Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job wise is this a sense able choice

Options
  • 07-07-2013 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I currently do biomedical science, I failed two modules and I'm due to resit. This is a very disappointing turn out for me because during the year in uni I've been complaining how much I hate the course. I'm a first year btw

Anyways basically I would like to continue this course mainly because of the respect I get from just saying I do it and its not half bad. I love working for the deadline assignments and studying science can be quiet fun at times, but I can't see myself working in a lab measure out bacteria and getting excited at my new finds.

I would like to do some thing around the field of media or fashion. I have no idea if I could actually make it in this field because I have no idea if I'm good enough to.I don't want to jump into something I'm going to be told am bad at as usual.

I'm sick of people saying follow your heart/dreams especially when they are doing a good course, my heart has never been right about anything before so trusting my heart now would be silly. But there have been people that tell me science is were the money is at and I shouldn't waste my time with media. University cost money and I'm already spending money doing this course.

my question is what should I do? how do I find out how good I am at this creative side of life? is it better to just stick with biomedical science and get a good job rather than struggle and fight for something am not even sure I have a talent for? Whats the best way to decide and who's the best person to speak to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 henrystolan

I'd say stick with it.
    So many parts of media and fashion can be done as a hobby.
    If that's what you're into you'll find the time and get the experience
    outside of your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭amkeane81

What age are you? If you're young, I'd say stick with it. Its great to have a degree and even if you go a different direction, it will show you're not the type to give up. I think not wanting to repeat may be clouding your judgement a little. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

amkeane81 wrote: »
    What age are you? If you're young, I'd say stick with it. Its great to have a degree and even if you go a different direction, it will show you're not the type to give up. I think not wanting to repeat may be clouding your judgement a little. Best of luck!

I'm 19. resitting is a problem its just two exams and I'm done. I am never one to give up when it comes to that but I've been feeling this ever since young, when I was constantly pushed in the science field, but I do understand what you are saying and I now realize that you re both right. I'm going to finish my course by force.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

So, you've just finished first year in the course, which means you have 3 years left ? Honestly, if you really dislike the course I'd say to drop out of it. There's nothing worse than doing something you have a real distaste for. You mentioned that you failed 2 modules in first year. If you failed 2 in first year, what's the likelihood of you failing more in 2nd/3rd/4th year as the exams get tougher/more in depth? Like, there's no point in paying all that money for college if you think you're going to fail the course in the end.

I understand where the other users' are coming from saying that you should go on as you've only a "short" time left, but what is the point in finishing the course if you don't see yourself ever working in an environment where the qualifications of this course are necessary? That just seems pointless, really. Fashion/Media and science are completely different! :P That's like being in your first year of college doing teaching (for example) while you hate the course, and just saying that you might as well finish it despite the fact that you're never going to (or want to) work as a teacher. I just find that pointless and time-wasting.

I'd always tell people to follow their heart in whatever course they decide to do. I hold the opinion that if you're good enough at something you'll find a job in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

ray2012 wrote: »
    So, you've just finished first year in the course, which means you have 3 years left ? Honestly, if you really dislike the course I'd say to drop out of it. There's nothing worse than doing something you have a real distaste for. You mentioned that you failed 2 modules in first year. If you failed 2 in first year, what's the likelihood of you failing more in 2nd/3rd/4th year as the exams get tougher/more in depth? Like, there's no point in paying all that money for college if you think you're going to fail the course in the end.

I understand where the other users' are coming from saying that you should go on as you've only a "short" time left, but what is the point in finishing the course if you don't see yourself ever working in an environment where the qualifications of this course are necessary? That just seems pointless, really. Fashion/Media and science are completely different! :P That's like being in your first year of college doing teaching (for example) while you hate the course, and just saying that you might as well finish it despite the fact that you're never going to (or want to) work as a teacher. I just find that pointless and time-wasting.

I'd always tell people to follow their heart in whatever course they decide to do. I hold the opinion that if you're good enough at something you'll find a job in it.

+1 I really wish I had taken this advice last year! I did a two year course in college and by the end of first year I knew deep down I hated the course. I stayed in denial and listened to parents and friends who persuaded me to stay in the course and finish it out its only another year, sure I might change my mind etc ..

I agree there is absolutely no point in finishing a course you will never work in. Sometimes it irritates me for finishing the course as I know for definite I will never ever work in my previous field again despite having a few years experience etc. Had I dropped out I could have finished first year of a course I really want to do and be going into 2nd year of it.

Believe me it will get harder and harder to go into class each day. I found myself daydreaming and staring out the window more then getting any actual work done. There wasn't enough money in the world to get me to go to class some days. It sometimes ended up pissed off my class mates if we were working in teams as I had no motivation and was bored senseless. To be fair they were very understanding and knew I would have done anything to not be there. I was lucky to have them as understanding as some people mightn't d have went as easy on me. I can't explain how unhappy I was for the final year and bored more than anything. And looking back it was a huge waste of money and time. Im just grateful the course was only two years.

Please don't continue the course because you get respect from people when you say you do that course. My cousin is doing engineering and is so unhappy yet has stayed doing the course for this reason and also to keep her mother happy. She hates the course and the line of work,I really can't see her staying in that line of work for long after the course if she hates it as much as she says she does.

The woman I work part-time for has a niece who completed the bio-medical science course and has worked for 6 years now and is so utterly and completely bored of working in a lab. She really wants to open a cafe/bakery as she is very creative and talented with food but as she has started a family she cant change career and her pay in the lab is too good to walk away from with a family to think about. On the other hand my sister is a bio-medical scientist and absolutely loves it and has worked in that field for 10 years.

(sorry for the long post! :o )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As somebody working in third level and also engaging in further study, I can only agree with the previous two posters.

If you are not doing to well and you are only in first year, it is only going to get more difficult, especially if your heart is not in it.

Get out now while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Anyways basically I would like to continue this course mainly because of the respect I get from just saying I do it and its not half bad. I love working for the deadline assignments and studying science can be quiet fun at times, but I can't see myself working in a lab measure out bacteria and getting excited at my new finds.
    Then you really should be doing something else. If you don’t find the course interesting, then the next three years are going to be hell.
    I would like to do some thing around the field of media or fashion.
    How about science media? There is a dire need for people who communicate science properly to lay people – it’s a rapidly growing industry.
    But there have been people that tell me science is were the money is at...
    Those people don’t know what they’re talking about: science is not particularly well paid. If it’s money you’re after, then science definitely ain’t for you.
    how do I find out how good I am at this creative side of life?
    By having a go at it? Go find something you’re interested in and try your hand at it in your spare time.

A few of other things. First of all, working in a lab is not necessarily the monotonous pursuit it’s often made out to be. Generally speaking, science is a lot more creative than that, but it does vary depending on the specific role. Furthermore, a degree in biomedical science does not confine you to one particular position in the labour market – you’ll have options.

Which brings me to my next point. Education is not all about career prospects. Lots of people have degrees that are almost completely unrelated to their jobs, but that doesn’t mean that their degrees were a waste of time. The point here is that, as I’ve alluded to above, a degree can be worth pursuing for it’s own sake, regardless of what you do afterwards.

But, given that you’ve said you hate the course and have little to no interest in working in science, then I really think you already know what to do. I would however suggest that you have a chat with your tutor before doing anything rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

ray2012 wrote: »
    You mentioned that you failed 2 modules in first year. If you failed 2 in first year, what's the likelihood of you failing more in 2nd/3rd/4th year as the exams get tougher/more in depth?
    I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that sentiment. Lots of people, for whatever reasons, get off to a bad start in uni, but then recover to obtain good degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I agree with the two other posts, I did an Engineering course many moons ago, failed most of exams in first year, repeated them,it was worst summer ever!! Got them and went into 2nd year, I should of dropped out, I hated it, ended up sticking with it. After graduating I worked in the area for a few years, couldnt find any area of it that I enjoyed.

Now I am in the process of starting a totally different course this September, only downside to it is that I have to pay full fees etc because I did a Degree already. Main thing is I am happy doing the course I like.

Advertisement