Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia Applications Development(Bsc)

Options
  • 03-07-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello.

I'm an international student who is interested in Multimedia Applications Development at WIT.

I wonder about how much mathematics skill do i need for successful completion this course? I love to study about computer, but i don't have good mathe skills.

Thank you for your attention! i hope to meet everyone in WIT in the future :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

All programming courses seem to have maths in first year, then no more of it for the remainder of the course.

That's certainly the case in Software Systems anyway... And Multimedia has a lot more to do with the artsy side of things, likr flash animations. So I'd imagine that they have even less to do with maths!

You should wait until someone on the multimedia course comes along to chip in with their opinion though, before making any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ielts

a fat guy wrote: »
    All programming courses seem to have maths in first year, then no more of it for the remainder of the course.

That's certainly the case in Software Systems anyway... And Multimedia has a lot more to do with the artsy side of things, likr flash animations. So I'd imagine that they have even less to do with maths!

You should wait until someone on the multimedia course comes along to chip in with their opinion though, before making any decisions.

Thank you for your answer!

I hope to work in Ireland after my undergraduate degree, WIT has good respect in I.T industry??

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

There's maths in 1st and 2nd year and its covered over 3 modules. The maths you do in semester 1 of 1st year are fairly straight forward from what I remember but they do get progressively harder as the course progress. In first year you will cover things like matrices and stats, among other topics. In 2nd year will be be doing maths for 3D graphics. I really struggled with maths in the course, but that's not to say you will. You just have to try to keep on top of it and not let it bog you down.

Good Luck:)

There's maths in 1st and 2nd year and its covered over 3 modules. The maths you do in semester 1 of 1st year are fairly straight forward from what I remember but they do get progressively harder as the course progress. In first year you will cover things like matrices and stats, among other topics. In 2nd year will be be doing maths for 3D graphics. I really struggled with maths in the course, but that's not to say you will. You just have to try to keep on top of it and not let it bog you down.

Good Luck:)

Thank you for you answer! i will prepare to study Mathe in this Summer :)
    I have one more question, if you don't mind could you let me how many student drop out 1st year in this course?(How many student progress 2nd year?)

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ielts wrote: »
    Thank you for you answer! i will prepare to study Mathe in this Summer :)
    I have one more question, if you don't mind could you let me how many student drop out 1st year in this course?(How many student progress 2nd year?)

Thanks again!

When I did this course originally 81 were in it and about 40 people left after first year. From what I see after second year there is now about 15 people left.

Huge dropout rates for the course more than likely caused by people not knowing how tough things like programming are if you have no interest in it. Also, the music module is a bit of a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

It's like that in all courses though.

My course started with 35, and in fourth year (Which is an add-on, in fairness) there were only two original students left. Students joined our course from other courses, and some of ours left for other courses. Most who made it that far just didn't return for fourth year.

So expect very large drop-out rates basically!

a fat guy wrote: »
    It's like that in all courses though.

My course started with 35, and in fourth year (Which is an add-on, in fairness) there were only two original students left. Students joined our course from other courses, and some of ours left for other courses. Most who made it that far just didn't return for fourth year.

So expect very large drop-out rates basically!
    Thank you for your reply! I contacted WIT office and they told me i can apply Software system development course. In future, i hope to work in gameing development or Internet Security parts. But, i am not sure this course benefit for me. Could you give me any informations about this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

If it games your interested in you should go for Entertainment systems. Software Systems concentrates on the business side of programming. For example designing systems for companies to use rather than games.

People who do Software Systems are more likely to work for someone like http://www.sap.com/ rather than Bioware or EA or whatever. Youll learn a lot about business processes and strategies aswell as coding in Systems.

edit - also dont even think about others dropping out. Just by doing this bit of research youve already done more than 50% of irish people id say. youll be fine.

Advertisement