Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop still broken

Options
  • 04-07-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi lads
    I've been having trouble with my laptop after the hard-drive broke.I sent it back to the store I bought it from to get them to fix it as it is still under warranty they gave it back to me twice broken no change.
    I cant get it to boot from external hard drive or install windows 7 on it and I'm sick with dealing with thise gob****es in the shop they told the os was corrupted along with all of my data and that I have to install it but I get the same screen every time I boot the thing up at this stage i'm ready to buy a fookin' new because I just cant hack the hassle from it any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHunfH0XbI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Menelaun wrote: »
    Hi lads
    I've been having trouble with my laptop after the hard-drive broke.I sent it back to the store I bought it from to get them to fix it as it is still under warranty they gave it back to me twice broken no change.
    I cant get it to boot from external hard drive or install windows 7 on it and I'm sick with dealing with thise gob****es in the shop they told the os was corrupted along with all of my data and that I have to install it but I get the same screen every time I boot the thing up at this stage i'm ready to buy a fookin' new because I just cant hack the hassle from it any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHunfH0XbI
    Did they replace the internal hard drive? What message are you getting on screen? What device are you trying to install Windows 7 from, a DVD, a USB. You can't boot into an O/S from an external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

200motels wrote: »
    Did they replace the internal hard drive? What message are you getting on screen? What device are you trying to install Windows 7 from, a DVD, a USB. You can't boot into an O/S from an external hard drive.

Sorry what I mean there was I cant restore a system image and I get the message An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data. Status: 0xc0000001 and I am using a dvd to install windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

200motels wrote: »
    You can't boot into an O/S from an external hard drive.
    Why not? If the OS is installed on the external hdd along with it's MBR, then all that's needed is to tell the bios where to look first, surely. There is usually an option to boot from an external hdd. Maybe I'm wrong, but it can certainly be done with a linux OS, perhaps Windows is incapable, but I wouldn't have thought so.

excollier wrote: »
    Why not? If the OS is installed on the external hdd along with it's MBR, then all that's needed is to tell the bios where to look first, surely. There is usually an option to boot from an external hdd. Maybe I'm wrong, but it can certainly be done with a linux OS, perhaps Windows is incapable, but I wouldn't have thought so.
    I stand corrected, coming from old school of thought I didn't think you could, but I did a bit of research on it and apparently on newish machines you can boot directly from an external hard drive to run an O/S.

Menelaun wrote: »
    Sorry what I mean there was I cant restore a system image and I get the message An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data. Status: 0xc0000001 and I am using a dvd to install windows
    Try looking at these.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/31330-installation-error-0xc0000001.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do they have a walk-in store that you can bring the laptop into them, and show that you cannot install Windows onto said laptop? Be nice and calm, and when it doesn't work, demand to speak to a manager.

Don't raise your voice, or go on a hissy-pissy fit, as you'll get further with honey than vinegar...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimboy2011

So they replaced hard drive and didnt install an os?

jimboy2011 wrote: »
    So they replaced hard drive and didnt install an os?

Yep after they said it would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

TRY installing linux mint 7 on it, fits on 1 cdr ,690 meg .
    Make a 6 gig partition for it.
    just to test the laptop.
    it has music player, firefox browser built in.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=38
    it uses menus, like windows.
    You don,t need to be a linux expert to use it.
    go to software menu,download,install chrome browser.
    have you a win7 install dvd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Or any of the newer Linux Mint distros, 13 has support until 2017 and is what I first installed to escape Windows, very easy to use coming from Windows as a new Linux user. And no charge for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can run it from cd ,as a livecd before you install it,
    see youtube mint os linux.

I went into the store and told them that it was unacceptable that the laptop is still broken and asked for it to be fixed and they are sending it off to HP on monday then I have to wait 7 working days for it to get back

Thanks for all the replies hopefully this time it will work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Sending it back to HP for windows?

Jesus seems an awful step for something so easy.
    "the store" you're on about sound like a right bunch of cowboys, ted.

Advertisement