Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thousand stoves but which one?

Options
  • 05-07-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi All
    I am looking for a 5-7kw free standing stove. problem is there is such a variety of stoves I don't know which one to pick, Is there a web site that reviews stoves? My head is wrecked from reading about them online and every one has a different view point. even the sales men I don't trust anymore, Allot of them don't know what they are talking about when it comes to specs etc. I'm looking for efficiency, log size etc .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

From my experience using websites to look at stoves is a nightmare.

You are better off going into town and checking out retailers. They are excellent when asking for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

I agree that you should go to a bunch of retailers to identify the ones you like and within budget and go from there.

I've PM'd you my own experience with our 2 stoves. Further certified data on efficiency here: http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_Assessors/Technical/HARP_Database/Solid_Fuel_Room_Heaters/

and here: http://www.hetas.co.uk/find-appliance/

Don't accept claimed efficiency unless its on a list such as the above or clearly based on certified test data.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭leanbh

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

leanbh wrote: »
    Am a bit confused about output. Seai according to their own site say stanley as having heat output of 8.5kw while the info from stanley own site says its 12kw. It's a room only heater so why the difference?

The information on the seai site comes from the manufacturer....so check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

MOTM wrote: »
    The information on the seai site comes from the manufacturer....so check with them.
    I spent yesterday driving around to a couple different stove shops. My room calculates at 5.5kw but I'm told by them a 5kw stove is plenty. So with that in mind a stovax 5 or town and Country dalby or charnwood are my options. I am leaning toward these because they are fully manufactured in the uk. I don't want any Chinese built stuff and uk are long time stove manufacturers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

strandsman wrote: »
    I spent yesterday driving around to a couple different stove shops. My room calculates at 5.5kw but I'm told by them a 5kw stove is plenty. So with that in mind a stovax 5 or town and Country dalby or charnwood are my options. I am leaning toward these because they are fully manufactured in the uk. I don't want any Chinese built stuff and uk are long time stove manufacturers

Personnally I would go over and above what your room calcuates at. If I had a room that calculated at 5.5, I'd be aiming to get a stove that gave a 6 to 7kw output.

Its easy to turn a stove down by regulating the air intake. If you have a 5.5kw room and a stove that is not powerful enough to heat it, then you will be kicking yourself.

Don't take everything that these sales people say as gospel. At the end of the day, they are just trying to make a sale.

Its said that stoves should be burning at max most of the time to keep the flue clean. If a stove is only ticking over then a build up of gunk can occur and the heat liw heat can't burn it off.
    sasol wrote: »
    Personnally I would go over and above what your room calcuates at. If I had a room that calculated at 5.5, I'd be aiming to get a stove that gave a 6 to 7kw output.

Its easy to turn a stove down by regulating the air intake. If you have a 5.5kw room and a stove that is not powerful enough to heat it, then you will be kicking yourself.

Don't take everything that these sales people say as gospel. At the end of the day, they are just trying to make a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

Its said that stoves should be burning at max most of the time to keep the flue clean. If a stove is only ticking over then a build up of gunk can occur and the heat liw heat can't burn it off.

Perhaps so.

I know if I had my stove burning at max most of the time, I'd go through a serious amount of fuel.

I usually have it going at max for about an hour and then turn it down so that it is ticking over while giving out plenty of heat at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

Hey Guys,
    I am strongly thinking about getting a Charnwood Country 6 but ordering it online from the UK, even with shipping costs etc it's significantly cheaper than getting it in Ireland. What are your thoughts/experiences in buying from the UK? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Try the north, that's where i got mine it's a woodwarm insert it was 300 e cheaper than anywhere down south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Try the north, that's where i got mine it's a woodwarm insert it was 300 e cheaper than anywhere down south.

bod71 wrote: »
    Thanks Bod!

I got a stovax 5kw. Great heat from it. Well pleased.

Hi All
    I am looking for a 5-7kw free standing stove. problem is there is such a variety of stoves I don't know which one to pick, Is there a web site that reviews stoves? My head is wrecked from reading about them online and every one has a different view point. even the sales men I don't trust anymore, Allot of them don't know what they are talking about when it comes to specs etc. I'm looking for efficiency, log size etc .

cali_eire wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    I am strongly thinking about getting a Charnwood Country 6 but ordering it online from the UK, even with shipping costs etc it's significantly cheaper than getting it in Ireland. What are your thoughts/experiences in buying from the UK? Thanks!

Quick update: I ended up ordering my stove from a Irish retailer after all. The manufacturer (Charnwood) told me that any warranty issues would have to be dealt with through the original retailer so that made me decide to go Irish. I ended up getting a decent price after all also.

Advertisement