Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Enough Servo??

Options
  • 06-07-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Used to be big into RC Boats/Planes but I have something kinda non model related.

Im in the middle of making a dolly/rail system for photography, something like this http://www.carbon-xl.com/images/Camera_dolly_powered_time_lapse_motorized_servo_control_controller_carbon_fiber_tube_lg.jpg

Basically you sit the camera on a dolly that's pulled along a rail while you ether film or take multiple of shots.

So heres my question. Is there a continuous servo that can be hooked directly up to a battery pack that will work at very low speeds for approx 30mins? It will be under very little resistance due to the wheels on the rail. Could you buy this in The Model Shop on Capel St?

Bit of a mad one I know!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

I dont think a servo will do the job. But you could use a 1 rpm motor with a 10mm cog onto a 75mm cog and the motor ran through a speed controller. Quarter the speed of the motor that should give you 30 min. All you want is to run the dolly along the rail at slow speed for 30 min dose that help you. I think i am right with my calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You need a low rpm motor with a heavily reduced gearbox.

Or a winch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A servo will indeed do that job. Convert to continuous rotation which is not too difficult, or get one already set as continuous rotation, and then direction and speed is easily controlled via a radio and receiver, or a servo tester, or as I have done a few times, a micro controller programmed to mimic the radio receivers 1 millisecond to 2 millisecond pulse width.

But continuous rotation servo of adequate strength, and a servo tester to control it , or a cheap radio would work.

Powerful servos are not cheap though. I used high power ones with a gearbox which I ordered from the US a couple of times.

These were the type I used, which I converted to continuous rotation myself, but they sell them converted.

A winch might be cheaper though, servos were required for my applications though.

Advertisement