Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at an appointed Stand (Taxi)

Options
  • 10-07-2013 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I just receievd a letter from district court area of limerick indicating that I need to be in court on 30th of September accused of parking at taxi stand. I did not even realize it was a parking stand at all. I am accused by Garda member. This looks to be in controversion of article 36(2)(e) of the road regulations...

Any advises guys? is this serious? and how much would i be charged for this? (i dont even remember parking at at taxi stand)

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's not so serious that it would be worth employing a solicitor. Go along and apologise, saying you didn't realise it was a taxi stand but keep it short, the judges in these courts do not like people turning up and going into legal mumbo-jumbo or silly and trivial details like a long-winded explanation of how you had to pick up your morther-in-law's first cousin from the the train station because she has a bad hip.

If you don't show up, you can expect roughly a fine equal to double the fine on the spot ticket.

This is a parking offence, it's as low as you can go in the spectrum of traffic or any other kind of offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Forerunner

coylemj wrote: »
    It's not so serious that it would be worth employing a solicitor. Go along and apologise, saying you didn't realise it was a taxi stand but keep it short, the judges in these courts do not like people turning up and going into legal mumbo-jumbo or silly and trivial details like a long-winded explanation of how you had to pick up your morther-in-law's first cousin from the the train station because she has a bad hip.

If you don't show up, you can expect roughly a fine equal to double the fine on the spot ticket.

This is a parking offence, it's as low as you can go in the spectrum of traffic or any other kind of offences.

Thank you mate. Do you know if this will be registered on my driving licence?or any other? Also i did not have a fine on the spot actually there was no ticket or anything just received the letter, also would you know how much will i be charged for this?

So I don't need a solicitor just show up and apologise for the mistake.

Thanks again mate.

If you're being prosecuted by a Garda then what probably happened was that a taxi driver stopped a patrol car or a Garda on the beat to complain about you and the officer didn't have a book of tickets so he/she make a note of your registration number and decided to summons you.

The general fine for a parking ticket is €40 so if you don't turn up you can expect a fine of €60-80, it depends on the judge. It will not be recorded on your driving licence or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

the judges in these courts do not like people turning up and going into legal mumbo-jumbo or silly and trivial details like a long-winded explanation

Really...?
    I thought that was the whole point of going to court, how else can you be expected to offer a defence without going into details or legal "mumbo-jumbo"....?

Really...?
    I thought that was the whole point of going to court, how else can you be expected to offer a defence without going into details or legal "mumbo-jumbo"....?

Parking courts are different, the model is for assembly-line processing of cases because there's normally dozens of summons listed. I've seen people turn up and infuriate the judge with waffle and pseudo-legal argument, it usually isn't a pretty sight and invariably ends with the same fine that would have been imposed if the guy never showed up in the first place.

Unless you have a cracker of an excuse which will get you a dismissal or you can afford to take the time out to show up and apologise and say nothing else and hopefully get a small fine, it's usually not worth turning up for a parking summons.

• Advertisement

If you're being prosecuted by a Garda then what probably happened was that a taxi driver stopped a patrol car or a Garda on the beat to complain about you and the officer didn't have a book of tickets so he/she make a note of your registration number and decided to summons you.

The general fine for a parking ticket is €40 so if you don't turn up you can expect a fine of €60-80, it depends on the judge. It will not be recorded on your driving licence or anywhere else.

Thank you again mate, I appreciate it. I will definitely going to turn up, already booked my day for that day, I dont even remember parking there...oh well I hope it will not be more than 100euro.

Thanks again for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Forerunner wrote: »
    Thank you again mate, I appreciate it. I will definitely going to turn up, already booked my day for that day, I dont even remember parking there...oh well I hope it will not be more than 100euro.

Thanks again for the reply.

Where does the summons say you were parked? There are a number of taxi ranks in Limerick city that are part time. So they'll be parking spaces up to 17:30 (Some 19:00) and taxi ranks after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rainblow

Parking courts are different, the model is for assembly-line processing of cases because there's normally dozens of summons listed. I've seen people turn up and infuriate the judge with waffle and pseudo-legal argument, it usually isn't a pretty sight and invariably ends with the same fine that would have been imposed if the guy never showed up in the first place.

Unless you have a cracker of an excuse which will get you a dismissal or you can afford to take the time out to show up and apologise and say nothing else and hopefully get a small fine, it's usually not worth turning up for a parking summons.

There are a number of possible defences to parking charges, however to hire a lawyer with the skill to use them is more expensive than paying the fine. The only excuse which works well for a layman is to show that the road signage is somehow unclear. It all depends on the judge however. It would be essential to go into the court on another day when parking charges are being dealt with in Limerick to see how the local judge handles the parking cases.
    It is usually obvious after the first half a dozen what the reaction to excuses is.
    There was a judge in Carlow a few years ago who went ballistic at parking on footpaths on the basis that the elderly and people pushing prams were being endangered and inconvenienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful of some of the comments above. If found guilty, you will have a (minor) criminal conviction. It is slightly more serious than an ordinary parking offence, as taxi ranks are mean to be high turn-over locations. If having a conviction is a problem for you, get a solicitor.

I suspect this is a summons-only offence, so while it may not be on your driving licence, it will be on your criminal record and PULSE.

Did you park there, ever? That day, at that time?

