Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

joint pains after giving up smoking

• 04-07-2013 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

:confused:Would like to know if anyone else in same position as me. I gave up smoking 9 months ago using champix. I honestly feel worse since giving up. I have pains in my finger joints and elbows also very stiff joints when i get out of bed. Also have no energy, I was a smoker for 30 years. Does anyone else have any of these symptons, I went to my doctor but didnt really get anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,332 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

All kinds of weird things can happen when you stop, your body needs to re-adjust, one thing is for sure and that's giving up smoking didn't cause the problem and if it did it's only temporary.
    Try not to associate any problems you've had since you gave up smoking with giving up smoking, it's only a coincidence. It's like saying "ohh I broke my leg after I gave up smoking". Smoking played no part in breaking the leg.

Be careful what you read online, there's vested interests out there that will tell you taking back up smoking will cure an illness, it's nonsense, don't fall for it.

Well done on being so long off them. Try some food supplements and see does it help with the joints..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nidgeweaseal

All kinds of weird things can happen when you stop, your body needs to re-adjust, one thing is for sure and that's giving up smoking didn't cause the problem and if it did it's only temporary.
    Try not to associate any problems you've had since you gave up smoking with giving up smoking, it's only a coincidence. It's like saying "ohh I broke my leg after I gave up smoking". Smoking played no part in breaking the leg.

Be careful what you read online, there's vested interests out there that will tell you taking back up smoking will cure an illness, it's nonsense, don't fall for it.

Well done on being so long off them. Try some food supplements and see does it help with the joints..

Happened to a friend of mine, he had a massive heart attack and died true story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Nicotine turns your own mind against you. Don't let it. It could be playing tricks on you.

The other possibility is that you were due these pains about now regardless. If anything the 30 years of smoking might have weakened your body. Like breaking a leg you will need a year or two to fully recover.

You're mighty for quitting, just remember whatever aches and pains you ever get in your life at least you beat those evil cancer sticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Is your stiffness worse in the morning? Have you tried nurofen or any other ibuprofen based drug and have symptoms eased?

If so, I would visit another GP and explain your symptoms. It could be arthritis. Smokers are two times likely to get rheumatoid arthritis.

I gave up 6 months ago however my joint pain started about a year ago but got really bad when I quit. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in July.

Keep strong. Like drunkmonkey said above, giving up smoking has not caused these pains. It is likely that smoking in the first place played a part in causing them and returning to smoking will only make it a lot worse (especially if it is arthritis, smoking is proven to worsen joint pain and stiffness).

Advertisement