Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Davis RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Anyone know what he died from? I remember watching recent videos of him and he looked very overweight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Horrible news, ive listened to the podcasts religiously since they started Giantbomb and was a fan of his back in the gamespot days. Always made you laugh and more often than not had an unusual opinion that made you think.
    Cant even imagine what his wife is going through right now as it appears he died on his honeymoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

That's really terrible news. I haven't listened to the bomb cast since I started working in an office with really aggressive web filtering, but when I did it really made my day a lot more tolerable. He'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Sad news. I'm a big fan of the Giant Bombcast and Ryan Davis was a big part of what makes the podcast work.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Just heard the news in the last hour. Still can't believe it. I listened to him and the gang while I drove to work most days, and truly felt like he was one of my mates. It's hard to explain, but he just had that effect on you. He put his heart on the line always. He will be remembered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

No idea who he is but 34 is many many decades to young rip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Very sad news. Couldn't believe it when I heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Sad news alright , R.I.P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really don't like the Giantbombcast but someone dying like that so young is pretty terrible. Scary as well since I'm getting close to the same age. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

**** just saw it there on Giant Bomb, thought they'd made a cock-up as the first thing I saw was Ryan's Game of The Year Top 10 2011, then saw the awful headline below.

I listen to the Bombcast, and Ryan always come across as the most down to earth of all of them. Damn it, on his last podcast he sounded so happy to be getting married. He was really the heart and soul of Giant Bomb, he always seemed to manage to keep the others in check. His passion for gaming always came through his slightly cynical, acerbic side. Seemed to be a very warm hearted guy underneath it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Crazy news. I was never a frequent visitor to GiantBomb but I ALWAYS listened to the GiantBombCast. Even if it did often have a runtime of 3 hours or so I still listened and never regretted it. Always a good listen with quite a variety of personalities. Ryan was such a likeable character. His twitter feed was often cryptic, weird and random but was still one of the funniest character on the podcast. Even the most recent one lacked what Ryan brought to the table.
    He'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

The one thing Giant Bomb have managed to do incredibly well is set a real sense of community and ownership for fans of the site. I listen the podcast, and very very occassionally check out the forums, and I really have a big sense of fondness for the crew on the site. I've enjoyed some of their videos and stuff, but they are very very active in their community. It was quite easy to just chat away to pretty much any of the staff members through email, the behind the scenes guys are incredibly down to earth and approachable, which really does give the site a very personal feel if you spend any bit of time on there.

I'm very surprised just how much of a sense of loss I feel about him passing. Possibly as it's close to my age, and all that too. But I did and do have an odd connection with the Bombcast, particularly Ryan, from listening to the podcast, we seemed to share a very similar sense of humour. A few years back I made a dumb joke Twitter account, and Ryan retweeted a question I'd asked him which led to a couple of hundred followers. I knew I'd hit just the right level of dumb if he liked it. He was the only person I tweeted at too, because of all the video game journalists (it was a slightly nerdy joke so was going for my target audience) I thought that if he didn't like it, it wasn't good enough. Just recently spotted him posting on the Comedy Bang Bang forums, which just confirmed that we had at least a large crossover in our senses of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I can barely believe it. Ryan had just tied the knot. This is so sad/sudden. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

When I initially saw the headlines of "saying goodbye" to Ryan Davis I just assumed he was leaving Giant Bomb after getting married to move on to a new job. It never entered my mind that he could have died. It's tragic that his family & friends were celebrating his wedding only a few days ago and are now mourning his loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

He was one of those people that I felt very close to, despite the fact that I never have, or never would have met him in real life. I always listened to the bombcast as much as I could, but haven't tuned in for the last month or two. Such a huge personality that always came across in all of his work. Way too young. I know that he was having trouble with sleep apnea lately, that might have something to do with it. Tragic for it to happen so close to his wedding :( Tuuueeesssdays won't be the same for a lot of people anymore. RIP

Well theres a new bombcast up and by all accounts its incredibly hard to listen to, you might want to get some tissues ready and have someone to hug

I just started listening to it. I can tell it's going to be hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Just downloaded it, noticed this terribly unfortunate targeted advert on the page.

The podcast is a great tribute. Some very funny stories in it. Really moving at the end too.

About halfway through it and there isn't anything really upsetting but they are generally just telling stories about him. Probably the most appropriate way to have eulogised him.
    Has it been confirmed how he died? or are you guessing it?

• Advertisement

About halfway through it and there isn't anything really upsetting but they are generally just telling stories about him. Probably the most appropriate way to have eulogised him.
    Has it been confirmed how he died? or are you guessing it?

I havent seen anyone confrim it but its quite easy to guess it as being a heart problem due to his weight or possibly something to do with sleep or heat considering his last few tweets, i think the family have made the right decision not to disclose it though as it could lead to some nastiness as the internet tends to do

They mentioned this on the podcast. This is real, it was on the Hollywoodlife celeb gossip website.

If you knew Ryan's sense of humour and type of dumb silliness he loved so much....well, I have a feeling he is laughing hard somewhere over this now.

oLRp0e6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This Year have made a memorial compilation podcast with some of Ryan's best moments.

http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2013/07/s5-ryan-davis-memorial.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Listened to the Bombcast tribute, it was a perfect eulogy. That Holywood Life stuff is hilarious, he would have loved it.

Quite a lot of talk about health, fitness and going to the doc in this week's episode.

Advertisement