Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Pact Coffee =)

Options
  • 03-07-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Get your free 100g sample of Pact Coffee:

https://www.pactcoffee.com/bbc-goodfood-exclusive

- Use BT1 1AA as postcode

- Fill out the rest of your address as normal. Make sure to include Ireland in the address.

- Use your visa/credit card details.

- You can cancel at any time.

Ordered mine on Monday and received it today Wednesday :-)

I still haven't tasted it (cause I'm sick) but it smells good!

Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Got this yesterday. Nice stuff. Might even get more, not bad value at £6.95 delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

kc66 wrote: »
    Got this yesterday. Nice stuff. Might even get more, not bad value at £6.95 delivered.

How is £6.95 for 250g of ground coffee not that bad value ? You can buy 500g of pretty decent Arabica ground coffee in Lidl for €3.99, 500g of this stuff would set you back €16 before further postage costs. I'm not getting how something four times the price is good value, is it going to taste four times better :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

RATM wrote: »
    How is £6.95 for 250g of ground coffee not that bad value ? You can buy 500g of pretty decent Arabica ground coffee in Lidl for €3.99, 500g of this stuff would set you back €16 before further postage costs. I'm not getting how something four times the price is good value, is it going to taste four times better :confused:

Store bought is never better.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

Thanks very much OP, a very fantastic freebie. I've been getting a lot of use out of BT11AA recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

They wanted my credit card details, no thanks.

• Advertisement

jmch81 wrote: »
    They wanted my credit card details, no thanks.

I'm sorry were you planning on paying cash for a subscription? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It will make you cheer and whoop like in the films.

We'll see, Pact. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

This stuff is freshly roasted and ground to suit your coffee machine. Or even sent full bean.

The stuff in lidl or Tesco or where ever could have been ground last year for all you know. Big difference in taste.
    Im going to give it ago. But in fairness for the same money Coffeeangle.ie can do it from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

It is a good price for freshly roasted beans posted to your house. Most other companies work out more expensive. Anything from the supermarkets is muck once you get a taste for decent coffee. It tastes 50 times better freshly ground if using the right grinder and machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Danger781 wrote: »
    I'm sorry were you planning on paying cash for a subscription? :pac:

It's not a subscription. You don't have to buy any after the sample.

• Advertisement

http://bailiescoffee.com/

Also quite competitive. My year long subscription is almost finished.

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dogre

Good value, imho, coffee at

http://www.discountcoffee.ie/coffee/coffee-beans

I have no connection to discount coffee, beyond being a regular customer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You are signing up for a subscription. You have to cancel- or else 2 weeks later they automatically send you a £6.95 bag. As they are seeking a credit card number- I'm not availing of this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So I signed up just purely for the free coffee. How long do you reckon you can leave it before cancelling the account and still getting your free coffee?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I just cancelled mine, received an email the day before saying it was on the way. Hope they don't go running after the post man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

brokenarms wrote: »
    This stuff is freshly roasted and ground to suit your coffee machine. Or even sent full bean.

The stuff in lidl or Tesco or where ever could have been ground last year for all you know. Big difference in taste.
    Im going to give it ago. But in fairness for the same money Coffeeangle.ie can do it from Ireland.

I'm still not getting a justification for the £6.95 for 250g price being good value, even more so after I looked at the Pact website- the guy is buying the beans direct from farmers in different continents therefore saving costs by cutting out several middlemen. Then he is roasting it himself in London in what sounds like a backyard operation. His costs are extremely low because he has already done the legwork of procurement, supply chain & logistics.

I've been on coffee plantations in both Costa Rica and Colombia and you can buy huge sacks of coffee beans for very low prices at source direct from the farmer which is exactly what this guy is doing.

