Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help to build new computer

Options
  • 01-07-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm planning to buy a new desktop computer but I have no clue what to choose or where even to buy. I would be grateful if somebody could help me to choose the right stuff. What I need it for is primarily working in Adobe Master Suit and some 3D programs like 3ds max. I need it to be fast and strong enough to render relatively fast videos in After Effects and 3d creations in 3ds max. I'm not planning to play any games on it, it's only for work. I work on laptop at the moment so I will need absolutely everything, from the processor, through the screen, to the mouse. My budget for this machine is 1200 euros. Can someone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You should fill this in even though you answered a lot already but it's easier to read and has more info.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

I knocked together a build based on the info you gave anyway.

Item|Price
    Intel Xeon E3-1230v2, boxed, LGA1155|€201.13
    ASRock ZH77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€68.04
    16GB-Kit Kingston HyperX blu.XMP PC3-12800U CL10|€108.40
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost Windforce 2X OC, 1GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€139.00
    Samsung SSD 840 250GB SATA 6Gb/s|€147.29
    2 x WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€113.38
    Cooltek Antiphon White, ohne Netzteil|€68.00
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 450W|€49.63
    LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA|€16.90
    LogiLink USB 2.0 all-in-one Card Reader, für 3,5" Einbauchschacht|€3.32
    LG 22EA53VQ-P|€127.81
    ASUS PCE-N15|€14.90
    Sharkoon Drakonia Gaming Laser Mouse|€24.39
    Sharkoon Fire Glider Gaming Mat|€6.99
    MS Windows 8 64bit (SB-Version) Englisch|€84.92
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1193.09

You might need this to use the card reader with the case.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-inch-5-25-Mounting-Adapter/dp/B005ZWGEU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372722714&sr=8-1&keywords=drive+bay+convertor

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luki89

This is absolutely brilliant!!! Thank you very much for that. I filled these questions anyway, in case some additional information might have changed this setup you gave me.
    1. €1200
    2. Still graphics/ motion graphics/ video editing/ 3d modelling (mainly Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects and 3ds max)
    3. No
    4. No
    5. Yes, 5a ? (the bigger the better I guess, probably 22'' will do)
    6. Just the ones you mentioned in the question.
    7. No, I understand that if I am willing to do that I need extra cooling, is that why you're asking. could you tell me, wouldn't I need extra fan or sth like that anyway, even if I don't overclock?
    8. CC
    9. Soon enough but no deadlines here (within July anyway)
    10. I should have some help with assembly, but just in case I'm Dublin North-West, is there some private way I could ask you for your assembly charges?

And one more question for you if I may, my friend told me to make sure that the graphics card have support for GPU acceleration cause that's supposed to be helping to cut down render times, is that correct? and does the card you recommend have it (sorry; even though I read the specs, it's a bit of a black magic to me).

Thank you again for your help!

Overclocking the cpu would require changing a few parts to more expensive versions and getting a better after market cpu cooler. This would push the price up. The case comes with 3 fans already so you won't need to add more if not overclocking. The case comes in plain black or silver + black as well.

Have you considered dual monitors? Since you don't need windows you could probably squeeze a second monitor into the build. The extra screen space can be a godsend. If you have the desk space you should consider it. You could also use the money to go to 2 x 2tb hdd's if you need the storage space.

These speakers are really good for the money.

You will have to get a keyboard elsewhere as the German layout is different. Any cheap local bought one will do but if you want something good then this is great for the money.

There's loads of build guides on youtube if you need help. If you're stuck a few members here probably live close to you and could help you if you need it.

Adobe has cuda support so the card in the build will boost your adobe performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luki89

That is excellent, I can't thank you enough, It's exactly what I needed + the idea with 2 monitors, it's so brilliant.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Maybe change the card to the 2gb model of the card. It's €10 more. I've read full hardware cuda support with some parts of cs doesn't work without 2gb of video memory. I don't use it myself so can't check.

You might need 1 or 2 additional sata cables as well. They are about 60c on hwvs.

Just to make sure you do plan on installing windows on this right? You can't just install the mac os with any pc hardware afaik.

• Advertisement
Advertisement