Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost estimate of installing additional plug sockets

Options
  • 03-07-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Getting some work done about the house and intend to install approx 12 new double plug sockets in an existing concrete house.

The intention is to eventually dryline the house on the inside of the external walls so the conduit will be left running down the face these walls. Internal walls are not being dry-lined so recesses are to be made on these wall to accommodate the wiring. This will mean making 7 channels down these walls

Walls are concrete throughout, internal and external. Double sockets to be put in throughout Also, about 6 existing plug sockets to be changed from single sockets to double sockets.

Could somebody possibly give me a ballpark figure for supply and fit of this work please
    Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

if you're sticking 50/80mm sheets to the outside walls the wiring is usually put in flush for this

when you say concrete is it mass concrete or block??

and is it bungalow or 2 storey ?

timber joists or hollowcore and dropped ceiling if 2 storey?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

While you're getting all that done ask about getting a generator hook-up point and proper changeover switch installed - with all this crazy weather we're having

dunno are them portable gennys great for electronic stuff

the good ones are expensive

suppose you could turn off sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You'd have to laugh at some of them and their "modified sine wave", ok for a few festoon lights just about ?

i think theres a few possible issues with using portable gennys anyhow

the waveform and voltage regulation maybe on the cheaper ones?

also short-circuit current or disconnection times?

i can't recall if the site ones are 230v CTE or not -that's another possible issue if they are?
    if i'm not mistaken i recall N-E faults on domestic wiring causing problems if there's no rcd on genny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks to all for yer input which is very much appreciated. Thanks for the thought but wont be going for the hook up point for the generator presently...priorities and all that I'm afraid.

Mikehammer67 To clarify the house is a single storey bungalow with concrete block walls. Dry-lining slab going on exterior walls is 38mm thick.

Just looking for a ball-park figure for this work really

bungalow will be straightforward

someone will be able to give a guesstimate

it would be normal to have the wavin flush on exterior wall if it's an insulated slab fixed directly to wall

when you say concrete block maybe you mean regular block-i dunno eh?:)

when you say concrete block maybe you mean regular block-i dunno eh?:)

Thanks mikehammer67.

It is regular concrete block to the best of my knowledge. To the best of my knowledge 100mm or circa 4 inches in old money

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

op someone would most likely have to look at this for you. if you are getting this work done together and you have the areas sealed off then a twin blade cutting machine would make this a quicker job for someone to do, i.e could someone use a cutting or twin cutting disk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Hi all,

Getting some work done about the house and intend to install approx 12 new double plug sockets in an existing concrete house.

The intention is to eventually dryline the house on the inside of the external walls so the conduit will be left running down the face these walls. Internal walls are not being dry-lined so recesses are to be made on these wall to accommodate the wiring. This will mean making 7 channels down these walls

Walls are concrete throughout, internal and external. Double sockets to be put in throughout Also, about 6 existing plug sockets to be changed from single sockets to double sockets.

Could somebody possibly give me a ballpark figure for supply and fit of this work please

You would be talking roughly €600 supply and fit all in.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for yer input. I got a quote of €2,000 for this work. I don't work in the building trade and wouldn't be too clued in on the cost of this kind of work, hence why I started the thread.

Today I got in touch with another electrician over the phone. Explained exactly what I wanted done and he gave me a quote of €1,000. He said about €900 should probably do it but seen as he hasn't seen the place yet and in case there were unforeseen eventualities he'd say €1,000 for the time being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its usually around 40 euro per double socket for supply,wire and fit.

The fancier the socket plate then the more expensive it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Any 2024 price updates on the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

at least double it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement