Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo, Lexus or Volvo...?!

Options
  • 02-07-2013 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey guys!

Looking to buy in a couple of weeks and am torn between a few...

I'll have between €10k - €12k to spend and am looking at the following. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I get mileage for work but that's mainly for driving around the county, do one or two 60km trips a week for work and the odd jaunt to up the country once a month. So the mileage isn't crazy. Currently driving a 03 Mondeo and €40 - €50 is more than enough for personal and professional use.

2008 Ford Mondeo 1.8 petrol/2.0 Diesel - Reliable, great interiors, and easiy serviced. But it seems every second car on the road is a Mondeo!
    2008 Lexus IS220 - Look great, but are they reliable? Do parts cost much etc?
    2008 Volvo S40 - Heard bad things, nice cars though.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Nice one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Mondeo 2 litre diesel, or a 2 litre S40 if you done need the space. They diesel IS wasn't what it should have been to drive or to own. If you can stomach the motor tax a 2.4 D5 S40 is a nice stealth car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Mondeo 2 litre diesel, or a 2 litre S40 if you done need the space. They diesel IS wasn't what it should have been to drive or to own. If you can stomach the motor tax a 2.4 D5 S40 is a nice stealth car.

Yea the motor tax would be a bit much for the 2.4. REason i'm goin for 2008 is for the low emission tax. MNakes a big difference.

Mondeo's 2.0 Diesel are great cars, very comfy and I reckon they've the nicest interiors of all the saloon ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Volvo S40 is nowhere near as big as a Mondeo for space, the S40 is based on the smaller Focus and has tight rear leg room and narrow access to the boot. They are also expensive for servicing and spare parts if you stick with main dealers.

The Lexus IS220 engine is known for giving problems and again the IS isn't a big car, they are not that frugal and 6th gear is pretty useless in them.

Also, don't get duped by the cheap tax thing, remember that it will cost you thousands to trade up to a 2008 car in order to save a few hundred in motor tax meaning it will take you years before you actually break even when all costs are taken into account. People are also of the assumption that cheap motor tax is here to stay.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Volvo S40 is nowhere near as big as a Mondeo for space, the S40 is based on the smaller Focus and has tight rear leg room and narrow access to the boot. They are also expensive for servicing and spare parts if you stick with main dealers.

The Lexus IS220 engine is known for giving problems and again the IS isn't a big car, they are not that frugal and 6th gear is pretty useless in them.

Also, don't get duped by the cheap tax thing, remember that it will cost you thousands to trade up to a 2008 car in order to save a few hundred in motor tax meaning it will take you years before you actually break even when all costs are taken into account. People are also of the assumption that cheap motor tax is here to stay.

Good call. To be honest, rear leg room space isn't a massive deal for me, pretty much me and herself in the car mostly. Just like the saloon cars.
    As for the motor tax thing, only part of the reason i'm moving up to 2008 level, just want to get something newer really.

Starting to get the impression the Lexus mightn't be worth it, pretty sure it'll cost a bit to get serviced/spare parts etc. That is the great thing about the Mondeo I have, easy for parts and the reliability is pretty much invaluable. High spec 2.0 Diesel Mondeo might be a good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Tax isn't even all that cheap on the 08 IS220d and Mondeo 2.0.

Have an early 09 IS back and that's €570 for the year. Pretty sure the early 08 Mondeo 2.0Tdci is the same. 08 S40 2.0D should scrape in at €390

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just be careful that the Mondeo timing belts have been done properly, if there are two. Seems common enough that only one of the belts gets done and the second one causes problems. It is only on some of them it seems, as the others have a chain for the second 'belt'.

If you are happy to stay with petrol then maybe a Honda Civic saloon is worth looking at, plenty of standard kit and they tend to give very little trouble:

media?xwm=y&id=5abc04a3-6585-4756-9166-98d62ba1d33f&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/1.8-SE/36513716414900730/

1.8 petrol is very good on fuel and has decent poke for motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

I had a Lexus IS myself lovely looking car but that's about it,I'd say a Hi Spec Mondeo would be your best bet they've a nice interior and more spacious.

Miseryguts wrote: »
    I had a Lexus IS myself lovely looking car but that's about it,I'd say a Hi Spec Mondeo would be your best bet they've a nice interior and more spacious.

Not mad about the look of the Civic to be honest, but yea they're great cars. Have seen a few really decend high spec Mondeo's. There's a black one floating around where I live and it's nicer than most saloon's, including the Lexus.

General feedback for the Lexus seems to be not worth the potential hassle so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dustyie

I presently have a 09 Mondeo 1.8 diesel , have to Say i.m very happy with it . Over 120k miles on it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Avoid the lexus.
    I've an 07 one. i posted on a different thread about it a few weeks ago but basically they've head gasket issues which cost me about 3500 to put right along with 1500 on injectors 18 months ago. tax is just under 1k too:mad: it burns 7.5 litres of juice per 100km too.
    avoid avoid avoid

digzy wrote: »
    Avoid the lexus.
    I've an 07 one. i posted on a different thread about it a few weeks ago but basically they've head gasket issues which cost me about 3500 to put right along with 1500 on injectors 18 months ago. tax is just under 1k too:mad: it burns 7.5 litres of juice per 100km too.
    avoid avoid avoid

Yea i've heard there's some issues with the head gasket off someone today fullily enough. Nice one for that, major turn off stuffing that much into a 07.

Class cars, bit out of my price range though. Very cool though!

Nice one.

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Class cars, bit out of my price range though. Very cool though!

Nice one.

Your original post said between €10k and €12k so it should be achievable.

Your original post said between €10k and €12k so it should be achievable.

Always just presumed they'd be out of range, will get a test drive this weekend.

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Always just presumed they'd be out of range, will get a test drive this weekend.

The one I posted in the link has an asking price of €12,450 so you should be able to do better on that assuming you are not trading in.

Advertisement