Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Kildare/Dublin to Galway, how??

Options
  • 04-07-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys!
    I'm thinking of cycling from either Dublin or Monastrevin, to Galway.
    The reason I'm saying Monastrevin is that I've heard the canal path at Maynooth is destroyed. So I was going to take a train to Monastrevin and continue down the canal (again, based on hearsay). Is this the best way to do it?

Any advice? I'm hoping to complete the cycle in one day. I'm fairly fit.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

The canal in Monasterevin is part of the Barrow line so you'd have to back track from there to Lowtown, near Robertstown to head for the Shannon.

To the best of my knowledge the tow path heading west isn't really suitable for a long trip like you are planning, you'd want an MTB and progress would be slow.

If I were you I'd consider this route from Monasterevin, mostly reasonably quiet roads and decent enough surfaces passing through some lovely countryside. Two lads from our club did this route a few weeks ago and very much enjoyed it.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2807201

Advertisement