Granted freshness equates to better quality, i'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that it is difficult to justify paying four times the price over quite good supermarket coffee for this Pact coffee and even more so when you know that the main product is being bought for pennies on the other side of the world before a roasting and grinding in a backyard shed suddenly make it worth €32 a kilo. It wouldn't be as bad if the company was at least a paid up member of an organisation like Fair Trade and letting customers know that the coffee farmers get a fair price for the product but they aren't even doing that. €32 a kilo for any type of coffee is insane- to put perspective on it a barrel of oil is €81 at todays prices, for that you get 158 litres of oil which is a hell of a lot harder and more costly to extract than picking coffee beans. The cost of a barrel of oil (€81) would only get you around 2.5 kilos of this coffee. And they call oil black gold, perhaps coffee is the new black gold, especially if customers feel good about being ripped off for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

I'm still not getting a justification for the £6.95 for 250g price being good value, even more so after I looked at the Pact website- the guy is buying the beans direct from farmers in different continents therefore saving costs by cutting out several middlemen. Then he is roasting it himself in London in what sounds like a backyard operation. His costs are extremely low because he has already done the legwork of procurement, supply chain & logistics.

I've been on coffee plantations in both Costa Rica and Colombia and you can buy huge sacks of coffee beans for very low prices at source direct from the farmer which is exactly what this guy is doing.

Granted freshness equates to better quality, i'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that it is difficult to justify paying four times the price over quite good supermarket coffee for this Pact coffee and even more so when you know that the main product is being bought for pennies on the other side of the world before a roasting and grinding in a backyard shed suddenly make it worth €32 a kilo. It wouldn't be as bad if the company was at least a paid up member of an organisation like Fair Trade and letting customers know that the coffee farmers get a fair price for the product but they aren't even doing that. €32 a kilo for any type of coffee is insane- to put perspective on it a barrel of oil is €81 at todays prices, for that you get 158 litres of oil which is a hell of a lot harder and more costly to extract than picking coffee beans. The cost of a barrel of oil (€81) would only get you around 2.5 kilos of this coffee. And they call oil black gold, perhaps coffee is the new black gold, especially if customers feel good about being ripped off for it.

The coffee on offer here is not supermarket grade coffee - its not even starbucks/insomnia grade coffee which is probably sold at a similar price. These are speciality coffees which are typically the highest grade of coffee a farmer can produce - batches tend to be small and depending on how good any crop is you'll have a number of speciality roasters trying to buy them. Obviously the best beans will command the best price. Now I'm not saying this place is buying the best beans - and I know nothing about their roast profiles so they may not be to your or my taste - but I can guarantee you that if you brewed it correctly the coffee would be worlds away from any supermarket coffee you might be making price comparisons to.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

Ordered mine on weds morn :) Not received it yet though, had anyone had theirs delivered to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Sappy404

You're paying for the convenience as well. You could buy sacks of coffee like you claim he's doing, but you likely couldn't drink it before it started to spoil even if you did want to go through the supplier directly and pay the import duties etc.

Besides, it's a small company. I very much doubt the markup on his coffee is significantly more that that of a supermarket or coffee chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

The Fair Trade jibe is, well unfair. Specialty coffee invariably attracts higher prices than Fair Trade prices and this is confirmed on the website, where it says: "We will ensure you are paid at least 2x the Fair Trade rate for your beans"
    http://blog.pactcoffee.com/post/53733762290/yourgrind-is-now-pact

Get your free 100g sample of Pact Coffee:

https://www.pactcoffee.com/bbc-goodfood-exclusive

- Use BT1 1AA as postcode

- Fill out the rest of your address as normal. Make sure to include Ireland in the address.

- Use your visa/credit card details.

- You can cancel at any time.

Ordered mine on Monday and received it today Wednesday :-)

I still haven't tasted it (cause I'm sick) but it smells good!

Enjoy.
    g35w.jpg
    My free coffee beans arrived this morning. Very nice rich espresso coffee. Im just after finishing a tin of Illy coffee beans and this stuff is so much better. Lovely with a sweetened steamed milk. Took a couple of cups to find the correct grind . Choked the coffee machine with the Illy grind settings.
    Delighted with the find. Im going to keep the subscription going.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

brokenarms wrote: »
    g35w.jpg
    My free coffee beans arrived this morning. Very nice rich espresso coffee. Im just after finishing a tin of Illy coffee beans and this stuff is so much better. Lovely with a sweetened steamed milk. Took a couple of cups to find the correct grind . Choked the coffee machine with the Illy grind settings.
    Delighted with the find. Im going to keep the subscription going.
    Thanks.

What sort of machine you got there?

Catler Smart Grinder (Breville Smart Grinder rebranded)
    and a Gaggia Cubika .

Advertisement