Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does a ranking system work?

Options
  • 07-07-2013 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

So I'm going to to try explain this as best I can and hopefully someone out there can explain it as I am unsure of a few things. Basically when a season ends, does the rankings start from scratch after the first tournament of a new season is played or is it usually better to do rankings on a two year rolling system,
    I have seen rankings that say provisonal alongside the main ranking but what does this mean?

Can someone please explain it to me and how seeding works too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Greenbaize

Also for example just say you finish 15th on the rankings at end of year, when the following season starts, if the top 16 automatically qualify for a tournament, does this mean the top 16 ranked at end of previous will get automatic qualification for all tournaments of present season or is it judged on provisional rankings during the year. So say if I finished 16th the year before, and then after first event of new season I'm provisionally ranked 20th does that mean I won't automatically qualify for next tournament because I'm provisionally 20th or will i qualify for them all that season since I finished in the top 16 the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Greenbaize wrote: »
    Hi

So I'm going to to try explain this as best I can and hopefully someone out there can explain it as I am unsure of a few things. Basically when a season ends, does the rankings start from scratch after the first tournament of a new season is played or is it usually better to do rankings on a two year rolling system,
    I have seen rankings that say provisonal alongside the main ranking but what does this mean?

Can someone please explain it to me and how seeding works too.

Is it specifically the snooker rankings you are interested in or ranking systems in particular.
    Different sports do it different ways, but in general its a rolling system, it doesn't reset at the start of the year.
    Some sports do a one year system (golf) two years (darts), some a weighted four year average (FIFA football rankings, weighted such that the most recent years count most).
    (The only time there would be a reset would be for a 'race' event, where say that the top 16/32 players get invited to a big end of year tourney like the Masters Series in Tennis or Race to Dubai in golf. But these are seperate from the concept of rankings)

In snooker for events for which the Top 16 are invited there is usually a cutoff point x months before the event. The Top 16 at that time are the top 16 for the tournament.

Seedings are just a method to seperate the best players into different sides of the draw so that they don't meet til an appointed time.

A basic Top 16 seeding draw would be this.

1v16
    8v9

4v13
    5v12

2v15
    7v10

6v11
    3v14

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Greenbaize

Is it specifically the snooker rankings you are interested in or ranking systems in particular.
    Different sports do it different ways, but in general its a rolling system, it doesn't reset at the start of the year.
    Some sports do a one year system (golf) two years (darts), some a weighted four year average (FIFA football rankings, weighted such that the most recent years count most).
    (The only time there would be a reset would be for a 'race' event, where say that the top 16/32 players get invited to a big end of year tourney like the Masters Series in Tennis or Race to Dubai in golf. But these are seperate from the concept of rankings)

In snooker for events for which the Top 16 are invited there is usually a cutoff point x months before the event. The Top 16 at that time are the top 16 for the tournament.

Seedings are just a method to seperate the best players into different sides of the draw so that they don't meet til an appointed time.

A basic Top 16 seeding draw would be this.

1v16
    8v9

4v13
    5v12

2v15
    7v10

6v11
    3v14

Yes but in snooker if the top 16 qualify for the events, is the top 16 judged from the final top 16 ranked from previous season with them guaranteed qualification for that season or does it go by the provisional rankings for that year. So say you finished 14th the previous year, and now your provisionally ranked 18th going into the next event. Does that mean you will have to qualify for it or since you finished in the top 16 from last season are you considered a top 16 Player for all events of a new season regardless of your provisional ranking until that seasons final ranking event is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Greenbaize wrote: »
    Yes but in snooker if the top 16 qualify for the events, is the top 16 judged from the final top 16 ranked from previous season with them guaranteed qualification for that season or does it go by the provisional rankings for that year.

Neither.
    It goes by cut-off points throughout the year.
    So for example the Top 16 who go to the Masters in January will be decided by who is in the Top 16 at a specific date, probably in Mid November.
    The Top 16 seeded for the Worlds in April will be decided in early February on the rankings at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

ArmaniJeanss has explained the rankings correctly and below us the calendar for the season with the cut of points. The new format is in play for several events this season where all 128 players will play at the qualifying venue meaning a player only has to win one match to reach a ranking venue proper. It's a great structure and will no doubt give those seldom seen players and players who have lost out by way of having to win several matches to reach a venue proper that all important chance of a breakthrough, a perfect example being Ireland's Davy Morris winning through to the final stages in Wuxi and going on to reach the quater finals.

