Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is cinema popcorn vegan?

Options
  • 01-07-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I'm guessing it differs from cinema to cinema but generally does it tend to be vegan or not? I have a feeling if I asked staff in the cinema they wouldn't really know...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have read that many cinemas use coconut oil for cooking it. It has a melting point of about 30C or so, which gives it a nice mouthfeel.

Of course it is not exactly a brand name so you would have to ask in each cinema individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Almost all cinema popcorn has a yellow powdered butter flavour seasoning. I've no idea if this actually contains butter or not. You'd have to ask to see the ingredients of this stuff. It is added at the popping stage so no option to omit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Almost all cinema popcorn has a yellow powdered butter flavour seasoning. I've no idea if this actually contains butter or not. You'd have to ask to see the ingredients of this stuff. It is added at the popping stage so no option to omit it.

I have seen this seasoning before being used at a college event so was thinking they might use that in the cinema. I'm going later on in the week, I might ring the cinema and see.

Just rang them there. The woman said they only use rapeseed oil when popping it but she didn't know if the kernels were vegan. I presume all kernels are though? I guess she didn't want to say it was definitely vegan just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

What cinema did you ring?

• Advertisement

Sorry meant to say but forgot, it was The Eye cinema in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Almost all cinema popcorn has a yellow powdered butter flavour seasoning.
    what, even the standard salted non-buttered stuff? I'm not vegan, but I've never tasted any buttery taste from the bog standard salted popcorn?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could just stash your own food in. I never really got the fascination/insistence some people have with eating in cinemas, esp. popcorn as its noisy around you and internally, but that coupled with the ludicrous prices just puts me off. I never really eat watching films at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

rubadub wrote: »
    You could just stash your own food in. I never really got the fascination/insistence some people have with eating in cinemas, esp. popcorn as its noisy around you and internally, but that coupled with the ludicrous prices just puts me off. I never really eat watching films at home.

... not to mention the dry, salty feeling left in your mouth because you didn't spring for the overpriced litre of cola as well (or finished it ages ago) and the stuff gettign stuck between your teeth...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Little Ted wrote: »
    what, even the standard salted non-buttered stuff? I'm not vegan, but I've never tasted any buttery taste from the bog standard salted popcorn?? :confused:

I know in the old UCI the "butter" was optional and was squirted onto the popcorn if you asked for it, otherwise it was just salted.

The squirty stuff certainly didn't look like butter but may have been dairy based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

yes that is what I thought - that squirty butter stuff is horrendous! pure nuclear evil! so I would never even think of buying that anyway!

I've got a bit of a buttery taste off of normal popcorn before. Apparently they're not allowed serve the 'butter' topping any more (some health and safety thing about people slipping on spilt butter) so maybe places started using the powder it because of that? It's not much of a buttery flavour but it's there nonetheless.

Also cinema prices are ridiculous, I usually bring my own drink and I would never buy sweets there but I think the popcorn tastes different to normal popcorn so I will buy it. If I went more often then I might not but right now I rarely go at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well I can only speak about the popcorn I saw being made in a cinema in Cork, admittedly over 10 years ago. Their standard popcorn had a yellow powder added to the popper with the oil and kernels. I can't say now for sure if it contained a dairy derivative but I suspect in did.
    I'd be wary of any cinema popcorn and I'd seek clarification as to what's in it if I were vegan.
    I like to pop some corn at home and bring it in a big paper bag with me. Cheaper, fresher, nicer and I know what's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I like to pop some corn at home and bring it in a big paper bag with me. Cheaper, fresher, nicer and I know what's in it.

This is a great idea, thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Do not post like that again Drizzle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've never heard of it not being vegan, so I imagine it is.

Advertisement