Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mapping Locations

Options
  • 05-07-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice or pros/cons for different ways to solve the issue below.

I have a map for example I'm using Google maps, I need to create a mash of locations on the map.

Now I figure the best way to put the locations on the map would be coords which is what I'm going for, the problem is how and what is the easiest way to collect these coords.

Suggestion 1:
    I was thinking of a small application where you can click four points on the map and it stored those four coords against an entry in the database, all find and good unless there is a building or tree or something else obscuring the location you want to map.

Suggestion 2:
    On the ground, physically go to each location and take the four coords and then download them when back at the pc into the database.

Suggestion 3:
    On the ground, physically go to the location and take ONE coord and then download it back at the pc into the database giving a radius of a couple of metres.

I know 1 & 2 are more precise then 3 and that 2 & 3 are more time consuming.

Just wondering is anyone has any ideas I haven't thought of?

By the way it's for mapping locations of nesting animals if that helps in anyway. Currently using PHP but can integrate the mapping function into java or C#.NET if needs be. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

You can use Google Earth to set the location and get the coordinates then you can export the points to kml if you want or just extract the coordinates

Advertisement