Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to attach shiplap

Options
  • 09-07-2013 8:26am

Hi boards,

I'm building a wooden shed at the moment. I have a frame made of 2x4s

I want to use shiplap for the walls but am confused as to the correct way of attaching it because I have found so little info, or contradicting info online. I basically need to know where the screws/nails should go. I know it sounds like a simple question but my concerns are the wood expanding and contracting due to weather

It came from a builders providers already treated and has been sitting out in the sun we are having.

Please help me with the positioning of the screws and also do I need to leave a little gap between each board to allow for expansion.

I have been searching google and YouTube for days and am not getting any helpful results

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

some lads just pin it with a brad nailer, but personally i dont like this method. if its a rough job just use a framing nailer, you dont notice them that badly when they are all done. the real mccoy is to pre bore a hole 1.5mm bigger than the screw shank, have it prebored for a wooden plug, screw it and plug it. double screwing one towards the bottom off each board and one tucked in under the board from above. dont forget to use deck screws or stainless steel to avoid rust. The price of the stainless will probably put you off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Hi boards,

I'm building a wooden shed at the moment. I have a frame made of 2x4s

I want to use shiplap for the walls but am confused as to the correct way of attaching it because I have found so little info, or contradicting info online. I basically need to know where the screws/nails should go. I know it sounds like a simple question but my concerns are the wood expanding and contracting due to weather

It came from a builders providers already treated and has been sitting out in the sun we are having.

Please help me with the positioning of the screws and also do I need to leave a little gap between each board to allow for expansion.

I have been searching google and YouTube for days and am not getting any helpful results

Thanks for your time
    Use the ringed nails. Think they were originally made for chipboard flooring. Anyway their non return properties can only be welcome.
    Put the shiplap on with no expansion gaps. Let each one sit on top of the other. Start from the bottom it helps ;-).
    For fixing just face nail each piece twice when it runs in front of a batten. Don't bother trying to nail a nail into the lip that will be lapped as it too close to the edge and the other nail can't be hidden anyway. Most sheds get the brown colouring put on and any heads of nails that rust are unnoticed in no time.

Advertisement