Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAW Codecs for Windows

Options
  • 04-07-2013 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I recently got a Canon 700d but had a 450d before hand. I installed the Windows Camera pack that allowed me to view RAW files through my computer easily. Now with the 700d I can't view them anymore. I have updated the codec pack and the RAW files are still .CR2 format.

I can open them with the Canon utility but it's time consuming when browsing shots and exporting them to .JPG takes a bit of time too.

Did anyone else have the same problem and resolve it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Microsoft released a new codec recently - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

This is only good to view the embedded jpg.

But, to convert you need something else. Plenty of applications out there to convert from raw to jpg, such as Adobe Lightroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

It was about a week ago that I updated the codec pack to the same version you posted with no joy. I'm not looking to convert, just to simply view them easily through my computer without having to use another program.

Thanks for getting back.

Ah, sorry. Just read the spec and it doesn't seem to cover the 700d. They only seem to release an update once every few years. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭leche solara

Did you get Digital Photo Professional with the camera? It usually comes with Canon SLRs. You can view RAW files through it without converting to JPG. It can also be used to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are a few free RAW editors and viewers out there. I remember downloading one in an emergency.

I've never had to use a thumbnail RAW for windows explorer. I use photoshop which has a raw editor built in and Bridge for viewing the raw files.

• Advertisement

Did you get Digital Photo Professional with the camera? It usually comes with Canon SLRs. You can view RAW files through it without converting to JPG. It can also be used to convert.

As I was saying that I installed that, it's a bit time consuming going through the photos and converting them. I'm just looking to be able to view the photos through my computer. Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Canon Zoom Browser - comes with your software.

Canon Zoom Browser - comes with your software.

Cheers pullandbang but as I was saying that I already open them up with that. It looks like that's the method from now on. The other thing is that photoshop won't even open the files so each of the files has to be exported to .jpg from the canon zoom browser first before I can photoshop them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

kevc2 wrote: »
    The other thing is that photoshop won't even open the files so each of the files has to be exported to .jpg from the canon zoom browser first before I can photoshop them.

That doesn't sound right. PS will happily process RAW files (and preview them) without having to export them as jpegs. You trying to say that Photoshop will only process your jpegs?

What I'm saying with photoshop is that it opened the RAW files from my 450d no problem but not from my 700d, it probably needs to be updated.

• Advertisement

The 700D is too new. You would need to be using Photoshop 6 or Photoshop CC with the very latest Adobe Camera Raw.

In fact, from looking at the Adobe site, the 700D isn't yet supported in Camera Raw - http://www.adobe.com/ie/products/photoshop/extend.html

You will have to wait for the next release.

Until then, you will need to use the Canon products.

Perfect Paulw, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For about €20 , you can get http://www.ardfry.com/cr2-codec/ - allows you to view them as "large icons" or with preview with Windows Photo Viewer. Use it to view CR2 images shot with my 450D. To ensure it works for you, there's a 15 days trial, as I don't think it's been updated for a bit.

An example of it in use is below. It also shows some of the basic exif data info.

CR2_Codec_zpsc07ffc82.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Try Fastsone image viewer for windows. It's free, you can download from http://www.faststone.org/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Can't you just export DNG then just work with that format. Pretty sure Canon's software let's you export DNG, hopefully in a batch.

Then you need a DNG codec, which should be easy.

the_syco wrote: »
    For about €20 , you can get http://www.ardfry.com/cr2-codec/ - allows you to view them as "large icons" or with preview with Windows Photo Viewer. Use it to view CR2 images shot with my 450D. To ensure it works for you, there's a 15 days trial, as I don't think it's been updated for a bit.

Thanks a lot for that, this solved the problem, works perfectly! Definitely will speed up looking through the photos before photoshopping them.

Advertisement