Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus 2011 "Engine Malfunction" warning

Options
  • 02-07-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

First time posting on the the motors forum but can really do with some advice!

Hubby and I traded in a 07 Peugeot for a 11 Ford Focus Sport with less than 16Km on the clock 11 days ago, from a reputable D4 Peugeot dealer who also sold us the previous car. The day we paid for and picked up the car, an “Engine Malfunction” Light came on flashing even before we left the forecourt. The car was immediately brought to a Ford dealer before it was delivered to us with an explanation that a low fuel level has caused the computer to go into a “limp” mode.

Unfortunately, the same warning light came on again less than an hour or some 7 miles later. Car went back and it was another 5 days before we saw it again, this time we were told there was a sensor problem and the faulty parts had been replaced. We were assured that everything has been thoroughly checked.

We duly filled up the diesel tank and drove it for a few days until the same warning lights came on again, this time flashing a message “reduced acceleration”. What was most odd was that even when the car was stationery with the brake applied, there was a surge in engine rev and the engine became very noisy. By that stage we knew we shouldn’t drive it. I was livid as we had to abort a trip to an annual event in the country for which I had bought tickets and a special frock months earlier :mad:!

The car went back for a THIRD time and all we have been told is that a chief technician at Ford has identified numerous problems but has not found the cause(s). Well I am a housewife/woman driver but I can tell you the car has numerous problems too!!!

This has been a thoroughly frustrating exercise as we are dealing with a Peugeot dealer who is supposed to be sorting the car out with a Ford dealer…. Having failed to identify potentially serious engine problems and passing them off as minor fuel level or sensor issues (ie BS) on two occasions , I have little confidence in these people and the cowboyish attitude !

I think there was a big Toyota recall a few years ago when cars experienced sudden power surge. It is potentially dangerous – imagine braking at the lights but the power surge causes the car to accelerate instead. Isn’t that the cause of the Wellington Quay bus crash years ago?

Has anyone had this problem with a Ford Focus and can shed a light on possible causes? Although there is a one year warranty this car is supposed to be sold “fully serviced to manufacturers’ specification” which is a joke. It certainly wasn’t of “merchantable quality” as required by consumer law. SIMI website advises contacting senior management of the dealer – a letter was sent but senior management is apparently on holiday…. again are we being brushed off?

Even if the car is “fixed” again I am not sure if we should use it for our upcoming trip to West Cork / Ring of Kerry. Having “owned” it for 11 days, the experience has left me with no confidence and a sour taste. Did I buy a "lemon"?? :( Just don’t want to risk having to hitch hike home from Bantry!

What would you do, Boarders? Any advice/comments would be much appreciated! Thankyou!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That's probably a potentially engine-damaging misfire - that's why the computer is flashing the light. This can be caused by the failure of a couple of different sensors, a faulty injector, wiring plugs, compression problem, etc. Any competent mechanic should be able to read the fault codes stored by the car's on-board computer and perform a proper diag/repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Tell them you want your money back and move on. Life's too short to be dealing with crap like that. There's plenty more cars out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Jimgoose, that is what is supposed to happen. The Ford dealer is a big one in soith Dublin. First time they said no error code found and blamed low fuel! Second time they blamed a sensor. I have yet to hear what error/code(s) have been found third time by a chief Ford technician!

I am inclined to ask for money back too and move on, thats why we have written to senior managment as per SIMI advice prior to a formal complaint with SIMI. I cant see the dealer willingly handing back my cash especially that I traded in the old car as part payment. Should have kicked up a fuss on day 1 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

^^ this what muppetcheck said.

Could be a number of things.
    Money and your old car back if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't be hinging on the SIMI to do you any favors, I'd doubt very much they will rule against one of their own. Consumer Affairs would probably offer fairer advice than the SIMI who are just a dealer's club.

Also make sure you have every trip back to the garage documented and at this stage I would reject the car.

• Advertisement

The website of the National Consumer Agency is quite helpful. It states that :

When you buy from a dealer, the car should be:
    • Of merchantable quality – it should be of reasonable, acceptable quality given the age and history of the car
    • Fit for the purpose intended and roadworthy
    • As described – it should match the description given verbally or in an advertisement.
    In this case, I would argue that the car is neither of merchantable quality nor fot for the purpose as the fault appeared before driving off the forecourts! Just wish it's like M&S refund desk. Looks like we are being ignored/cold shouldered. Maybe a second letter then its time to stop being polite and start fighting our consumer rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭88manta

GO TO A REPUTABLE INDEPENDANT DIAGNOSTICS GUY AND GET THEM TO GIVE YOU A PRINTOUT OF ALL FAULTS RECORDED...

THEM GO BACK TO YOUR GARAGE AND PRESENT THEM WITH THE FACTS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Tell them you want your money back and move on. Life's too short to be dealing with crap like that. There's plenty more cars out there.

yeah, got OUT of that yoke ASAP, as its the 1.6 tdci sh!t heap engine, the worst of the worst..........

