Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you have with you *right* *now*?

Options
  • 09-07-2013 10:26am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's 10.30am on a Tuesday. As an exercise assume immediate and total collapse of infrastructure. The reason's not important. What have you got on your person (or within 3 metres of you) right this minute that might help you get where you want to go?

On my person / in my backpack:
    backpack
    crappy emergency poncho
    2 small packets of jellies (these are my "emergency jellies" and I have been damned glad of them in the past when cycling)
    Spork
    2 pens
    Gumshield (a good one)
    Swiss army knife
    Bicycle pump
    Baseball cap
    Phone (still useful for GPS and compass even with total infrastructure failure)
    Nook e-reader
    Rennies

These are within 3 metres of me:
    Nuts and raisins to the tune of about 800 calories
    Fruit to the tune of about 500 calories
    Bottle of water
    Vitamin C tablets

Could be worse. Made me think though. Needs a lighter, caffeine tablet(s) (I have some of these at home anyway as they're useful for sports performance), some painkillers and warm clothes too. Open to suggestion on other things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I wear a shirt and tie to work so all i have now is my leatherman surge on my belt...

In the van i have my boots, combats, teeshirt, fleese and light pacable gortex jacket. In my 25l bag iv got nature ally bars x2, maximuscle protien meal bars x2, bag of mixed nuts from lidl(eat these every day so there is more in the van too) approx 250g oats in ziplock bag, coffee and sugar, 2ltr water(2 more 2ltr bottles in the van which i drink daily that i could take if needs be), steel cup, hexi cooker and tabs, fire steel, lighter, dryer lint(tinder) paracord 2x 10m and a 3x3m tarp.

Its not much but its all very light and fits into my small bag apart from the clothes but im gettin changed if anything happenes anyway!!

If i had to walk the 45k home id do it in less than a day

Edit; forgot my torch!! I replaced my led lenser p7 with the smaller p3 for this bag just to save space, cant go wrong for €17! Few spare batterys shoved into its holder too

Khannie whats the gumshield for? Ya plannin on boxin heads on the way home and still lookin pretty when ya get there?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Backpack: Wind up torch/radio 2xmulti tools hammer, 2xlighters, 40ft rope, 50m paracord, baseball cap, beanie hat, 4 man tent lashed to bottom of back pack, fire steel, biolite stove, 2 x packets of powdered mash, salt, 5 x noodles, cup a soups, tub of sweets.

Car: another back pack containing the same as above + multiple car tools, ropes and stashed water.
    Within 3 metres - huge bowl of fruit, several large packets of nuts and lots of kefir grains which I'd also grab cos they're a great medicinal yoke to have.

Why the 4 man tent? Have you got a few people with you? Sounds heavy! I was looking for a small tent but decided on the tarp instead for the light weight and because it fits in my bag and you wouldnt know it was there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

On my person
    left pocket
    Victorinox camper
    Led lenser p2
    Right hand pocket
    About €10 in coin
    Back pocket left
    empty
    Back pocket right
    Wallet about €50 in small bills
    Victoinox card
    bank cards usual crap
    Backpack
    Emergency poncho
    Led lenser M5
    spare batteries
    Lighter
    Ecig + refills
    Small first aid kit
    20 cigarettes (just in case)
    Emergency blanket
    Large folding knife
    Mp3 player
    Breakfast bars
    1lt water
    Cold steel walking stick in my hand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

aaakev wrote: »
    Khannie whats the gumshield for? Ya plannin on boxin heads on the way home and still lookin pretty when ya get there?? ;)

Haha. :D

Its primary purpose was in case I was training (was training 5 days a week up until October last year) and also in case I was ever asked to jump in for a fight on short notice. It's been in the backpack now every day for a good 5 years.

The backup purpose was in case I ever saw a row coming that I definitely could not avoid (or chose not to :pac:). I like my teeth. :D It's one of the custom fit Irish flag ones, done by a dentist, so it's pretty decent.

It also has my phone number on the cover, which was dead handy when I left my bag on the train. The lad from Irish rail was able to ring me (fair play to him).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

aaakev wrote: »
    Why the 4 man tent? Have you got a few people with you? Sounds heavy! I was looking for a small tent but decided on the tarp instead for the light weight and because it fits in my bag and you wouldnt know it was there

It has been lashed to my backpack for a couple of years now! The whole bundle sits under the stairs and every now and then I unstrap the tent and check it out. Weight wise it's not too bad but function wise it's superb. It just lives on my backpack now so I figure -why disturb it? Also, if we had to evac right now, at least we'd have a bit of shelter for the missiz and kiddlywinks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

If i was in work id have
    Left pocket
    Victorinox camper
    Led Lenser p2
    Left leg pocket
    Kevlar gloves
    Right pocket
    Coin
    Right leg pocket
    Leatherman multi tool
    Ecig + refills
    Belt
    20 Cigarettes
    Work phone
    Lighter
    3 D Cell Maglite
    Radio
    Poncho
    Dry bag for phones
    First aid kit
    Latex gloves
    Led lenser P7
    1lt of water
    Personal Phone
    Kevlar vest
    Bump cap
    T shirt in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Hi folks , I kinda lurk around these type of threads , interesting topics discussed...anyway I was given an old German army poncho a while ago , when opened up its about 8ft by 5ft approx ...