Check that there road markings and signs for a taxi rank are in place, noting any time restrictions. These are the regulations (note they have been amended): http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html These are the signs: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0181.html

Check with the council if these are the current bye-laws:
    www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/TransportationPublications/PDFFile,3255,en.pdf
    www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/TransportationPublications/PDFFile,3256,en.pdf

Is the location on the schedule?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Be careful of some of the comments above. If found guilty, you will have a (minor) criminal conviction. It is slightly more serious than an ordinary parking offence, as taxi ranks are mean to be high turn-over locations.

No it is not, it's a €40 fine with no penalty points which is the lowest possible fine so it is no more serious than parking on a double-yellow line.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7424-1.pdf

Are you seriously claiming that every parking conviction is recorded on PULSE and in the criminal records database?

Will the OP be unable to travel to the US if he's convicted or can you tell us exactly what will be the implications (excluding the fine) of him being convicted in the District Court of parking in a taxi stand?

source wrote: »
    Where does the summons say you were parked? There are a number of taxi ranks in Limerick city that are part time. So they'll be parking spaces up to 17:30 (Some 19:00) and taxi ranks after that.

It says,

On the 23/02/2013 at Robert Street I think I remember this is in front of RTE building where taxi ranks are provided I remember yes parking there but i thought it was ok to park after 19:00 and i think i parked there after 19:00. However I did not realise it was not ok to park there after 19:00 also :S It says traffic sign number RUS020 in association with RRM 029 was placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided.

I really do hope that this will not be criminal offence :(

Rainblow wrote: »
    There are a number of possible defences to parking charges, however to hire a lawyer with the skill to use them is more expensive than paying the fine. The only excuse which works well for a layman is to show that the road signage is somehow unclear. It all depends on the judge however. It would be essential to go into the court on another day when parking charges are being dealt with in Limerick to see how the local judge handles the parking cases.
    It is usually obvious after the first half a dozen what the reaction to excuses is.
    There was a judge in Carlow a few years ago who went ballistic at parking on footpaths on the basis that the elderly and people pushing prams were being endangered and inconvenienced.

I will definitely show up but back then, in february my 10 year marriage had ended, I was working full time and was (still is my final year) part time student. I was going through hell to be honest and I was nowhere to realize the sign :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

From google maps, the signs say that it's a taxi rank between 19:00 and 04:00, but outside those times there's no parking (as indicated by the double yellow lines and the 24 hour towing sign).

I'd show up, and offer an apology, but no excuse, as if there's any photos or the judge happens to know the road it would be hard to come up with a reasonable excuse.

Be careful of some of the comments above. If found guilty, you will have a (minor) criminal conviction. It is slightly more serious than an ordinary parking offence, as taxi ranks are mean to be high turn-over locations. If having a conviction is a problem for you, get a solicitor.

I suspect this is a summons-only offence, so while it may not be on your driving licence, it will be on your criminal record and PULSE.

Did you park there, ever? That day, at that time?

Check that there road markings and signs for a taxi rank are in place, noting any time restrictions. These are the regulations (note they have been amended): http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html These are the signs: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0181.html

Check with the council if these are the current bye-laws:
    www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/TransportationPublications/PDFFile,3255,en.pdf
    www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/TransportationPublications/PDFFile,3256,en.pdf

Is the location on the schedule?

Yes, I do remember parking there but how come ill be convited and criminal record I mean this is really minor how come I am ok to pay the fine like I do accept my mistake but punishment shouldnt be this high :( what the....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I parked in one in Dublin (complete accident and the most poorly signed one I have ever seen) and got clamped. Strange how different policies in different parts of the country.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    I parked in one in Dublin (complete accident and the most poorly signed one I have ever seen) and got clamped. Strange how different policies in different parts of the country.

I parked at night didnt even see the sign to be honest, and there was no ticket on my car if there was ticket or anything id have paid it seems they filed this on 23rd of may almost 3 months after the incident!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No it is not, it's a €40 fine with no penalty points which is the lowest possible fine so it is no more serious than parking on a double-yellow line.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7424-1.pdf
    While it is a €40 fine if paid within 28 days of a Fixed Charge Notice, there is no Fixed Charge Notice. The garda and more importantly the judge may see it as more serious.
    Are you seriously claiming that every parking conviction is recorded on PULSE and in the criminal records database?
    Well, they aren't going on his school record, are they? Where do you think they would be recorded?
    Will the OP be unable to travel to the US if he's convicted
    US CBP aren't really going to be interested in a parking fine.
    or can you tell us exactly what will be the implications (excluding the fine) of him being convicted in the District Court of parking in a taxi stand?
    No. I don't know his circumstances.
    Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Not everywhere uses clamping. Even where it is used, it will depend on who gets there first.
    Forerunner wrote: »
    I parked at night didnt even see the sign to be honest, and there was no ticket on my car if there was ticket or anything id have paid it seems they filed this on 23rd of may almost 3 months after the incident!!!!!:mad:
    Not unusual, garda waits until his ticket book is full and submits a block of them together so they all end up in the one court session.

While it is a €40 finem if paid within 28 days of a Fixed Charge Notice, there is no Fixed Charge Notice. The garda and more importantly the judge may see it as more serious.

Well, they aren't going on his school record, are they? Where do you think they would be recorded?

US CBP aren't really going to be interested in a parking fine.

No. I don't know his circumstances.

Not everywhere uses clamping. Even where it is used, it will depend on who gets there first.

Not unusual, garda waits until his ticket book is full and submits a block of them together so they all end up in the one court session.

I still think it is quite harsh to be convicted only for parking at a taxi rank...Im faulty and i agree to pay the charge but for being convicted for this...i dont know...sounds ridiculous...

Advertisement