That yoke is currently being "fixed" by a Ford chief technician at a south Dublin Ford main-dealer and they are not disputing the latest findings that there are numerous problems despite their failure to identify them earlier. The problem is that they will fix it (probably temporarily) but it wont be reliable!!! The dealer will probably argue that they are fixing it under the warranty and refuse a refund! the other thing is that in all second hand sales buyers are suppose to agree to going through SIMI if any disputes arise. It'll just drag on. I dont intend to spend my summer stressed out or worried about the car breaking down or crashing! I need it sorted asap and get a reliable car and chalk this down to bad experience/lesson learned!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OP it sounds like the car is a bad'un. You should document everything from day 1 now. You must also give them a chance to fix it.

Check out your rights and write to the dealer detailing the problems. Tell them if the engine gives any more problems you will reject it, and will demand a refund.

p.s. The engine itself is a good reliable and very popular unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I would leave the car with them and demand a replacement car until the problem is sorted and your car is reliable and safe to drive.

Tbh the newer 8 valve (psa/ford) 1.6 tdci engine seems to be very reliable since the were released (2011)

It sounds like its a fuel problem..either a faulty Hp pump/regulator of one (or more) of the injectors are at fault....either way ford will have to sort this problem for you.

May not be connected but the owner of the this 508 (same engine as yours) has similar problems......:confused:
    http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/508-76/508-fault-codes-26148/

Best of luck with it and keep us updated..;)

Thank you Row, incidentally altho its a different make, it's also a March 2011 car like the other op!

We have a courtesy car but this saga has caused huge inconvenience and time, waiting around for the sick car to be picked up/delivered etc. It may also be a factor that we have paid for the car and the Peugeot dealer doesn't want to pay the Ford dealer for expensive parts.... I am sure we are not getting a straight and complete story second hand :( !

It also appears that the onus is on us to chase them up.... By the way, I still have a gripe with this Peugeot dealer from a few years ago. Picked up the old Peugeot from the dealer after the radiator and a brake-light switch were replaced, an hour later the brakes seized and the car emptied of water and coolant in the middle of the busy junction at the top of Anglesea Road/Ailesbury Road because the mechanics had failed to replace a jubilee clip and the new brake-light switch locked the brakes even though no pressure was being applied. It nearly caused an accident!

By this stage, I have almost given up on the problem being remedied in a satisfactory manner and am quite determined to take on this dealer and fight my consumer rights tooth and nail!

A second letter sent this morning to senior management, this time requesting refund. Finally an email reply around 11am saying specific fault identified and repaired, and can we take the car back etc... Very odd as the problem was not even identified as of 6pm yesterday evening :confused:! I am inclined to pursue my rights for a refund instead of taking the risk again. If a dodgy Doctor has given you the wrong diagnosis and treatment twice, would you go back to the same guy for a third time?? I was laughed at :p when I told people the dealer told me initially "Engine Malfunction" warning was caused by low fuel level. " I should know what a picture of a petrol pump looks like on the dashboard!!!"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What did your letter say?

I'd go and pick up the car, go for a good drive with the sevice manager and give him a final written notice that in the event of any recurrance of this issue during the warranty period you'll reject the car and will expect a full and immediate refund. Mention relevant sections of the S.O.G.A. and reserve your right to take legal action, should it be required.

Maybe I am just very lucky :), and I know there are a lot of horror stories about buying second hand cars.

In this case, I have to sing the praise of the dealer. I guess that is the advantage of dealing with a big dealer with good reputation. There was no need to go through SIMI. The first letter set out the problems experienced to date, and the second one expressed concern with safety if problems recurred and requested a refund. Quick call from manager and I explained why we cannot afford the time to try out the car again with an upcoming driving holiday booked for Aug Bank Holiday weekend. Very amicable and all sorted in a day (full refund including road tax). What started as a negative and frustrating experience has turned into a lot of good will and confidence in the dealer and I will happily buy from them again. Probably one of the best customer service experience - would be a five star if there is a tripadvisor review! Maybe other dealers should learn from them!

The real reason of the recurring fault in the Ford Focus will always remain a mystery to me.... Hopefully will find another suitable car in the next week or so. Meanwhile, I can see a lot of newer second hand cars are "UK imports" with no number plates. Is it possible to get info of the old UK reg and is there a way to check out the history of these cars online? Thanks for the advice!

dublin99 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I can see a lot of newer second hand cars are "UK imports" with no number plates. Is it possible to get info of the old UK reg and is there a way to check out the history of these cars online? Thanks for the advice!

You ask the seller to show you the V5 registration documents which will have the UK registration number on it. It should also have the car's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on it. The VIN should also be displayed at the bottom passenger side of the car's windscreen, make sure it matches that on the registration document.

a 11 Ford Focus Sport...

Was there such a model?

Was there such a model?

It was described as "Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Sport 108BHP 5DR "!

Good on them for issuing a full refund......

Was there such a model?

