Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Question?

Options
  • 09-07-2013 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I've got a Sony Vaio laptop, and the HDD is failing. I've backed up my data, but am now having problems getting a system image so that I can copy to a new HDD.

What I did was to make a system image onto an external HDD. I then tried to update it a couple of weeks ago. That's when I encountered problems. I can no longer make the system image as I'm getting error messages saying the disk is corrupt! Checked both the external HDD as well as the internal, and both say there's no errors which is really strange...

So I have a couple of questions:

Can I simply copy over the C: drive on to the HDD which is formatted to FAT32? Will that work??

Have I formatted the HDD correctly in order to make the system image?

There's another Q I meant to ask, but have forgotten...:o If I remember, I'll post up!

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Generally windows doesn't like to copied directly. Better off doing a clean re-install of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks! But think I've solved the problem now. I did a chkdsk /r last night, left it running over night and have now been able to make a system image, as well as back up my data again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

nice one :)

Advertisement