Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shore fishing near Ballyconneely(Galway)

Options
  • 02-07-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am relatively new to sea angling. My life has been spent trout and salmon fishing but I am keen to give sea angling a proper go. I am going camping with my kids to Ballyconneely and would love to know what I could expect to catch from the shore and how to do so. I have experimented with different techniques over the years including fly-fishing from the shore for bass in Kerry but I would like to try something that others have found successful in Connemara.

Would try anything, ledgering, spinning etc, etc. All advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am relatively new to sea angling. My life has been spent trout and salmon fishing but I am keen to give sea angling a proper go. I am going camping with my kids to Ballyconneely and would love to know what I could expect to catch from the shore and how to do so. I have experimented with different techniques over the years including fly-fishing from the shore for bass in Kerry but I would like to try something that others have found successful in Connemara.

Would try anything, ledgering, spinning etc, etc. All advice greatly appreciated.

Might be a bit late, but what I would do there is just use a beach caster and german sprats spinners, old school I know, but it does the job.
    The main fish I get there is pollock and sometimes mackerel

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

astonaidan wrote: »
    Might be a bit late, but what I would do there is just use a beach caster and german sprats spinners, old school I know, but it does the job.
    The main fish I get there is pollock and sometimes mackerel

Thanks for that. I had a good look around when I was out there and will definitely bring the gear out later in the summer. I saw a lot of sand eels in the water so might even try for a sea bass in the surf. A local told me they get the odd one out there. Good stock of flat fish also which can be gotten by dragging lug worm slowly along the bottom.

Advertisement