Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Ring got it right about the weather again?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭

Science crowd believe its impossible to predict the weather more than 14 days out?

by PATRICK COUNIHAN, IrishCentral Reporter
    Published Thursday, January 3, 2013, 6:19 AMUpdated Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 12:39 PM

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ire...g-gathers-pace.

Ireland is set for a scorching summer as thousands come home for The
    Gathering, according to a world renowned weather expert.

New Zealand based long range forecaster Ken Ring is predicting a long, hot summer after years of washouts according to the Irish Sun newspaper.

Ring uses the moon, sun and tidal activity to make his forecasts months in advance.

He shot to prominence in Ireland when he predicted the Arctic winter two years ago.

The Kiwi has predicted a wet spring and patchy rain in June before temperatures soar in July and August.

He is forecasting that temperatures will hit a high last seen in 1995.

He told the paper: “Temperatures may reach 30°C or more in July’s second week, which may cause some media talk about a heatwave.

“August may be a month of prolonged sunshine spells and even drought conditions with a period of 15 or more days on which no rainfall is expected in some areas. September will be balmy.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

whoo hoo \o/

Lets hope he is right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Science crowd believe its impossible to predict the weather more than 14 days out?

by PATRICK COUNIHAN, IrishCentral Reporter
    Published Thursday, January 3, 2013, 6:19 AMUpdated Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 12:39 PM

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ire...g-gathers-pace.

New Zealand based long range forecaster Ken Ring is predicting a long, hot summer after years of washouts according to the Irish Sun newspaper.

Ring uses the moon, sun and tidal activity to make his forecasts months in advance.

He shot to prominence in Ireland when he predicted the Arctic winter two years ago.

The Kiwi has predicted a wet spring and patchy rain in June before temperatures soar in July and August.

He is forecasting that temperatures will hit a high last seen in 1995.

He told the paper: “Temperatures may reach 30°C or more in July’s second week, which may cause some media talk about a heatwave.

“August may be a month of prolonged sunshine spells and even drought conditions with a period of 15 or more days on which no rainfall is expected in some areas. September will be balmy.”

Well he sure got that wrong, it was cold and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

He gets it wrong a lot more than he gets it right. So I wouldn't exactly call him an expert on weather if he gets it right every once and a while. The vast majority of his winter predictions were entirely off.(From reading the weather forum) New Zealand doesn't think much of him either..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10857956

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

If you go into to today fm and find ken ring forcast he was as far out as fanad in predicting it. The week he gave in june was fecking wettest I can remember. he also gave wet for first three months, it was dry and cold. He don't know his arse from his elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

So he predicted good weather in summer, I could have done that. One of these years he was bound to be right. Moreover, 'scorching' is relative, I'd define scorching as above 30 degrees or so, the current temperatures are tolerable but certainly not what I'd define as 'scorching'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have two words for y'all: Confirmation Bias. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

mike65 wrote: »
    Well he sure got that wrong, it was cold and dry.

March, April and May is Spring and it was raining does months he got it right actually.

June we got one week of sunshine and patchy rain. He was right actually.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    He gets it wrong a lot more than he gets it right. So I wouldn't exactly call him an expert on weather if he gets it right every once and a while. The vast majority of his winter predictions were entirely off.(From reading the weather forum) New Zealand doesn't think much of him either..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10857956

e South Island hydro lakes region, None of us live there so we don't know if he got it wrong or not?

So he predicted good weather in summer, I could have done that. One of these years he was bound to be right. Moreover, 'scorching' is relative, I'd define scorching as above 30 degrees or so, the current temperatures are tolerable but certainly not what I'd define as 'scorching'.

He predicted it all in the second week of July. Exactly right. We haven't got nice weather in July for years, so it wasn't exactly a credible prediction was it? Yet he is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I'm not sure if he's a spoofer or uses some kind of crazy black magic for his predictions, so I suggest we burn him on a giant bonfire just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement

March, April and May is Spring and it was raining does months he got it right actually.

June we got one week of sunshine and patchy rain. He was right actually.

I'll invite you to read the Met.ie summary for Spring.

It does depend where you happen to live as well of course - Dublin was actually wetter than average by some distance (I suspect that mega wet Friday in May was responsible for most of that)

Just looking back at some headlines for the summer weather predictions - make of them what you will :)

CRAZY FORECAST FOR SIZZLING SUMMER
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/promise-of-summer-sun-ridiculous-1.1070412

WASH OUT SUMMER
    http://www.thestar.ie/star/another-summer-washout-on-way/

I'm not sure if he's a spoofer or uses some kind of crazy black magic for his predictions, so I suggest we burn him on a giant bonfire just to be on the safe side.

Nope.

Ring uses the moon, sun and tidal activity to make his forecasts months in advance. Ancient man used a similar method. I don't think its 100 per cent accurate and Ken ring likely has made some mistakes along the way predicting the weather. Hes been successful for the most part.

mike65 wrote: »
    I'll invite you to read the Met.ie summary for Spring.

It does depend where you happen to live as well of course - Dublin was actually wetter than average by some distance (I suspect that mega wet Friday in May was responsible for most of that)

Just looking back at some headlines for the summer weather predictions - make of them what you will :)

CRAZY FORECAST FOR SIZZLING SUMMER
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/promise-of-summer-sun-ridiculous-1.1070412

WASH OUT SUMMER
    http://www.thestar.ie/star/another-summer-washout-on-way/

Hes prediction of a July heatwave seemed nuts only a few months ago. Those news articles are good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nope.

Ring uses the moon, sun and tidal activity to make his forecasts months in advance. Ancient man used a similar method. I don't think its 100 per cent accurate and Ken ring likely has made some mistakes along the way predicting the weather. Hes been successful for the most part.

Reackon anyone could predict Irelands weather and be right for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The moon told me last night that on the second week of December, we're going to have cold dry weather, patchy frost, and temperatures no higher than 10 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Nope.

Ring uses the moon, sun and tidal activity to make his forecasts months in advance. Ancient man used a similar method. Hes been successful for the most part.

I'm not quite sure how this would work. The sun, moon and the tides have been following the same predictable pattern for quite some time.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/weatherpredicting-postman-delivers-super-summer-forecast-29361599.html

Our local spoofer in donegal seems to have made the same startling claim that our summer will be warm claiming that he has not heard the curlew yet which is a sign of a bad summer. There is another reason he might not have heard them yet.....They're in a major decline in Ireland!

Ken Ring mentioned an 18 year lunar cycle thus linking 2013 to 1995 however if you attempt to link 1995 to 1977

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip-eden/Jubilee-weather-history.htm
    http://www.london-weather.eu/article.116.html

it doesn't work. Though it does for 1959! Which was a dry sunny scorcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Nope.

The weather would be predictable for the next 1000 years by this logic..... Strange how he gets it wrong so often. He used to be over on the weather forum, nobody took him seriously and their predictions were far more accurate. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Nope.

Well it still sounds like Black Magic to me and I feel really strongly that we should burn him with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The weather would be predictable for the next 1000 years by this logic..... Strange how he gets it wrong so often. He used to be over on the weather forum, nobody took him seriously and their predictions were far more accurate. ;)
    I questioned him a few times on the weather forum about how wrong he got it and all he did was talk in circles like a politician to try and convince me that he never got the forecast wrong. Some people believe him even though they never check his forecasts:rolleyes: They listen too much to the media glorifying him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If you tested these long term predictions using standardised statistical and scientific methods they would fail embarrassingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Sky King wrote: »
    If you tested these long term predictions using standardised statistical and scientific methods they would fail embarrassingly.

why don't all the meteorological services not use his methods and not bother with using actually scientifically proven methods if he is so good?

Its like a gambling man will always let you know about his wins and never his losses. If you bet enough you will be right some of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

met eireann should recruit him

what would his transfer fee be??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

fryup wrote: »
    met eireann should recruit him

what would his transfer fee be??

Think they're trying to recruit Robbie Keane. Keane has come out and said that it's his boyhood dream to work for Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

could you imagine Robbie Keane doing the weather:D

no one would understand him with that heavy dub accent of his, they'd have to use subtitles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So ring got August weather wrong so far. Radio stations are saying nothing about him just waiting for his next pot luck prediction to glorify him again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ken Ring is predicting a long, hot summer....

Wrong. Apart from that three week stretch back in July, there has been no long hot summer. I suspect Mr. Ring doesn't realise that there are three months in summer and apart from July, his prediction was way off.
    August may be a month of prolonged sunshine spells and even drought conditions with a period of 15 or more days on which no rainfall is expected in some areas.

And wrong again. We've all been waiting for the much promised return of the July heatwave. No sign of it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Sun is splitting the stones here.

Thanks Ken!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Even a stopped clock is right two times a day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Between the weather forum, the feedback forum and all that crap, I think we have enough places on boards to discuss the validity of Mr. Ring's claims without it clogging after hours also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement