Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Time Capsule

Options
  • 03-07-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Time Capsule and need some help to get it to work properly. It will be immediately obviously that I'm not tech savvy and need some help in plain english! Here's the story:
    • I lived overseas and a friend set it up for me as a wireless hard-drive, with automatic updates. It was also my router and connected with my macbook.
    • I then moved, so it hasn't been used in a few months.
    • I'm now in a new apartment that has wifi. I want to set up my Time Capsule again but don't need it as my router.
    • I plugged it in to the wall (not to the router) and my laptop now sees that the network is there (let's call it Time Capsule Network) however unsurprisingly I can't connect to it!

So, how do I get my Time Capsule to "talk" to my wifi and then for my laptop to automatically back up to it?

Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Kerryite wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a Time Capsule and need some help to get it to work properly. It will be immediately obviously that I'm not tech savvy and need some help in plain english! Here's the story:
    • I lived overseas and a friend set it up for me as a wireless hard-drive, with automatic updates. It was also my router and connected with my macbook.
    • I then moved, so it hasn't been used in a few months.
    • I'm now in a new apartment that has wifi. I want to set up my Time Capsule again but don't need it as my router.
    • I plugged it in to the wall (not to the router) and my laptop now sees that the network is there (let's call it Time Capsule Network) however unsurprisingly I can't connect to it!

So, how do I get my Time Capsule to "talk" to my wifi and then for my laptop to automatically back up to it?

Help would be greatly appreciated!!

This is really supposed to be in the Mac Forum.

So why are you trying to connect to it? Is it to access files on the built in HDD? Or as an AirPlay receiver? Secondly, why can't you connect? Do you get an error message? What's stopping you from connecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Hi,

The simple answer is that a lack of knowledge is stopping me from connecting!

I want to be able to use it as a wireless hard drive and set it up to do automatic updates. At the moment my laptop can see both my normal wifi (which is working) and can also see the Time Capsule network. However I can't connect to the Time Capsule network; which I presume is because the Time Capsule isn't itself connected to the internet.

So, how do I fix this? Do I need to buy a cable and connect the Time Capsule to the modem?

As you can see I know very little, so yes I need very basic instructions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I think the Time Capsule may be clashing with your wireless router. It's generally not a good idea to have two wireless access points on the one netwrok.

You will need to connect the TC to the router with an ethernet cable. If you want to use your router's wireless you will need to use Airport Utility and put the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode. Otherwise switch off the wireless capability of the router and simply use it as a modem.

BTW: this should be in the Mac forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Hi Tallpaul - thanks, I'll get an ethernet cable and will look at how to put the TC into Bridge Mode.

Do you know if doing any of this will compromise what's already stored on the TC?

And I'm not sure if I can move this to the Mac forum or if I need a Mod to do that for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

tallpaul wrote: »
    I think the Time Capsule may be clashing with your wireless router. It's generally not a good idea to have two wireless access points on the one netwrok.

You will need to connect the TC to the router with an ethernet cable. If you want to use your router's wireless you will need to use Airport Utility and put the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode. Otherwise switch off the wireless capability of the router and simply use it as a modem.

BTW: this should be in the Mac forum.

You CAN use both devices though. When setting up the TC it asks whether you want to use it as a wireless router. Selecting 'no' will then allow you to use it as a wireless hard drive for backup through time machine etc.

I haven't got a TC myself so I'm not sure what happens when you've files already stored and you need to set it up as a backup solution only. But two of them can be used at the same time. No need for the Ethernet cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement