Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology... Now even sneakier.

Options
  • 02-07-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭

Was watching an old doc on YouTube regarding Hubbard's Bolloxology, and had a quick google for Scientology Ireland afterward. I remember a time when you couldn't walk on Middle Abbey St in Dublin without being offered the free 'personality test' (No thanks - I tested positive for a personality years ago...), and was curious as to the current state of this shower in Ireland. While they do have a much lower profile, they are still very much active, and just as devious.

Anyway, my google search threw this up:

http://www.bestjobs.ie/bt-empd-cofsdublin1.htm

It appears to be a regular enough looking jobs site, and I've no reason to suppose it is anything but. However, in the current climate, with many people desperate for work, or even experience, and with many people just as naive as people ever were, I must admit to being firstly, a little disgusted at what seems to me to be an opportunistic recruitment lure, and secondly, quite surprised that any reputable jobs website would accept the ad.

I'd be interested to see what others think. Am I being over-vigilant?

Even though I've posted this in A&A, I don't think I'm coming at this from an entirely anti-religion perspective. We do like to ridicule Scientology over here, but I find thinking in this instance more about vulnerable people being lured in by a demonstrably insidious, manipulative and damaging organization. I sent off a quick email to the site, simply to register a concern. I won't ask anybody else to do the same, but am sure one or two may be compelled to do so. No harm.

I'd be very interested to see how y'all respond.

Anyway. The text of the ad:

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Dublin Dianetics Centre & Church of Scientology[/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma, Arial]http://www.scientology.org[/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Address:[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial]62/63 Middle Abbey St
    Dublin - 1
    Dublin
    [/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Contact:[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Issy Dickson[/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Email:[/FONT]correoe.cgi?empd=cofsdublin1&1372793277

Company description:

In Ireland for over 15 years, we provide a place where people can change their lives - do better, be happier. All this is done through Dianetics and Scientology technology - and it works.

We need people who are willing to work to help others on a voluntary basis - there is remuneration.

People want to know who they are and why they are here... we have the answers.

If you want to be part of a team that never makes you wrong, that is fun to work with and that gets results, then call the above number. No matter what your skills they will be very welcome here. Training given.

Vacancies:

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]None[/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm sure they've as much right as any other profit driven company to advertise their open positions when they arise.

I'm not sure what your issue is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, for a start, they don't represent themselves as a profit driven company. They represent themselves as a religion. The reasons for the CoS trying to get people in the door are, despite what they might claim, to recruit people to take first one short 'course', then another, to yet more in a string of 'courses' that do nothing but empty bank accounts and damage those who fall for the scam.

That'd be my first issue. The ad i quoted is a scam dressed up as an opportunity. In the current climate, people need opportunity, not a scam.

As Hubbard himself said, 'You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion'.

There are no open positions, yet the ad invites contact, for 'volunteer' work that may involve 'renumeration'. It says 'we have no open positions, but do get in touch. We'll find a place for you'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

They do say "We need people who are willing to work to help others on a voluntary basis - there is remuneration".

Which sounds like payment for work rendered, sounds like a job to me.
    Not necessarily a job I'd want mind you, but hey in my view if you're looking to work for a company/organisation the onus is on you to research what you're getting yourself into.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's what looks like a scientology cross on a building in Cork City.

It's next to the crossroads that leads onto Washington street and passes between the courthouse and The Bailey pub.

Does anyone know is that actually a scientology.. ehh... nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'll be passing later and shall investigate!

Edit: Wait, are you talking about the SHARE building?

http://www.sharecork.org/

I'd never noticed the similarity before!

(There's actually a picture of me on that page, I was heavily involved years ago.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

It'd be some rather unusual experience to include on one's CV......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Corkfeen wrote: »
    It'd be some rather unusual experience to include on one's CV......

A good portion of my CV refers to volunteer work there, if it turns out SHARE is a cover for Scientology, well that would be damn sneaky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

TheChizler wrote: »
    A good portion of my CV refers to volunteer work there, if it turns out SHARE is a cover for Scientology, well that would be damn sneaky!

Include Tom Cruise and Will Smith as references..... :cool: If you were entering the field of psychology or psychiatry, Scientology would definitely fall into the category of unusual experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'll be passing later and shall investigate!

