the same channel. If you can do it yourself log into your modem settings, address can be found online just google upc modem settings or something like that, and just look for a channel that works fine for you. If you don't feel confident doin this ring upc and ask them to do it. You may have to actually tell them the solution as some of them either were not trained properly or didn't say attention to this part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

192.168.1.1 in any browser will bring you to router login

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Well I discovered a pattern on my internet dropping. It only happens when I plug it out and use the battery!

Probably has something to do with the fact that I got a 'You may consider changing your battery' message a few months ago.

Looked up a few solutions online for this but they didn't seem to work. e.g. I unchecked the option in the wireless driver which allowed the computer to turn off the driver to save power. Didn't work.

Probably get a new battery. Was looking on eBay, they don't seem that expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement