Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREE Fees & student grant for EU national

Options
  • 07-07-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I would really appreciate if someone could clear up things below as I'm totally confused. Relative of mine from EU intends to study in Ireland and I'm looking clarification on what's available to her.

1) FREE FEES - she's eligible for free fees so does she still need to apply somewhere or complete susi application or is this something that gets allocated automatically when she's enrolled to a course?

2) STUDENT GRANT
    a) on studentfinance website says that EU applicants are only eligible for a grant for tuition fees. SO if she's eligible for FREE fees there is no need and no point to apply to SUSI at all?

BUT

b) on SUSI website it is clearly noted that EU applicant can apply and is eligible for a fee only student grant. It does not mention tuition only, and when I check the definition of FEE GRANT on studentfinance website here it mentions that FEE GRANT also includes grant for student contribution. Is she also eligible for student contribution grant?

So confusing! Please help!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

declau wrote: »
    I would really appreciate if someone could clear up things below as I'm totally confused. Relative of mine from EU intends to study in Ireland and I'm looking clarification on what's available to her.

1) FREE FEES - she's eligible for free fees so does she still need to apply somewhere or complete susi application or is this something that gets allocated automatically when she's enrolled to a course?

2) STUDENT GRANT
    a) on studentfinance website says that EU applicants are only eligible for a grant for tuition fees. SO if she's eligible for FREE fees there is no need and no point to apply to SUSI at all?

BUT

b) on SUSI website it is clearly noted that EU applicant can apply and is eligible for a fee only student grant. It does not mention tuition only, and when I check the definition of FEE GRANT on studentfinance website here it mentions that FEE GRANT also includes grant for student contribution. Is she also eligible for student contribution grant?

So confusing! Please help!

Thank you!

I may be wrong, but I believe she will get her tuition fees paid but not her student contribution fee. I think you have to be an Irish resident for 3 of the last 5 years.

The student contribution fee this year is €2,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 declau

Thanks Mark, I thought so too at first, but then noticed that SUSI website mentions FEE GRANT (Does not mention tuition only) and studentfinance website defines FEE GRANT as Tuition Fee, Student Contribution/Registration and Field Trip element. This is where I got confused. Furthermore I don't understand, if she gets FREE tuition fees only, does she still need to apply through SUSI? SUSI say she has to, UCD website says she doesn't. SUSI Application requires PPS number which she obviously doesn't have and she's not here presently to obtain one as awaiting exam results abroad. I guess this could not get more confusing and complicated..

You don't need to apply to Susi for the tuition fees. I believe it's just automatically removed. You don't need to apply anywhere. If she is offered a place in an Irish college/university it will cost €2,500 this year, plus whatever admin fee the college applies. This can be anywhere up to about €250. It depends on the college she goes to, they set the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 declau

That clears up things because that's what I though and hence the reason left this so late. If I know that she's not eligible for student contribution grant and there is no need to apply to SUSI to avail of free tuition fees then all is fine. I was going mental today calling PPS office to get PPS etc, calling SUSI (who by the way are useless as they told me that I need to apply through them anyway to avail of free tuition fees, I think it's a UK based call centre I was dealing with, are there no people in Ireland to employ???). Thanks again Mark

declau wrote: »
    That clears up things because that's what I though and hence the reason left this so late. If I know that she's not eligible for student contribution grant and there is no need to apply to SUSI to avail of free tuition fees then all is fine. I was going mental today calling PPS office to get PPS etc, calling SUSI (who by the way are useless as they told me that I need to apply through them anyway to avail of free tuition fees, I think it's a UK based call centre I was dealing with, are there no people in Ireland to employ???). Thanks again Mark

Once she satisfies these criteria (http://campus.ie/college-life/money-matters/free-fees-initiative) I'm 95% certain she doesn't have to apply for anything. I'm sure someone else on here could inform you 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jamieflood

Once she satisfies these criteria (http://campus.ie/college-life/money-matters/free-fees-initiative) I'm 95% certain she doesn't have to apply for anything. I'm sure someone else on here could inform you 100%.

it says tuition fee students dont get any maintance a all ??? what does that mean does that imply to EU applicants who have no irish passport and have to pay eu fees ?????

jamieflood wrote: »
    it says tuition fee students dont get any maintance a all ??? what does that mean does that imply to EU applicants who have no irish passport and have to pay eu fees ?????

I don't see where it says that? Maintainence and student contribution are covered by a grant from SUSI if you're eligible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

SUSI can be very confusing and the words and letters they provide can at times be unclear e.g. I am aware of an EU Student who was not eligible for Free Fees (i.e. liable for tuition and student contribution) receive full payment from SUSI plus maintenance.

If you can I would recommend applying to SUSI anyway...there is no harm in applying.

Students are assessed for free fees based on the information they provide on their application. If there is a question regarding fees students are brought in for fee assessment as it can be tricky. Generally the default settings for CAO students is eligible for free fees - the college simply claims from the dept for this amount. They remain liable for the Student Contribution Charge.

Best option is really to contact the College direct if you can :)

Advertisement