Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless mics in Ireland-do I need a license to use one?

Options
  • 02-07-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello guys,
    I'm considering buying a wireless system for stage performances, such as Shure PGX24E/Beta 58 S10 – but I can't find information about the license, in terms of frequency bands. As far as I understood, we are now allowed to use channel 38, right? Do I have to purchase a license to use it legally? If so, where/how do I get one?

I know this mic is being sold here in Ireland (just saw one at Music Maker) and they are brand new, so I suppose they were designed to fit the new legislation, but I'm wondering if I should just type "38" on the receiver and it's good to go or if it's more complex than that. Does anybody know anything about that? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If you are buying from an Irish selling then by law they must sell you a unit that complies with the new rules etc. If you are buying from an overseas company then they will sell you what you ask for.

Contact the Shure dealer directly for Ireland and ask them which units are legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hardrocksinger

yeah I thought of that, but I couldn't find a specific Shure dealer in Ireland, only UK and/or a general contact for Europe. Sorry I'm a noob in terms of wireless mics, always used normal ones, so I'm a little lost

I just rang comreg and all they could do was email me forms to fill and apply for a temporary license (not sure if I even need one, and if I do, it would have to be a permanent one, since I'll be using it on a regular basis)

I asked around at the music shops and no salesman knew about the setup of wireless mics here, they just said they sell them and nobody ever complained.

As far as I could learn from YouTube, to set up this microphone you just hit "channel" on the receiver and it finds an available channel, but then what about the "channel 38" thing? Is it legal to use whatever channel it finds? It's so confusing =/

I don't know if I'm over-thinking this, I hope I can find a sound technician or fellow singer who can clarify this

Thanks for the help =)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Contact Sennhieser Ireland. They answered all my queries on the issue before. They knew there stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mark_ii

Many frequencies used today in our current UHF Wireless Systems were given for the use of mobile services. A lot of the frequencies on existing products range from 822 MHz to 865 MHz, of these everything up to 863 MHz was given to the mobile providers thus only leaving the frequencies 863-865 MHz being available for non licensed use.

If you're buying my advice would be to go digital and into the 2.4 GHz range, this is an unlicensed band and you'll have no problems with regulations etc.

If you look at any wireless component on Thomann they print a warning with every product that defines the supported frequency bands that are no longer prohibited.

If your're looking for a very good wireless mic that won't give you any licensing/regulation issues then have a look at the new Shure GLX-D range, this was released at NAMM 2013:

The microphones feature LINKFREQ Automatic Frequency Management technology and rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. The wireless microphone system was designed for singers, musicians and presenters.

Operating in the 2.4GHz frequency band, GLX-D analyzes the RF spectrum, determines the best available frequencies and automatically deploys frequencies to the transmitter and receiver. Additionally, in the presence of RF interference, the receiver and transmitter will seamlessly move together to clean frequencies with no audio signal interruption.

The systems come in a wide offering of traditional body-pack and handheld configurations, including vocal, headset, and presenter systems, as well as a new pedal-mounted guitar option with a tuner that integrates into any pedal board.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_glxd24sm58.htm

Good wireless devices can run into the €1000's, the Shure GLX-D range are pretty moderately priced I think @ €449. Seems a lot but this is professional grade kit.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hardrocksinger

Mark, thank you very much! =)

• Advertisement
Advertisement