Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Museum Collection Online

Options
  • 03-07-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Just thought I'd start a thread to bring attention to the on-line publication of British museum's collection.. There's an awful lot of stuff from Ireland that has made it's way over there, and it may be of interest to thrall through it and identify interesting items..

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/search.aspx

An item that caught my own eye was this 7th - 8th Century mount for a drinking horn Acquired/Found in Lismore County Waterford.. Listing Here

AN01199330_001_l.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

From what I hear, there are many artefacts in this collection of huge importance to LIARI.
    Many that were previously dismissed as anomalies, are currently being reassessed in light of fresh thinking on a Roman presence in Ireland.

Let's hope this cooperative spirit continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Simon.d wrote: »
    Just thought I'd start a thread to bring attention to the on-line publication of British museum's collection.. There's an awful lot of stuff from Ireland that has made it's way over there, and it may be of interest to thrall through it and identify interesting items..

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/search.aspx

An item that caught my own eye was this 7th - 8th Century mount for a drinking horn Acquired/Found in Lismore County Waterford.. Listing Here

AN01199330_001_l.jpg

Are they labeled to show where they were stolen from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

slowburner wrote: »
    Let's hope this cooperative spirit continues.

If the recent return of the Tipp hoard is anything to go by, relations between Ireland the BM couldnt be better. Have to wonder if having an Irishman as the chairman of the board of trustees has anything to do with it...?

Advertisement