Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD unmounting from PC after a couple of seconds of connection

Options
  • 05-07-2013 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Having a problem with a Seagate 500GB 2.5" HDD. I'm using an external docking station to connect it to my PC.

It'll be detected by the computer, mount, will show in Disk Management, in the "Safely Remove Hardware" section, and appear in 3rd party software I had planned to use to retrieve data from the drive, but then it unmounts itself after a couple of seconds. When I took the top off the HDD, and connected it up, the time it see's the drive and then unmounts coincides with the platters spinning and the arm going up and down, and then stopping.

Anyone have any idea what I could try to get the drive to be seen by the PC, so that I could attempt to grab data off it.

Have also tried the "freezer trick" already, but no no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, just noticed what looks like a scratch 3mm from the edge going from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Possible scratch from when the drive got a bang/fall? My friend who I got it off just said that it just didn't work one day. Not a paying job, so he's no reason to lie about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey all,

Having a problem with a Seagate 500GB 2.5" HDD.

Not really electronics q - but I have seen this issue when the usb is not able to deliver enough current - especially to the faster 2.5 drives - fix is trying on another pc with a better usb or a powered usb hub might make it work... or better yet plugging drive into a SATA port on a desktop without the enclosure.

Not sure I read the other part right - but if you really did dismantle the actual drive rather than the just usb external housing - :O - then the drives prob finished - tiniest spec of dust or fingerprint on the platters and the drives likely ruined.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If the external dock isn't mains-powered, using a powered hub (or better yet, mounting internally in a desktop) is the first thing to do.

That said, if you've disassembled the drive chassis and exposed the platters there's a good chance it won't be usable/salvageable full stop. Professional data recovery firms charge so much partly because dissassembly should only be done in lab cleanroom conditions.

Advertisement