Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Company - can they refuse disabled drivers ?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

My G/F has a modified car ( Hand controls )

She's been driving a year and her insurance is up for renewal.
    She' will be 31 - and has a full Irish drivers license

Her renewal quote is nearly 1000 euro.

On sites like 123.ie and nononsense the minute you put modified car in they won't give a quote.. and when I remove it and get a quote I get one.

All the info is the same.

Do you have to disclose if you have a disability ?

She can get a fully comp quote from Non Nonsense for 615. If she bought it can they refuse if if she rings them afterwards and says she has hand controls ?

any advice would be great.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

NeVeR wrote: »

On sites like 123.ie and nononsense the minute you put modified car in they won't give a quote.. and when I remove it and get a quote I get one.

She can get a fully comp quote from Non Nonsense for 615. If she bought it can they refuse if if she rings them afterwards and says she has hand controls ?

thanks.

Yes you are required to give full disclosure of all pertinent facts. If you don't then your insurance is invalidated.

Yes any insurance company can quote what they wish thus ensuring they do not get the business, or get it at an exorbitant profit.

You need to get the type of information you posted in writing, from at least (I think ... memory not great) five different insurers, and then take the info to an ombudsman to see if anything can be done.

There should be info from the Citizens Advice Bureau on this .... have you checked out their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

NeVeR wrote: »

thanks.

To be honest you would be better calling the company or popping in and speaking to someone rather then using the websites...

I'm driving 5 years and have a full licence 3 years... My insurance has gone down every year, bar this year cause of the new law. They will need letters signed by doctors and proof of adaption or modifications, like a receipt from the company that did the change. If you don't disclose your disability, you have no chance of getting a successful claim, as the above poster said the insurance is invalidated.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

When referring to the adaptation of the vehicle, do NOT let them call it something like 'conversion' or 'modification' ....... that is most often a different category for things like putting in different engines or converting it for other purposes.

An adaptation like hand controls does not alter the manufacturers specification of the vehicle.

A conversion would do so, and gets quite a hefty loading on the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

You could try a broker as well. They deal with a load of insurance companies to try to get you the best deal. And yes I agree phone them tether than going to websites.
    I'm disabled and the car is automatic but not modified and I was told by a guy in 123.ie that as long as the licencsing authority certify you as being able to drive they have no loading.i would have thought it would be the same for modified cars.

Advertisement