Edit: Wait, are you talking about the SHARE building?

http://www.sharecork.org/

I'd never noticed the similarity before!

(There's actually a picture of me on that page, I was heavily involved years ago.)

That's it yeah. That makes more sense.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

Ha Ha The nutters, I remember being stopped for a personality test.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

I'm sure they've as much right as any other profit driven company to advertise their open positions when they arise.

I'm not sure what your issue is here.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

J.P.M wrote: »
    Ha Ha The nutters, I remember being stopped for a personality test.

I was stopped for a "stress test" once. I did it to see what all the fuss was about. You have to hold 2 batons as such, that are connected to what looks like an old analog volt meter with a big needle that measures stress based on my answers to the probing questions such as - do you get on with your family, do you have any enemies, how is work etc. The woman conducting the test was a complete cube head, i.e. no humour out of her what so ever. She came across as a bit odd.

I found out early in the test that the needle twitches with the slightest contraction of you hands holding the batons, so I loosened my grip as each question was asked.

Results: Im stress free. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Andrewf20 wrote: »

I found out early in the test that the needle twitches with the slightest contraction of you hands holding the batons, so I loosened my grip as each question was asked.

Results: Im stress free. :P

That's what you think.
    They are going to come and get you while you are asleep in your bed, because they don't like being tricked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Kivaro wrote: »
    That's what you think.
    They are going to come and get you while you are asleep in your bed, because they don't like being tricked.

Feck. :( Just as well im abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pedrofcuk

There is a page on facebook https://www.facebook.com/LifeImprovementIreland

This is actually a Scientology front. You are invited to do the Personality Test. Read the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Idid the test just to see. They demand your phone number..

''The results of the test can only be seen by yourself. For this reason, we will call you to arrange a time for you to visit our Centre and get them in person. If the mobile number you submit here is incorrect, we won't be able to reach you and give you the test results! So please fill out the fields below carefully.''

Latest litter campaign in Dublin.
    9IJBipP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

FTFY ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

A few years back in London I opened up a letter on my desk at work that I didn't notice wasn't addressed to me. It was a letter to someone who had previously lived/worked at that address and was a follow up to their stress test that they had done 21 years ago. Over 2 decades before, this woman had been stopped randomly on Oxford St and had done the stress test then ignored whatever follow up was done at the time, yet the 'church' were still firing out letters to her every so often, possibly hoping to catch her at a more desperate point in her life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

pedrofcuk wrote: »
    Latest litter campaign in Dublin.

I got two of these through the door on Sunday. Normally Sunday is the day when the footsoldiers of Alive! come calling, so it seems the battle of the crazies has begun, and it's being fought on your doormat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got some pro-forced-pregnancy leaflets through the door after 1am last weekend (it actually woke me up :mad:). They're shit scared that anyone would speak to them. If I'd have been there at the time, they'd have been told into which orifice they could have stuffed their literature sideways.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I got a couple of those leaflets through the door at 11pm on Saturday night. Random.

Dave! wrote: »
    Yeah I got a couple of those leaflets through the door at 11pm on Saturday night. Random.

I suppose that's why I made the initial post. I don't think its in the least bit random. There's a lot of vulnerable people about, given the current economic climate, who might see such a leaflet to be offering a possible way forward. An organization like Scientology thrives on just such a situation, and preys on the desperate.

Its bait. Why weren't those leaflets randomly dropped at the height of the boom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I mean the 11pm on a Saturday is random. I also noted the sneakiness of their campaign beginning in the midst of a recession! :D

Dave! wrote: »
    I mean the 11pm on a Saturday is random. I also noted the sneakiness of their campaign beginning in the midst of a recession! :D

Having a sleepy day here. Bear with me...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

endacl wrote: »
    I suppose that's why I made the initial post. I don't think its in the least bit random. There's a lot of vulnerable people about, given the current economic climate, who might see such a leaflet to be offering a possible way forward. An organization like Scientology thrives on just such a situation, and preys on the desperate.

Its bait. Why weren't those leaflets randomly dropped at the height of the boom?

And with people turning away from the Catholic Church, there are souls up for grabs. It's a feeding frenzy for Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientologists and money-grabbing shysters posing as evangelicals. Better the devil you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I always find Jehovas to be decent enough people at least.

Until you wish one of their children a happy birthday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Decent people do not call around to strangers' houses to annoy them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement