Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The O Connell St 'Atheism and Secularism Stand'

Options
  • 09-07-2013 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hey kids,

I came across a gent running (if running is what you do to a stand?) an 'Atheism and Secularism' stand on O Connell St in Dublin outside the GPO on Saturday past. Similar to the usual ones you get there like the Muslims and the Pro-Death and Anti-Choice{:pac:} fellows, just a dude handing out leaflets and giving information on his topic of choice etc. Seemed like a nice enough lad. Said he's out there first Saturday of every month.

Anyway was just wondering what people thought of the idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Why not? If it takes space away from the ridiculous anti-abortion **** and that evangelist I saw with the strongest Longford accent ever, fair play to him.

Also, it's nice to see someone handing out leaflets that might actually contain factual information.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

More power to him, if that's how he likes to spend one day a month, fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

No reason not to I guess. I'd be interested to see the leaflets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aurelia Cotta

I would love to meet the guy. Also interested to see the packets and discuss his views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

No reason not to I guess. I'd be interested to see the leaflets though.

Seemed to be basic kinda "What is secularism? : Secularism means..." type things. But I didn't have too close a read of them, was just passing.
    I would love to meet the guy. Also interested to see the packets and discuss his views.

Well like I say, he says he's out in the same spot the first Saturday of every month, so August 3rd would be his next slot I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Is he just handing out leaflets of does he talk at all. I do feel sorry for staff in Butlers who have to listen to loonies at the O'Connell/Henry St corner all day.
    Slightly unrelated but on the Luas at Jervis yesterday I saw a bunch of stocky lads who I intially though were from Westboro. Dont think they were but they did have some in your face placards and T-Shirts.
    'God hates sinners', 'A lake of fire in Hell awaits drunkards' and an Irish flag that said Catholic in the green part, Protestant in the Orange and then 'True Christian' in the white.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

iDave wrote: »
    'God hates sinners', 'A lake of fire in Hell awaits drunkards' and an Irish flag that said Catholic in the green part, Protestant in the Orange and then 'True Christian' in the white.

Sigh.
    So 'Judge ye not' is one of those optional parts of the bible?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Is he just handing out leaflets of does he talk at all. I do feel sorry for staff in Butlers who have to listen to loonies at the O'Connell/Henry St corner all day.
    Slightly unrelated but on the Luas at Jervis yesterday I saw a bunch of stocky lads who I intially though were from Westboro. Dont think they were but they did have some in your face placards and T-Shirts.
    Probably same fellas that were on the monument at the junction of OConnell St and the quays this afternoon. One fella had a ten foot white cross (no jebuz on it though) and a loudhailer, two fellas with placards providing the Amens and Praise Jebuz'. There were some perplexed tourists watching a junkie mock them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Probably same fellas that were on the monument at the junction of OConnell St and the quays this afternoon. One fella had a ten foot white cross (no jebuz on it though) and a loudhailer, two fellas with placards providing the Amens and Praise Jebuz'. There were some perplexed tourists watching a junkie mock them. :o

Finally a use for junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I sort of see atheism as being able to live without something that a lot of humans need and would usually keep it to myself until a religious person starts annoying me or doing something out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

He wasn't giving a sermon or preaching or anything if that's what you mean. But answered questions and told us a little about the stall and that when we asked. My girlfriend said "well I'm not an atheist, but I strongly support secularism" to which he replied "ah well, you're halfway there so" which I couldn't help but smile at.

Advertisement