Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Wimbledon moment?

Options
  • 06-07-2013 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭

In the spirit of the week...

What's your most memorable Wimbledon moment/match/point/win?

For me, hands down, it's Goran Ivanisevic's 2001 final against Pat Rafter and the epic win that followed.

Everything about it was magic - the timing of it, the football-like atmosphere, the chemistry between the players, the aces and double faults at the most crucial moments, the tension, and all the many odds that were stacked against Ivanisevic - injuries, rumours of retirement, crappy ranking, previous Wimbledon losses. I don't think I've even gotten so emotionally involved in a sports match, even young as I was at 16.

I think I held my breath for that entire fifth set, it was just excruciating, emotional, engaging, overwhelming television. I remember that moment were he aced his way into a Championship point and then double-faulted on it so vividly, I had a visceral reaction at the time, nearly got up and left the room!

Here it is in all its glory (a little long but worth the watch)

What's your favourite Wimbledon memory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,742 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You know, I have thought long and hard, and that moment for me is also the best. I have never wanted someone to win as much. The whole history of Goran and Wimbledon, to be such an outsider in 2001 and to go on to lift the trophy. Fairy tale stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fav moment????

whenever Gabriella Sabatini walked on court mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I watched that Ivanisevic clip only the other day. He was one of my favourite players down the years. I wasn't a fan of big booming servers, but his serve was so good it was ridiculous. He was an unseeded wild card that year, I was so happy when he won it, he'd lost 3 finals before and I thought his chance had gone. Kind of like if Jimmy White had've finally won the snooker World Championship.
    He stepped off the plane back to Croatia afterwards wearing a Croatia football shirt to a heroes welcome. A total legend, that fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,742 ✭✭✭✭walshb

fryup wrote: »
    fav moment????

whenever Gabriella Sabatini walked on court mmmmmmmmmm

The man? Sure, vs. the likes of Navrat/Wade/Manlikova she didn't look too bad, but far from tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Had Rafter won that final then I think that would have been my favourite Wimbledon moment.
    Yet this always does it for me. :o
    Forward to 5:40

You'd miss the Duchess..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Being 12 at the time The Nadal vs Federer match and Celebration after by Nadal is one that sticks out for me since Nadal is my favourite player from this era :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Being 12 at the time The Nadal vs Federer match and Celebration after by Nadal is one that sticks out for me since Nadal is my favourite player from this era :)
    2008 final is mine fav too!

I used to love Lendl when he played - would have loved to see him win.

Advertisement