Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another, Yet another images being used without permissions

Options
  • 02-07-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I did some work for a client who has so far not paid, and i now believe they will not pay. As i was suspicious, i withheld the majority of images, but did supply 9 or so sample images. He has now used these images on his practices Facebook page and several other websites where he has removed my signature from the photo.

I've asked him to remove the images, but he has refused, and has even come back and threatened me with suing me for trespassing on his property and taking photographs unknowing to him (laughable as he poses in the photos, on an open day).

What is the best way (without going down a very expensive legal route) to get him to kop on.

I've been polite and firm to date, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Send invoice.
    Send reminder invoice.
    Contact solicitor and send letter for breach of contract (assuming you have a contract in place to say you will do X work for Y payment).

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Verbal contract, and invoice has been sent 3 times and ignored. I'm only starting out and don;t want to get landed with a large solicitors bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

From the above link
    easy way for consumers to resolve disputes

The OP is not a consumer in this dispute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Could you use a DMCA notice on Facebook/hosting company to remove the images?

• Advertisement

I've never heard of DMCA, but on research isn't it a US law ? it might work on Facebook though. I will look into it. Cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wouldn't expect that it would cost very much for a solicitor to draft some sort of scary letter, threatening further action. It might be enough to frighten them into coughing up. If they're only using the snaps on their Facebook page, then they probably wouldn't think it's worth any potential further hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

paulusdu wrote: »
    ...and has even come back and threatened me with suing me for trespassing on his property and taking photographs unknowing to him..

The same photographs that he is displaying on his site/Facebook? He sounds like a nutter. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    From the above link

The OP is not a consumer in this dispute

The link also says that "Businesses can make claims against other businesses in relation to contracts for goods or services purchased"

The same photographs that he is displaying on his site/Facebook? He sounds like a nutter. :pac:

He does sound like that alright. I think he is used to bullying people with semi legal jargon and hoping to scare them off. I think i will get my solicitor to write up a letter alright, might be the best course of action. I don;t have time to deal with his bull anymore.

It just really irritates me that he has come back in this fashion. Its now more the principal of the thing than money to be honest after his come back. I can now fully understand why people follow these things to the end with such vigor. It just annoys me that i will be out of pocket paying for a solicitor because of him. But i would rather that than him get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My bad side would be tempted to call his bluff on the trespass shyte. :D

I like your style Kenny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If you report him to facebook will they take down the photos anyway?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    If you report him to facebook will they take down the photos anyway?

Yeah, Facebook are quite good at removing images under a DCMA complaint, once they verify. I've done it before. They take it seriously.

Cheers for the advice guys, it worked a treat. I filled in a DCMA form on Facebook and in fairness to them they removed the images in about an hour. Im not their biggest fan but they took this seriously, so result.

Advertisement