Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Holland

Options
  • 07-07-2013 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Nice win for the lads today. Bowling out them for 148 was impressive. Kevin O'Brien getting in amongst the wickets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Was good result alright, hopefully more of the same tomorrow to finish off the qualification with a win. Am I wrong in thinking that they now qualified for the world cup? All the headlines I can find say they are on the verge but as far as I can tell from the table no can catch them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

If you to follow ball by ball coverage, you can follow it by this link.

Peter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ireland finish on 268 for 5 in the opening innings today. Should be good enough for the win methinks.

Ireland finish on 268 for 5 in the opening innings today. Should be good enough for the win methinks.

Should be enough, very good innings from Joyce, really should have gotten his century in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Anywhere streaming this game?

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Anywhere streaming this game?

Yeah it's streaming on the ICC site icc-cricket.com

Thats my afternoon sorted so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Tie - last ball gone for a six!

Why oh why could Mooney not just stick one on his toes when they needed 6 off the last ball to tie? :confused: Stupid bowling, especially given that he gave him a nice sighter of his bouncer the delivery before that was dispatched for 4.

Fair play to Holland; thats a good chase.

Poor bowling from money at the end and what about the single they turned down to try and get Joyce a century at the end of our innings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's a terrible time attacking, really is.

But qualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Fecking tie! 6 off the last ball-sick as a small hospital

That's a terrible time attacking, really is.

But qualified?

Yeah we are only needed the one point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Congratulations Ireland. I was living in South Africa the last time the WC was played in Aussie & NZ. Get ready for some late nights folks...lol.

BUT, on a serious note, where to for Ireland from here ICC? We have done it 3 times in a row now, where do we go from here? You want the game to grow? The ONLY way, as far as I can see for Ireland 's sake, is give us TEST STATUS! I believe we can give as good we get from the likes of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, New Zealand & The Windies, and can give Pakistan ( on current form) a run for their money. Now surely, is the time for us to get into the 5 day format.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    You want the game to grow?

Unfortunately for us I am in no way convinced that the ICC have any interest in the game growing beyond the ten current test nations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Congratulations Ireland. I was living in South Africa the last time the WC was played in Aussie & NZ. Get ready for some late nights folks...lol.

BUT, on a serious note, where to for Ireland from here ICC? We have done it 3 times in a row now, where do we go from here? You want the game to grow? The ONLY way, as far as I can see for Ireland 's sake, is give us TEST STATUS! I believe we can give as good we get from the likes of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, New Zealand & The Windies, and can give Pakistan ( on current form) a run for their money. Now surely, is the time for us to get into the 5 day format.

Ireland would definitely give Bangladesh and Zimbabwe a game but I think the Kiwis, Windies and Pakistan would all beat Ireland fairly handily as things stand. Down the line, without their best players being poached by England, they might be in a position to challenge. As has been said though, ICC is happy enough with their closed shop, and can't see it changing anytime soon.

Ireland would definitely give Bangladesh and Zimbabwe a game but I think the Kiwis, Windies and Pakistan would all beat Ireland fairly handily as things stand. Down the line, without their best players being poached by England, they might be in a position to challenge. As has been said though, ICC is happy enough with their closed shop, and can't see it changing anytime soon.

You could well be right but so what if we can beat Zim and Bangladesh? There we are, up to 9th straight away.

I firmly believe, depending on which Pakistan side turns up, we have the beating of them somewhere down the road. And as having watched the Kiwi's last summer in SA, they were absolutly slaughtered, both away and home. As for the Windies? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Result today also means Ireland win the competition with two games to spare. A bit disappointing that Ireland were sloppy at times today but I'd have taken the point with 4 or 5 overs to go.

Hopefully finish the year off with two wins over Scotland and win out the Inter-Continental Cup and it'll have been another good year.

Either way I think Ireland need more games against a higher standard of opposition in the next couple of years if we aren't to eventually stagnate and come back towards the pack in the associate members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 j72twr6f4e5ako

Congratulations to Ireland on qualifying for the world cup. As an England supporter I would love to see you guys given test status, you absolutely deserve it, and I wish the ICC would make it a priority.

Congratulations to Ireland on qualifying for the world cup. As an England supporter I would love to see you guys given test status, you absolutely deserve it, and I wish the ICC would make it a priority.

Thanks for the voxcal support Davina Whining Slab......Red half, hopefully?:D

On another note, what is happening at Trent Bridge? 14 wickets in one day? This Test will never see Sunday, eh? LONG LIVE TEST MATCH CRICKET, I say!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Wrote an article in the aftermath, thought you might be interested Testing the Waters

Also, the Ireland and Dutch u17s are facing off in the Mardyke in Cork on Tuesday - Thursday (Two 50 over games and one T20) so if you're around the area the ground is looking very well in the sunshine! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 j72twr6f4e5ako

Thanks for the voxcal support MsMcr......Red half, hopefully?:D

On another note, what is happening at Trent Bridge? 14 wickets in one day? This Test will never see Sunday, eh? LONG LIVE TEST MATCH CRICKET, I say!!!

Red, yes, but LFC fan actually but in truth not really into football these days, I'm all about the cricket. :D

Fun and games at Trent Bridge but I'm honestly not all that surprised given the way England matches have a habit of going recently. First session tomorrow will be crucial. England need quick wickets to stop the Aussies building a good total and potentially a big lead. Exciting stuff!
    Not sure why it started on a Wednesday. Definitely feel sorry for those with weekend tickets.
    As you say, long live test cricket, can't beat it. :)

Test cricket should always be played Thursday to Monday; whoever decided to change that should be publically flogged. Dont even get me started on back to back test matches...

Wrote an article in the aftermath, thought you might be interested Testing the Waters

Also, the Ireland and Dutch u17s are facing off in the Mardyke in Cork on Tuesday - Thursday (Two 50 over games and one T20) so if you're around the area the ground is looking very well in the sunshine! :D

For anyone with an inkling for the sport, I highly recommend this read...EXCELLENT article Kevin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

For anyone with an inkling for the sport, I highly recommend this read...EXCELLENT article Kevin!

Thanks very much for the kind words! Will be updating the blog with other articles anyway, including cricket ones

Advertisement