Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law to Arts transfer

Options
  • 01-07-2013 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

Apart from my indecision which was the major problem, the minor issue of my laptop crashing may have cost me.
    Can someone please clarify that if I'm accepted into UCD Law with History will I be able to transfer to a UCD Joint honours course in English and History/Economics (a course where I would meet all the entry requirements for)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

No, I don't believe you would be able to do that. You can transfer to pure Law from that degree, but not to a BA. Call UCD to check, but I'm pretty certain you'd need to reapply to the CAO next year to change it. Contact CAO and see if they can help you; they might be able to because your laptop crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You might be able to because it's related to arts but you'd probably have to make up the English/Econ/whatever credits at some point so that might mean you'd have an extra semester at some point (possibly some extra fees too).

That's dependent on whoever you talk to within UCD, some people mightn't think the Law & History is related enough and you'd have to reapply to the CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Contact CAO and see if they can help you; they might be able to because your laptop crashed.

It was the first things I did, I'm not sure they'll believe me, it's just one of those stories that people tell to try and get around the system :(

Thanks for the help btw.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'm not too clued in because I didn't change courses, but I'm almost sure you can change up until Dec 1 if you meet the requirements and if there's a space, which there will definitely be in arts by Dec 1 if not from the very beginning (a lot of people drop out). It might be best to call and check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Applying to the beginning of a course (i.e. Semester 1, Year 1) is done through the CAO. I don't believe there's a way to just jump over after you get into one, even with requirements filled, but it's possible I'm wrong.

You can apply to move halfway through the first year, to Semester 2 Year 1 of a "different but related" programme - that has a December 1st deadline, which might be what you heard of Canard? I'm not sure what level of similarity is required for that, however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

I mailed both the CAO and the UCD admissions office. The CAO were...unhelpful. While UCD admissions said that I would be able to switch after the 1st semester provided I can get 50 Credits of Stage One of the new programme including all of the pre-requisites for Stage Two, within the allowed timeframe.

In the end I may love Law and History (if I'm lucky enough to get in) however I just felt like I needed the security of a backup plan if it is a course that doesn't suit me.

Again thanks everybody :)

Advertisement