It has guide holes for ropes and can clip together with another poncho to make a pretty large tent , it would even act as a one man tent .

It seems to be made of a heavy rubber type material and without doubt is water proof.

Happy survivalism.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On my person, very little, in this high temps I've ditched my jacket that usually has useful bits and bobs. But by me between my desk and my work locker;

A victorinox knife, button compass (put there to remind me to do a mini review as promised...), roll of ducktape, a box of granola bars, good quality rain gear, walking shoes, rope (bigger than parachord) and a tesco bargain torch. We have about a dozen full ballygowen water cooler bottles, so plenty to stock up on before you had to get home. In this weather, I also have a sun hat, sunglasses and there's a bottle of suncream for staff use. I'd potentially take one of the first aid boxes from the office as well in it was real SHTF stuff.

Actually there's probably a lot of stuff I could pilfer around the office, I must invest in an empty bag to supplement my GHB in the car :D Something like this

• Advertisement

Afyer replying earlier i had a feeling i was forgetting something so i emptied out my bag when i got home and i am missimg baby wipes! I never use to leave home without them but since i used the last of the ones i had in the bag i forgot to replace them.... Woops

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Pockets:
    Nexus 4 phone,
    Mipow power tube (usb battery),
    Car + house keys with €50 in attached pill holder,
    Wallet,
    Victorinox handyman

Bag:
    Ductape
    Small binoculars,
    Gerber Knife sharpener,
    Cable ties,
    Sas pocket survival guide,
    Small 8 led torch,
    First aid kit,
    Kindle,
    Laptop + charger,
    Beanie hat,
    Paracord,
    Grip trainer,
    Padlock,
    Small bicycle tool with Allen keys, philips + flathead screwdrivers,
    2 packets of noodles,
    1 can of chicken curry,
    2 green tea bags.

My car is about 20m away and has plenty of useful items inside.

Interestingly my phone tried to exchange paracord for paranoid, two sides of the same coin?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

in work so as follows:

On my person:

very little - wallet, phone, keys.

Within 3 meters:

about 2 liters of water
    lots of duct tape
    various gas detection tubes (pumped and passive)
    Flue gas analyser
    high vis jacket and pants
    bottle of sulfuric acid (98%)
    organic vapour and acid cartridge respirators
    safety boots
    hard hat

In van 10 meters away:

Various tools (spanners, wrenches etc)
    water sampling pump
    air pumps
    groundwater samplers
    flame retardant overall
    leatherman kick
    led torches
    welding gloves

all my other outdoor/ survival gear is at home (40km away)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In work so on my person I have

Leatherman Blast
    small LED torch
    laser pointer
    small fold up pliers
    HTC One
    keys with bottle opener

In bag:
    Lots of pens
    skystar2 Digital satellite receiver
    Alfa wireless dongle
    Cupa soup Barscht flavour
    Laptop charger
    Baby wipes
    Raspberry Pi
    Kindle

On desk:
    Soldering Iron
    Multi-meter
    wide assortment of development boards, breadboards, wires, components
    Ubertooth One
    spare smart phone
    DC motors
    pain killers
    gaviscon
    Chai latte mix(just add water)
    1 litre water
    wide array of screwdrivers
    Random assortment of network cables and components.
    electrical tape

In the context of a major emergency things could be a lot better. Must get some unpublishable food into work. If there was some kind of major event, I think I'd rather stay in the office rather than go home. Its an engineering building so a lot of materials, one could use to build things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

On me at this moment, a collection of dog hairs on my clothes plus keyring which has

maglite solitaire
    peanut lighter*
    mini firesteel
    small pen knife (scissors, knife, file, toothpick, tweezers)
    keys

Within 3m of me, every damn thing.

* important note about the peanut - it DOES NOT WORK with anything but zippo lighter fluid, in my experience. Also you need to drill out the wick mouth if you want to have a prayer of replacing the wick. I might drill it out a bit more to see does it work with other fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

on my person, nothing but the clothes I am wearing.. within 3 metres, cash, knife, mobile phone, van keys..

and in the van there is plenty of survival stuff.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

At that time I would have ...

My Wenger Ranger Grip ( I am trialing it as an EDC at the moment )

My Wallet which has a mini first aid kit .

Keys ( fire steel , Paracord lanyard , Money in a pill container , plastic bag in a pouch and vinyl gloves in a pouch)

3 mtrs away...

I have my 72 hour water bag fully stocked for winter ( its the waterproof snickers lad )

In the car...

I have my 24 hour bag full of the usual trinkets of paranoia ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

On my person:

Phone
    lighter
    pepperspray
    SwissTool
    Benchmade locking folder
    Riggers belt.

In the desk:
    Benadyl
    Adderal
    Vicodin

In the car
    Flashlights
    Small tool set
    Blankets
    2 gallons of water
    Extra spectacles
    4 MREs
    A pew pew thing that's heavily controlled in Ireland but is OK in my jurisdiction (USA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

harmoniums wrote: »
    A pew pew thing that's heavily controlled in Ireland but is OK in my jurisdiction (USA)

You are so lucky! :(

Advertisement