Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about getting deposit back

Options
  • 02-07-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I've been reading through this board and what I could find on the PRTB website and Threshold, but I still feel like there are some gaps in my knowledge so I could do with some information and/or advice.

Our lease is almost up and thank god we can afford to move. We moved into this place two years ago because we were in a hurry and this was the best we could afford. It was the first time renting from an estate agent and I will immediately say that we were a bit too naive. (before this, we've only rented from private landlords and with housemates) We've never had a problem getting the deposit back: we're tidy and clean.

When we moved into the place, we had an extensive walk through the apartment with the landlord, we pointed out holes in the wall, marks on the walls and a couple of other things which were duly added to the inventory. So far, so good. We neglected to take pictures (after all, the issues were added to the inventory, right?...). Having moved in, we found other issues: the house was not cleaned before we moved in, several things were broken, and the place is damp. We notified the estate agent by email. Certain things were fixed, others weren't, but overall, the agent dealing with us seemed fair, correct and quick to solve issues.

A year later, our financial situation was much the same, so we stayed. Around the same time, another agent took over (same agency, just different person) and this person was ... less of a success. Hard to get a hold of, took their time, a bit condescending too. Last winter was wet, so the damp caused mould (which we emailed the estate agent about). Add a newly diagnosed chronic illness on our side. We requested the possibility to move early, bringing up the unsolved issues, the damp etc. (again by email), were point blanc refused, newly brought up issues were now completely ignored and contacts between us and the estate agent deteriorated.

The mould has left marks, obviously. We have tried to keep it under control, but the marks are there and they are visible. The apartment is old, so wear and tear is more than normal (the carpet is threadbare at some points). Plus, since we made no photos of the state of the place when we moved in, it will be hard to prove that we are leaving in a better state than it was.

I can, and will, take photos when we leave (any particular areas I should pay attention to?). I would really rather not go the route of not paying the last month's rent, but we can also not afford to lose our deposit, or even wait the five or more months it would take to get it back if we'd have to make a complaint. If we would even get it back that way, because of the lack of photographic evidence. I'd like to just play this fair and legal, but, well, I don't trust that the estate agent will do the same. And I am not sure that the evidence I would have against them (emails) would be enough.

Thoughts? (and sorry this got so long...)

Advertisement