Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get T8 fixtures holding 4+ tubes?

Options
  • 01-07-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I am looking for as light as possible and without chrome reflectors. Something along the lines of:
    miyPZgsLi3sOi3kq4byQEvQ.jpg
    As for bulb type I prefer T8 since I will be using the lights only moderately and cost is a factor. No need energy saving sleek looking device - function is what I am after.
    Needs to be light as I want to position it on the stand either vertically or horizontally. Must hold at least 4 T8 tubes length of 900mm or longer producing not less than 4000k temperatures and with obviously electronic ballast.
    Must come with 220V in so I could attach a cable with socket to go into mains.
    Looked over online and shops around, some have overpriced and flimsy fixtures, some have decent ones but with a need of heavy modification. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

That's pretty specific.
    Would you not go DIY?

Curiosity.
    What is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

policarp wrote: »
    That's pretty specific.
    Would you not go DIY?

Curiosity.
    What is it for?

Well.. I am going DIY. I just need a fixture even without bulbs. Then I will attach the lead with plug into mains and install the required bulbs. Btw it can be T5 as long as I can get fitting with bulbs around 1m long, 2 or 4 in parallel.
    Need 2-3 of these fixtures. Mainly for my work bench but also want to use same setup for photo or video indoors.

T5 fluorescents function better than T8-they're better

get electronic ballast anyhow if you want a 'light' fitting-you can get t8 with electonic ballast

they weigh a lot less than magnetic ballast fittings

That's a good tip. But where to get them for reasonable price? Any recommendations? Can be ugly as hell as long as its new and reliable from electronics side of view I am happy. I believe Osram and Philips bulbs and ballasts are the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    No need energy saving sleek looking device - function is what I am after.

Needs to be light as I want to position it on the stand either vertically or horizontally.

T5 fluorescents function better than T8-they're better

get electronic ballast anyhow if you want a lightweight fitting-you can get t8 with electonic ballast

they weigh a lot less than magnetic ballast fittings

That's a good tip. But where to get them for reasonable price? Any recommendations? Can be ugly as hell as long as its new and reliable from electronics side of view I am happy. I believe Osram and Philips bulbs and ballasts are the way to go.

sorry there i was editing that

if you want function and lightweight prob just 'buy' T5 fittings imo

• Advertisement

sorry there i was editing that

if you want function and lightweight prob just 'buy' T5 fittings imo

No probs. I am slowly homing in on T5 fixture. I just can't find places to buy from where I can purchase 3 or 4 of them. Most are wholesalers and for singles the charge is quite high.

This would be perfect

new-t5-fluorescent-lamp.jpg

No probs. I am slowly homing in on T5 fixture. I just can't find places to buy from where I can purchase 3 or 4 of them. Most are wholesalers and for singles the charge is quite high.

the reflector increses the light output(prob 20/30% i think)

so there's prob no saving

the reflector increses the light output(prob 20/30% i think)

so there's prob no saving

It also casts stronger shadows that is a big issue in photography or video. Must be with as less of the chrome reflector as possible. Ideally I could spray white paint over the reflectors so that is not much of an issue. The issue is getting the thing.

Also after doing good bit of reading it seems like T8 is the way to go. They also come with electronic ballast, fixtures usually cheaper and bulbs cost much less. Also key thing is the are of the bulb - the bigger the light source the softer the shadow.

Seems like I'm back to T8 after careful consideration after all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement