Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hauntings at Charleville Castle

Options
  • 07-07-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

I experienced nothing, Its not very clean and very drafty. Money in the past gets pumped into the place but it doesnt seem any of it goes into restoring the house itself.

So you are left with a drafty house, broken windows alot of banging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Never experienced anything apart from a cat jumping at me in the pitch dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

noises (clapping and knocking) caught on video tape, odd light anomaly, bulb shattered in the flashlight I was using...good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Attended a concert there, beautiful venue, fire was lit, the main room done up.
    However, and I would be fairly spiritually aware, I did not notice anything unusual. One thing I would say, was that I was reluctant to use the bathroom downstairs! I did feel a bit edgy, was probably only the power of suggestion at play!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ruthie Roo

I spent the night there during a Paranormal Investigation.

Didn't really experience anything apart from a few of us hearing a baby crying on the top floor of the staircase but as far as I am aware that's near the families area I think? ( Open to correction on that )

• Advertisement

Ruthie Roo wrote: »
    I spent the night there during a Paranormal Investigation.

Didn't really experience anything apart from a few of us hearing a baby crying on the top floor of the staircase but as far as I am aware that's near the families area I think? ( Open to correction on that )
    Or possible one of the hundreds of cats living in the place, not to mention the birds that live there also or even another bit of wild life that could have easily gotten in, foxes are know to sound like children crying. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ruthie Roo

Ziycon wrote: »
    Or possible one of the hundreds of cats living in the place, not to mention the birds that live there also or even another bit of wild life that could have easily gotten in, foxes are know to sound like children crying. ;)

I think we know what a baby sounds like, but I never said I thought it was paranormal, you may want to reread.. I said as far as I know it's quite close to the family area ie there may have been a baby there that night ( a real one :-P ) ;)

Ruthie Roo wrote: »
    I think we know what a baby sounds like, but I never said I thought it was paranormal, you may want to reread.. I said as far as I know it's quite close to the family area ie there may have been a baby there that night ( a real one :-P ) ;)
    I thought I knew what a child crying sounded like until I heard a child crying out my back-garden, safe to say I was a bit worried considering there are no children in the house, after checking it out it was a fox and cat having a stand off, which I have heard numerous times since.

Until you can prove it was a child or you witnessed the child crying it could very well have been an animal.

Also I never suggested anything about paranormal, just commenting on the comparison of a child crying sounding very similar to a fox and even a cat at that considering the openness of the building and the amount of cats in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Ziycon wrote: »
    I thought I knew what a child crying sounded like until I heard a child crying out my back-garden, safe to say I was a bit worried considering there are no children in the house, after checking it out it was a fox and cat having a stand off, which I have heard numerous times since.

Until you can prove it was a child or you witnessed the child crying it could very well have been an animal.

Also I never suggested anything about paranormal, just commenting on the comparison of a child crying sounding very similar to a fox and even a cat at that considering the openness of the building and the amount of cats in the place.

My bf's parents cat cries like a child when it's scared or getting ready for a fight. Frightened the sh*te out of me, I thought there was a baby getting mauled in the garden....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

A group from the Photography forum visit the castle every year, sleeping in the morning room or camping outside - don't believe that anyone has seen/heard anything out of the ordinary/scarier than ourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I've been there in the past (attending and organising investigations) and had a fair few goings on when I did go... that said of course, I'm going to have to think about my experiences as it has been a while since I've been there, given I moved out of the country a while ago, but stopped going there for the past 5 years due to lack of funds to travel! I might actually have to go there again soon and arrange an "investigation"; it's been far too long since I've been doing anything paranormal.

Admittedly though, I'm likely to be slightly more professional regarding some of the stuff I do compared to in the past, given I've had a little bit of "training".

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mr jelly bean

THERE twice and noting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Stayed there years ago.....nothing weird happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mr jelly bean

think its all for money for the castle just to get people in sorry but its only my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

My other half was taking photos of Charleville House as a possible location for a film. He took loads of photos including this one of the main staircase. He saw absolutely nothing when he took this snap but when he was uploading the pics later that evening he got a bit of a shock when he saw this strange shadowy shape! Zoom in and have a look for yourself! Looks like it's coming out through the banister from the right hand side. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

I stayed overnight there a few years back and I hated it but I think it's because i'd jump at my own shadow so I got myself all wound up that I could hear banging etc. but i don't think any of it actually happened!! It is a beautiful place but I wouldn't be bothered going back again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Pretty impressive/interesting. But, it does look like it's got something to do with the sun light entering from the rear window. I'm hoping to be corrected on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I've been to Charleville Castle during the daytime in 2011, and myself and this trio of Americans were given a tour of the interior - detailing both the history of, and reported paranormal activity within, the castle.

Seeing as I happened to have a digital recorder with me in the car, I decided to set it to 'record' during the tour, in case I'd capture any EVP. While the tour was really interesting, I can't say I experienced anything paranormal or unexplainable during the approximate 40 minutes. Nor did I capture any EVP.

But, based on that, I wouldn't dismiss all the many claims of paranormal activity outright either. There's no smoke without fire, right? The lady who led us around, and who informed us of her own experiences therein and other experiences reported to her (which, FYI, almost always occurred at night - maybe that's why I experienced nothing unusual during my own daytime visit?), used to post on this forum regularly before.
    I can't recall her Boards username right now, but her first name is Traze and, at one stage, she was involved in a Dublin-based paranormal investigation group. Nice lady and, to be fair, she said she always looked for and then ruled out (as the case may be) possible rational explanations for her own paranormal experiences inside the castle.

BTW, herself and a small, but dedicated, team of people also run (or did run anyway) overnight, open paranormal investigations of the castle - which was probably where many of the 'haunted testimonies' in more recent years have stemmed from.
    More importantly, the profits from those investigations (and, BTW, I don't know how much those cost per head - all I know is that the day tour I took cost about €10 p.p.) all went towards the renovation and upkeep of the castle.

Speaking of 'haunted testimonies', I remember Traze telling us about a fellow, female team member being locked by an unseen force(?) inside in the library/study one night. Apparently the door had been unlocked/open shortly before that from outside, and there definitely wasn't anyone else within the vicinity (all people and their whereabouts had been accounted for). While the girl was locked inside there, a random, heavy book hurled itself from a shelf of books overhead at her.

Then, if I recall this rightly, after the girl made yet another attempt to flee the room, she found the door opened for her without any difficulty. Traze told us that, traditionally, that library/study had been strictly for the use of the men of the castle only, and no female had ever been permitted to enter. Traze and Co. surmised that that girl's hostile experience in that room emanated from an angry male spirit's indignation at a female being present in that room.

All very interesting anyway.

Advertisement