Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mdf skirting and architrave

Options
  • 08-07-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I am building a new house at the moment and plan on getting oak doors. What does mdf skirting and architrave look like? Would it look well with the oak doors? Is there different looks I can get with mdf. Can the mdf be varnished or does it need to be painted? Obviously I know nothing about this so all help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Personally I think painted frames, architrave and skirting draw more attention to the solid doors. It looks better but some will argue that they will get dirty and marked easier with a brush or mop. If your going to use mdf I'd suggest using moisture resistant mdf, if you want tp use wood tulipwood would be suitable for painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

woodturner wrote: »
    Personally I think painted frames, architrave and skirting draw more attention to the solid doors. It looks better but some will argue that they will get dirty and marked easier with a brush or mop. If your going to use mdf I'd suggest using moisture resistant mdf, if you want tp use wood tulipwood would be suitable for painting.

You can veneered MDF skirting and architrave to match you doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

You can veneered MDF skirting and architrave to match you doors.

Veneered MDF shows its fibres as opposed to natural grain. If your painting it then just use normal MDF (cheaper that veneered) although MDF skirting and arch is not that common and as such I can't imagine there is a huge savings over red or white deal which are pre moulded ready to go. Anyways if painting seal and paint before you install.

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    Veneered MDF shows its fibres as opposed to natural grain. If your painting it then just use normal MDF (cheaper that veneered) although MDF skirting and arch is not that common and as such I can't imagine there is a huge savings over red or white deal which are pre moulded ready to go. Anyways if painting seal and paint before you install.

Where in gods name did you hear that? Veneered MDF is made with MDF and a real wood veneer. It shows the grain perfectly not fibers. I have fitted, stained and lacquered plenty of veneered MDF with out one complaint off anyone

Where in gods name did you hear that? Veneered MDF is made with MDF and a real wood veneer. It shows the grain perfectly not fibers. I have fitted, stained and lacquered plenty of veneered MDF with out one complaint off anyone

Correct and right if you are dealing with flat pieces, If on the other hand you profile them for use as skirting or arch then you cut through the veneer and hence you see the beyond the veneer. Apologies if I was not clear earlier.

• Advertisement

Correct and right if you are dealing with flat pieces, If on the other hand you profile them for use as skirting or arch then you cut through the veneer and hence you see the beyond the veneer. Apologies if I was not clear earlier.
    Rubbish iv fitted plenty of non flat veneered skirting and architrave over the years

Rubbish iv fitted plenty of non flat veneered skirting and architrave over the years

OK now I realise your talking through your hole, if you run a piece of timber through a spindle moulder it will profile it, fact because that's what they do. Now if you runs piece of veneered MDF through it it will also profile it, the veneer is only about .5mm thick and it does not magically reform its self around the profile, when the cutter cuts it cuts everything.
    Now maybe it is possible to purchase premoulded MDF skirting where the veneer was applied after the moulding but that's not what were talking about.

OK now I realise your talking through your hole, if you run a piece of timber through a spindle moulder it will profile it, fact because that's what they do. Now if you runs piece of veneered MDF through it it will also profile it, the veneer is only about .5mm thick and it does not magically reform its self around the profile, when the cutter cuts it cuts everything.

Now maybe it is possible to purchase premoulded MDF skirting where the veneer was applied after the moulding but that's not what were talking about.

How am I talking through my hole? I never said about running veneered MDF through a spindle! I said Pre veneered MDF skirting which means moulded MDF wit the veneer applied after it has been moulded

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

Hi all.
    I am building a new house at the moment and plan on getting oak doors. What does mdf skirting and architrave look like? Would it look well with the oak doors? Is there different looks I can get with mdf. Can the mdf be varnished or does it need to be painted? Obviously I know nothing about this so all help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

There are 2 types of mdf oak skirting,one is covered with veneer oak and another would be a pvc (plastic )oak.If you want to match your doors the veneered oak is the one to go for,or a dearer option would be solid oak skirting of course.

the veneer can be varnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Hi all.
    Thanks.

We went for MDF skirting with the oak doors. Painted it an off white colour(my wife calls it twill if that means anything.)
    Loads of different options you can get. we went for taller than standard one called victoriana.

General Tip: if you're tiling your bathroom walls your tiller will only allow for standard architrave so larger ones will have to be cut to fit if unless you tell him in advance.
    Personally I think painted frames, architrave and skirting draw more attention to the solid doors.

I agree it highlights the Oak doors. Makes them a feature rather than blending with the background.
    Here's what ours look like
    architrave.JPG

and here it is in oak
    It looks better but some will argue that they will get dirty and marked easier with a brush or mop.

No marks on ours even in the kitchen.

• Advertisement

How am I talking through my hole? I never said about running veneered MDF through a spindle! I said Pre veneered MDF skirting which means moulded MDF wit the veneer applied after it has been moulded

I think we have crossed wires, I thought you were saying that profiling the edge wouldn't show the fibre. That's what I had an issue with. You are quite correct, thats not an issue with the post veneered stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wood veneer can be vacuum wrapped onto the moulded MDF.;)

edit, apologies, look like the confusion was sorted. should have read all posts first.

Advertisement