Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Shelbourne Auction Protest Justified

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It seemed a bit pointless to me. Also just because a property is being auctioned doesn't mean that the property has been repossessed - the likes of Jerry doesn't seem to understand that.

It has been suggested that some abuse was directed towards the employees too, which is just plain thuggery if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Irrespective of the calibre of the demonstrator I think auctions and auctioneers are a justifiable target for protest, a myriad of players contributed to the current economic problems not least property auctions and auctioneers, and each and every one should have it made known that we are not happy about the part they had to play!

The bhoyo's here seem to have hit a decent target by pure luck, maybe others with less dubious backrounds should look at this type of demonstration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Irrespective of the calibre of the demonstrator I think auctions and auctioneers are a justifiable target for protest, a myriad of players contributed to the current economic problems not least property auctions and auctioneers, and each and every one should have it made known that we are not happy about the part they had to play!

The bhoyo's here seem to have hit a decent target by pure luck, maybe others with less dubious backrounds should look at this type of demonstration.

But should you not make it known that you are not happy with the part that people like Beades played in destroying our economy ? Is that not what people should be doing?

The fact that these protests are being hijacked by people with dubious agendas is noteworthy.

I would like for guilty Bankers / Politicians to be Jailed , but sheep type people following people like Beades around the streets of Dublin looking for a target is disturbing.

raymon wrote: »

I would like for guilty Bankers / Politicians to be Jailed , but sheep type people following people like Beades around the streets of Dublin looking for a target is disturbing.

What about the Media that pushed the agenda for advertising money? The auctioneers that played the ordinary citizen against each other?

ignoring their part in this travesty because there are bigger fish is stupid,

as for beades, and the sheep, fools they may be but at least they get of their arses and say what they think instead of sitting around taking it up the ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Protest is fine. Actually disrupting and preventing the event from going ahead is dubious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

No, the anti English abuse was stupid and uncalled for.

The postponement of the auction will mean that some people, trying to get their properties shifted to help clear mortgages, won't.

It also meant how much was lost in stamp duty?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

raymon wrote: »
    Was it justified for the property auction to be halted?

What do they hope to achieve?

I noted Jerry "Galway Tent" Beades from Fianna Fails was the main agitator which makes me suspicious .

http://www.thejournal.ie/auction-shelbourne-halted-978258-Jul2013/
    He must have the fianna fail amnesia aswell!

nesf wrote: »
    Protest is fine. Actually disrupting and preventing the event from going ahead is dubious.

Ah now, this is the reason why Irish protests don't work, the protest is ignored because there is nothing to fear from it, the players sit back and smile as the poor sods they are willing to ride,

Your not alone in this attitude,

I will admit that the anti british shit is embarrassing, but that's why I said these protest should be taken back from the looneys and more pro active demonstrations against the likes of auctioneers and media for example should happen.
    The banks and government will get more involved if their buddies are being annoyed by the citizen

No, the anti English abuse was stupid and uncalled for.

The postponement of the auction will mean that some people, trying to get their properties shifted to help clear mortgages, won't.

It also meant how much was lost in stamp duty?

LOL, I am so happy you posted this.

LOL, I am so happy you posted this.

Ok, point out where I an incorrect, and I may revise my position.

• Advertisement

Ok, point out where I an incorrect, and I may revise my position.

Apart from pointing out the anti english crap your post is so filled with laughable supposition that I couldn't help laughing,

You think that normal Joes will suffer because they couldn't sell their house at a bottom of the barrel vulture auction and to make matters worse the gubberment will loose on the stamp duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Event seem to be hijacked by a couple of individuals who owe a lot of mollah to banks and wanted to further their own agenda.

Apart from pointing out the anti english crap your post is so filled with laughable supposition that I couldn't help laughing,

You think that normal Joes will suffer because they couldn't sell their house at a bottom of the barrel vulture auction and to make matters worse the gubberment will loose on the stamp duty?

If the normal Joes sell their otherwise unsellable house at an auction to whoever buys it, then aren't they better off than continuing to throw money they can't afford to spend at a mortgage they can't afford to keep?

Are people not liable for stamp duty, if bought at an auction?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Event seem to be hijacked by a couple of individuals who owe a lot of mollah to banks and wanted to further their own agenda.

Read my posts, those gob****s (for want of a better word) that staged the protest got lucky in providing a roadmap for future protests by normal citizens against the cartel that put us in this state.

Banks, upper level civil servants, media, auctioneers, solicitors and all the other bloodsuckers need to be advised that the actions of the past pissed people off,

Good protests get results not laughs from the vampires

If the normal Joes sell their otherwise unsellable house at an auction to whoever buys it, then aren't they better off than continuing to throw money they can't afford to spend at a mortgage they can't afford to keep?

Are people not liable for stamp duty, if bought at an auction?

Can you find me a single person who is in financial difficulty this weekend as a result of this protest?

Good protests get results not laughs from the vampires

But this wasn't a good protest.

But this wasn't a good protest.

It would have been if a community group without dubious background had of carried it out,

I am very serious when I say that this type of thing needs to be escalated but how does that happen with normal Joes not willing to voice their complaints, its up to the nuts.

Time for the citizens to start proactively targeting the cartel

Can you find me a single person who is in financial difficulty this weekend as a result of this protest?

Well maybe if buddy boy sold off some of the properties that he is in debt to the tune of €3.2m , he mightn't have a reason to be so vocal. He's shirking his responsibilities, and is/was part if the problem.

Any one of the 121 properties not selling yesterday may not get another chance to be sold. The buyers yesterday would possibly have paid a higher price yesterday than they will in how many weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ah now, this is the reason why Irish protests don't work, the protest is ignored because there is nothing to fear from it, the players sit back and smile as the poor sods they are willing to ride,

Actually large Irish protests seem to be quite effective. Small groups of people who represent very few in the community tend to be ignored yes, but well, they should be really.

This wasn't a large popular protest disrupting matters but a small group of people who represent next to no one. Thus why it's dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

nesf wrote: »
    Actually large Irish protests seem to be quite effective. Small groups of people who represent very few in the community tend to be ignored yes, but well, they should be really.

This wasn't a large popular protest disrupting matters but a small group of people who represent next to no one. Thus why it's dubious.

It can also be pointed out that there was quite a healthy attendance at the Auction,who appeared to be quite "Normal Looking" and from hearing them talking after the "event" sounded even more Normal...No horns on their heads,stovepipe hats or side-arms at the ready.

Why then were the rights of this majority,on-the-day,to partake in a legal Auction process allowed to be forcibly denied ?

Some of the attendees had come up from the country to bid on property in good faith,yet were prevented by the antics of Mr Beades and his fellow travellers,who I felt,were a somewhat scattergun in their protest.

If it were me,I'd put it right up to Gerry Beades and reschedule the next auction to a (Galway-Like) tent erected outside his gaff.....;)

Betcha he'd have no problem gettin in either....:p

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Yes, normal Joes will suffer. A relative of mine had some properties in that auction. He had done a deal with the bank that they would take the proceeds from the auction and write off the rest of his debt. That would have taken him out from under the shadow of bankruptcy, now all this pathetic protest means is that the bank may reconsider and he may well have to go through more battles with them. There were plenty of ordinary joes who invested in a few properties who got caught out by the recession and have been hounded incessantly by the banks since.

Your posts on this thread show a stunning amount of ignorance towards what was being auctioned on that day and on behalf of whom it was being done. The protest was just pointless rabble-rousing.

Advertisement