Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckett's attempt to quit the fags.

• 05-07-2013 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Alright lads,

Lomg time lurker, first time poster. Just turned 28 last month and have decided it's time to give them the boot. Am currently in South Korea and it's a very smoke friendly envoirment. Bars, restaurants , clubs all allow smoking and they only cost about 1 euro 30 cents a pack. You can even buy fags at the dry cleaners and most men here smoke. I will have very little support (medical and family wise) to help me through this but I really feel it's time to quit. I have smoked about 25 a day for 10years. I have one last thing at night and one first thing in the morning,sometimes still in bed. This will be my first real attempt to quit, It's 4pm Friday here and I plan to quit tonight. Hopefully this thread can motivate me to quit. Good luck to anyone else on the same journey ! Any tips for people quitting but who don't have access to nicorette etc? I heard water and green tea can be quite good. I hope I can get some support on here and will post honest updates.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

beckett85 wrote: »
    Alright lads,

Lomg time lurker, first time poster. Just turned 28 last month and have decided it's time to give them the boot. Am currently in South Korea and it's a very smoke friendly envoirment. Bars, restaurants , clubs all allow smoking and they only cost about 1 euro 30 cents a pack. You can even buy fags at the dry cleaners and most men here smoke. I will have very little support (medical and family wise) to help me through this but I really feel it's time to quit. I have smoked about 25 a day for 10years. I have one last thing at night and one first thing in the morning,sometimes still in bed. This will be my first real attempt to quit, It's 4pm Friday here and I plan to quit tonight. Hopefully this thread can motivate me to quit. Good luck to anyone else on the same journey ! Any tips for people quitting but who don't have access to nicorette etc? I heard water and green tea can be quite good. I hope I can get some support on here and will post honest updates.

Im off them nearly 4 weeks at this stage. First time using something else to help get off them (was of for 6 months previously). Used nicotine gum for the first couple of days so i was breaking the habit without the nicotine withdrawl. Using e-cigs sporadically in the evenings now, dont miss them as muxh during the day when working.

Best of luck with it, stick with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

You could try some puzzles like sudoku ect to distract your mind while you have a craving, they usually pass after a few mins but I had found it good to just distract myself when I got a craving, you should also look up one of the timelines that shows how your body is improving from not smoking!! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 beckett85

Cheers guys! I just finished work, I'm smoking like a trooper now and going out for a few beers later haha! The battle will start tomorrow morning. Plan is to smoke so much tonight I won't be able to look at them tomorrow(Although this has failed in the past)!
    You could try some puzzles like sudoku ect to distract your mind while you have a craving, they usually pass after a few mins but I had found it good to just distract myself when I got a craving, you should also look up one of the timelines that shows how your body is improving from not smoking!! Best of luck smile.png

Cheers butterfly, but sudokus,crosswords etc stress /frustrate me and usually need a smoke then! My tactic will be to just try and sleep my way through it or do apartment chores and lots of green tea.

[QUOTEIm off them nearly 4 weeks at this stage. First time using something else to help get off them (was of for 6 months previously). Used nicotine gum for the first couple of days so i was breaking the habit without the nicotine withdrawl. Using e-cigs sporadically in the evenings now, dont miss them as muxh during the day when working.Best of luck with it, stick with it![/QUOTE]

Thanks Lu and well done ! 4 weeks seems like such a long way away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Also just another quick suggestion you could try the Allen Carr book it's got really interesting points about the link with smoking and advertising, just reminded me when u said if you did puzzles you would need to smoke!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

"Cheers butterfly, but sudokus,crosswords etc stress /frustrate me and usually need a smoke then! My tactic will be to just try and sleep my way through it or do apartment chores and lots of green tea. "

Hi there

actually in Alan Carr - he states that when we need to concentrate, relax, are bored or stressed - we need a fag - thats part of the trap - its worth reading his book - I read 'Easy way to quit smoking' and lasted about 12 hours cold turkey before i was climbing the walls - gave in - tried again about 2 weeks later - with patches and reread the book am off them 21 days today - still get cravings though - best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

You could try some puzzles like sudoku ect to distract your mind while you have a craving, they usually pass after a few mins but I had found it good to just distract myself when I got a craving, you should also look up one of the timelines that shows how your body is improving from not smoking!! Best of luck :)

Is an app called cessation nation that has all of this once you enter your quit date. Are a few out there but I liked the layout on this one. Anyway good luck Beckett, is a tough road ahead but will be right as rain in about a month

• Registered Users Posts: 20 beckett85

Sorry lads been slacking on this, had a bit of a mad weekend. Needless to say I was smoking like a trooper. It's Tuesday 4pm now and I hav'nt had a smoke since last night, feeling ok. Bit of a migrane coming on I think. Have to go to the shop later to grab some things for dinner, I hope I can make it past the counter without etting some smokes.

Advertisement