There was in the UK, it was based on the Zetec with a few extras including Sat Nav afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Sorry for bringing up a dead post but I am now experiencing the same issue with mine after 4 months of driving. Seems to only happen just after I change a gear and start to escelerate.

Already brought it to the garage they reset the software on sensors and its happened again.

Same model as O.P 2011 Ford Focus Sport (Zetec Import). Its now Xmas eve and not much I can do but I've left a voice mail for the garage.

I need the car for work so I'll update the thread once I get talking to someone. I'm interested to know if was a sensor or genuine fault with engine :/

Rattle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi Guys,

First time posting on the the motors forum but can really do with some advice!

Hubby and I traded in a 07 Peugeot for a 11 Ford Focus Sport with less than 16Km on the clock 11 days ago, from a reputable D4 Peugeot dealer who also sold us the previous car. The day we paid for and picked up the car, an “Engine Malfunction” Light came on flashing even before we left the forecourt. The car was immediately brought to a Ford dealer before it was delivered to us with an explanation that a low fuel level has caused the computer to go into a “limp” mode.

Unfortunately, the same warning light came on again less than an hour or some 7 miles later. Car went back and it was another 5 days before we saw it again, this time we were told there was a sensor problem and the faulty parts had been replaced. We were assured that everything has been thoroughly checked.

We duly filled up the diesel tank and drove it for a few days until the same warning lights came on again, this time flashing a message “reduced acceleration”. What was most odd was that even when the car was stationery with the brake applied, there was a surge in engine rev and the engine became very noisy. By that stage we knew we shouldn’t drive it. I was livid as we had to abort a trip to an annual event in the country for which I had bought tickets and a special frock months earlier :mad:!

The car went back for a THIRD time and all we have been told is that a chief technician at Ford has identified numerous problems but has not found the cause(s). Well I am a housewife/woman driver but I can tell you the car has numerous problems too!!!

This has been a thoroughly frustrating exercise as we are dealing with a Peugeot dealer who is supposed to be sorting the car out with a Ford dealer…. Having failed to identify potentially serious engine problems and passing them off as minor fuel level or sensor issues (ie BS) on two occasions , I have little confidence in these people and the cowboyish attitude !

I think there was a big Toyota recall a few years ago when cars experienced sudden power surge. It is potentially dangerous – imagine braking at the lights but the power surge causes the car to accelerate instead. Isn’t that the cause of the Wellington Quay bus crash years ago?

Has anyone had this problem with a Ford Focus and can shed a light on possible causes? Although there is a one year warranty this car is supposed to be sold “fully serviced to manufacturers’ specification” which is a joke. It certainly wasn’t of “merchantable quality” as required by consumer law. SIMI website advises contacting senior management of the dealer – a letter was sent but senior management is apparently on holiday…. again are we being brushed off?

Even if the car is “fixed” again I am not sure if we should use it for our upcoming trip to West Cork / Ring of Kerry. Having “owned” it for 11 days, the experience has left me with no confidence and a sour taste. Did I buy a "lemon"?? :( Just don’t want to risk having to hitch hike home from Bantry!

What would you do, Boarders? Any advice/comments would be much appreciated! Thankyou!

The car was not of merchantable quality and you the customer is entitled to decide which of the repair, replace or refund you want. My advice would be to reject the car and obtain a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Says in post 16 she got sorted!

ofcork,
    Thanks for the reply, I'm aware the OP got the problem sorted, but never got to the bottom of the actual issue
    "The real reason of the recurring fault in the Ford Focus will always remain a mystery to me.."

Either way. I'm in the garage tomorrow with it and see what they say or do for now. As I said, I'm posting here for others to have informed information like the OP did and I will update next week once I get talking to the garage, but by the sounds of it I could be looking at a new motor.

Rattle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Apologies - thought it was a recent post - should have read the full thread before replying - silly me.

OK so got the car back today. There was a delay in getting it in so I had a 48hr turn around.

Ford have said that there was bad diesel used and the fuel filter was in bits.... This means that the pressure of fuel being delivered to the engine dropped and caused the engine to go into a 'protect' or safe mode kind of state. Which would seem to sync up with issue appearing when I accelerate.

Now a few things. Bad fuel is not covered by warrenty supposedly so I'm probably going to pay for this which is a pain. C&K have been good and given me the car back while they investigate the warrenty more, they just can't take bad fuel into consideration with the warrenty. Which is understandable.

On the other hand. I have been very good with this car, best oil etc and looked after it well. Always filling it with Diesel in large main reputable garages Esso, Statoil and Maxol which pisses me off as someone's cost me a new fuel pump filter.

As I said the car is performing really well and has better grunt in it since it swapped out so it does look as if this was in fact the issue.

Anyway thought might be useful to put the info up here for anyone to read and if anything changes. I'll let you know.

Rattle

At least you are sorted, but shure a fuel filter will not be expense? Overall, you dodged a bullet.....and change where you get your diesel.

Advertisement