27-29
    Wuxi Classic Qualifiers
    The Capital Venue, Gloucester

30-3 Jun
    Goldfields Australian Open Qualifiers
    The Capital Venue, Gloucester

JUNE

European Tour 1 (amateur pre qualifier)
    Sofia, Bulgaria

7-9
    European Tour 1 (Last 128)
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    WINNER: JOHN HGGINS

ORDER OF MERIT - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR EUROPEAN TOUR 2

11-15
    Asian Tour 1
    Yixing, China
    WINNER: JOE PERRY

17-23
    Wuxi Classic
    Wuxi, China
    WINNER: NEIL ROBERTSON

29 - 6 July
    Asian Indoor Games
    Incheon, Korea

JULY

8-14
    Australian Goldfields Open
    Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

European Tour 2 (amateur pre qualifier)
    Rotterdam

19-21
    European Tour 2 (Last 128)
    Rotterdam

WORLD RANKING - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR SHANGHAI MASTERS AND POTENTIAL RANKING EVENT
    ORDER OF MERIT - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR EUROPEAN TOUR 3 AND 4

25-4 Aug
    World Games
    Cali, Columbia

AUGUST

7-10
    Shanghai Masters Qualifiers
    Doncaster Dome tbc

11-12
    Potential Ranking Event Qualifiers tbc
    Doncaster Dome tbc

European Tour 3 (amateur pre qualifier)
    Doncaster Dome tbc

15-17
    European Tour 3 (Last 128)
    Doncaster Dome tbc

European Tour 4/Paul Hunter Classic (amateur pre qualifier)
    Furth, Germany

23-25
    European Tour 4/Paul Hunter Classic (L128)
    Furth, Germany

ORDER OF MERIT - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR EUROPEAN TOUR 5

SEPTEMBER

2-7
    6 Reds World Championship
    Bangkok, Thailand

16-22
    Shanghai Masters
    Shanghai, China

WORLD RANKING - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

23-27
    Asian Tour 2
    Zhangjiagong, China

30-1 Oct
    International Championship qualifiers
    Barnsley Metrodome tbc

OCTOBER

European Tour 5 (amateur pre qualifier)
    Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany

4-6
    European Tour 5 (Last 128)
    Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany

ORDER OF MERIT - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR EUROPEAN TOUR 6 AND 7

5-6
    Power Snooker tbc
    tbc

13-19
    Potential Ranking Event tbc
    tbc

19-20
    Seniors World Championship
    tbc

19-23
    Asian Tour 3
    tbc

27-3 Nov
    International Championship
    Chengdu, China

WORLD RANKING - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR UK CHAMPIONSHIP

NOVEMBER

European Tour 6 or 8 (amateur pre qualifier) - Option 1*
    UK or Europe tbc

8-10
    European Tour 6 or 8 (Last 128) - Option 1*
    UK or Europe tbc

European Tour 7 (amateur pre qualifier)
    Antwerp, Belgium

15-17
    European Tour 7 (Last 128)
    Antwerp, Belgium

ORDER OF MERIT - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR EUROPEAN TOUR 8 (subject to event dates)

19-24
    Champion of Champions
    Ricoh Arena, Coventry

27 Nov-8 Dec
    williamhill.com UK Championship
    York Barbican, York

WORLD RANKING - SEEDING CUT OFF FOR HAIKOU WORLD OPEN, GERMAN MASTERS, THE MASTERS AND SHOOT OUT

DECEMBER

10-11
    German Masters Qualifiers
    Barnsley Metrodome tbc

12-13
    Haikou World Open Qualifiers
    Barnsley Metrodome tbc

European Tour 8 (amateur pre qualifier)- Option 2*
    UK tbc

15-17
    European Tour 8 (Last 128) - Option 2*
    UK tbc