Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio and TV presenters gagged from giving their own opinions from 1st July 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Worztron wrote: »
    Fascistic rule if ever there was one....
    Long overdue.

It might put some manners on Joe Duffy and Derek Mooney (among others - they are not the only offenders, but I find their interventions particularly irritating).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If I could use an appropriate metaphor (with regard to Joe Duffy)..

cover.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's Marc Coleman on the dole then...

thank God! that will finally shut up the insufferable Ray Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Seriously? You really think that most news/current affairs/talk show broadcasters worth their salt are going to pay any heed to this ridiculous, nonsensical and in all likelihood un-constitutional* rule?

It's a load of crap and I look forward to someone putting it to the test.

*:See article 40.6.1(i) for example, where the State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Couldn't agree more Bard.

Honestly people, if you legitimately think that this is a good thing because it'll shut up a presenter you don't like, you'd seriously want to take a look at yourself.

I may disagree with virtually everything Ray D'Arcy and Joe Duffy say, but it'll be a sad, sad day when they aren't allowed express their views freely.

Total nonsense.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more Bard.

Honestly people, if you legitimately think that this is a good thing because it'll shut up a presenter you don't like, you'd seriously want to take a look at yourself.

I may disagree with virtually everything Ray D'Arcy and Joe Duffy say, but it'll be a sad, sad day when they aren't allowed express their views freely.

but in fairness the likes of Matt Cooper can conduct an excellent programme while remaining impartial, i dont think its altogether a bad thing that they wont be imposing their personal opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

MYOB wrote: »
    That's Marc Coleman on the dole then...

MYOB, you beat me to it!

Poor old Marc will be in therapy in jig-time.

Straitjacket beckons...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I don't really see a problem with this. It's not that they cannot express an opinion, but rather that they cannot show clear bias or promote their own agenda (or product). How many times has Joe Duffy made an unqualified and uneducated remark on certain folks? How many times have many others shown clear bias or lack of impartiality?
    It's important, I think, that folks should remain impartial rather than taking one side of the argument. If someone has ever listened to the Joe Duffy show about the Rubberbandits (and whether one likes RB or not an issue here, but rather the content of the show) will show that he clearly had a bias on the issue, and had a certain degree of contempt towards the RubberBandits.
    It's not the first time he did so, and I doubt it will be the last.

So the new regulations, in my eyes at least, will be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

The article only refers to news broadcasters, so perhaps personalities like Ray D'Arcy or Derek Mooney can be excluded.In any case, it says that the BAI admits it is a "desirable objective" as it doesn't have the power to make it law.

I think Derek Mooney has given some opinions on his show recently that I thought were controversial, although people shouldn't be censured as long as it's made clear that they're stating their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Yeah, some of the news folks can often take a side, or try and influence the debate when they feel like it. It's usually ham fisted.

I think many wanted these regulations to come in for years, since folks like Ray D'Arcy and the previously mentioned Joe Duffy were getting irksome. If anyone remembers when Danny Healy Rae got a verbal tongue lashing without any chance to defend himself from D'Arcy (Ray hung up on him before he could say anything), then they will certainly see why these regulations are needed. Now, while I admit that that was rather extreme behaviour by Ray (He allowed Jim Corr to defend himself on his show, even when Jim was clearly in the wrong) it was an extreme that should never have happened.

I have not heard what Mooney has said that could cause ire. I presumed the guy was big into his nature stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

I have not heard what Mooney has said that could cause ire. I presumed the guy was big into his nature stuff.
    I just think he has become more outspoken recently. It comes across as condescending when he spells out what's appropriate in a situation or "answers back" to a caller's message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Freedom of expression is fine.

A presenter utilizing the platform to push their own agenda is most certainly not.

If this puts manners on Duffy and Mooney it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yeah because putting manners on duffy and darcy is a great reason to bring in a pointless waste of time rule like this, hopefully the waste of space BAI will see sense and see this is both pointless and a non starter, but i suspect they won't

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The BAI to their credit (and I allow, that like almost all quangos, they are staffed by loyal Fianna Failers, and in this particular case, by ex RTE people), always seem to deal with any complaints that come to their attention in a concise and thorough manner.

I have no reason to expect that they will act otherwise in respect of these new guidelines and obligations-and I'll be the first one to write in, in the likely event that Duffy engages in his usual buffoonery, and attempts to steer a topic in his own direction, instead of leaving it to the callers, as he should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Anything that might put a clamp on that irritant Jonathan Healy would be good. He appears to invite people onto his "show" only to tell them "surely the real point is..."

Advertisement