Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diy Solar water heating

Options
  • 08-07-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering about DIY solar heating installation panels.
    Maybe this is a stupid question but can the solar panels be installed and piped into existing hot water circuit with a circulating pump on this circuit without the need to rip out existing cylinder and install a costly new one.
    What's the difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

http://www.willis-renewables.com/

You will need this if you don't want to take out existing copper cylinder

Made by a Northern Ireland company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I would be extremely careful about anybody willing to carry out a DIY solar installation. They would not recognise extremely important safety measures & precautions that would have to put in place. You are dealing with very high temperatures & potentially high pressures.

I was called to one that blew up & parts of the roof installation were found 2 fields away. Wasn't even a DIY installation but the installation was so poor, it might as well have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

sgds wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering about DIY solar heating installation panels.
    Maybe this is a stupid question but can the solar panels be installed and piped into existing hot water circuit with a circulating pump on this circuit without the need to rip out existing cylinder and install a costly new one.
    What's the difference?

Solartwin do a DIY panel. Works quite well. Joins into the cold feed and hot water draw off. But I'd recommend it be installed by somebody who knows what their doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Solartwin do a DIY panel. Works quite well. Joins into the cold feed and hot water draw off. But I'd recommend it be installed by somebody who knows what their doing.

Isn't that the one that freezes solid every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Solar panels are quite dangerous. Miss one safety or step and you have high pressure steam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

shane0007 wrote: »
    Isn't that the one that freezes solid every year?

Ye it freezes solid and thaws when it's sunny. I got one for free 7 years ago, installed it on my house and it's still working perfectly. 70 degrees top to bottom yesterday on 300l cylinder. Only thing to be wary of is lime in the water

Advertisement