Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carers allowance

Options
  • 01-07-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey I just found out this morning I was disallowed for carers allowance don't no why yet as they have lost my letter and they couldn't tell me over the phone why iI qwas refused it, my problem is I had to leave work to carer for my granda and now I have no income I had phone social welfare they said I had got carers allowance but deciding officer said I didn't I don't no what to think, how long does it take to review it or appeal it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved from work/jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laura86

Eoin wrote: »
    moved from work/jobs

I wasn't removed from work or job I'm caring for my granda

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I meant that I've moved from the thread from the work/jobs forum to the State Benefits forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

laura when did you apply for carers. Who told you that you got it? I know they don't like giving too much info over the phone. When they say letters got lost, I'm sure they have a back up for correspondence. Sometimes there is a delay in getting letters out.

The bad news is that nowadays the review can take a while. I was also turned down and they told me that the review can take 3 months, the appeal can take twice as long.

As far as money goes, did you go to your local CWO, they might give you something to tide you over depending on your circumstances

April I applied for it. It was my own local social welfare office told me I got it as I was up looking to c if I could get a payment until carers got back to me she checked up computer and it says I was granted it. But carers said no I diff didn't get it and that my letter was posted on the 25th she said there was no note on my application and she said my application looked fine she didn't no why I was turned down

• Advertisement

Just got word there I was refused on medical grounds so I went to my grandas public health nurse as it was her that told me to applie for it she cant understand it so her and his gp writing me letters and carers said they will review it, takes a number of weeks does anyone no exactly how long it takes

laura86 wrote: »
    Just got word there I was refused on medical grounds so I went to my grandas public health nurse as it was her that told me to applie for it she cant understand it so her and his gp writing me letters and carers said they will review it, takes a number of weeks does anyone no exactly how long it takes

Laura I was told the review on medical grounds could take 3 months and a lot of people are refused. I was told to get a strong letter from my GP and outline myself in detail what I do day to day, include what you do for your grandad and stuff around the house, say why you do everything you do and why your grandad can't do these things eg needs help getting dressed and can't light fires, cook dinners etc himself. Also contact a local TD about your case and they will make calls for you

If you are making enquiries ring Longford as they will have more information for you and thats where your files are kept.

Best of luck!!

Thank u nelly, ya doc and health nurse is doing me out letters, so hopefully I don't get refused this time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What age is your Gran?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

laura86 wrote: »
    Hey I just found out this morning I was disallowed for carers allowance don't no why yet as they have lost my letter and they couldn't tell me over the phone why iI qwas refused it, my problem is I had to leave work to carer for my granda and now I have no income I had phone social welfare they said I had got carers allowance but deciding officer said I didn't I don't no what to think, how long does it take to review it or appeal it

Would you not qualify for Carers Benefit?

• Advertisement

No because they don't he needs care, he has arthritis. He is on oxygen 24 7 and has to carry a tank of oxygen around so he not aloud near fire or cooker cus he could blow the house up, he takes gout inthe cold weather on his handsand feet so cant get up out of bed for weeks, his kidneys done work right so he has a bag on and suffers from depression he has told public health nurse that he just feels like ending his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Laura as nelly 21 says you need to write a letter yourself setting out what you do on a day to day basis for your grandad.
    if you find this tricky for any reason, go to your local CIC and they will be glad to help you.

Ya I have a dairy done out of what I do day to day, and I have been in contact with my local td and he is gonna help me get it all sorted,

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jackie f

Hi I'm new here does anyone know how long a review for carers allowance takes?

jackie f wrote: »
    Hi I'm new here does anyone know how long a review for carers allowance takes?

Jackie it's like asking how long is a piece of string! All cases are different. It could be weeks or months! I was turned down and turned down on review. I fought tooth and nail and got a couple of TDS on to it and they got it reviewed again for me and I got it thank god! The process took months I'm afraid. A lot of stress on my part but I pushed and pushed. Do you mind me asking what grounds they turned you down on?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kathy m

Hi i sent my application for review in July . Last week i was told my details had been sent to Tipp social welfare and i would here from them and then.it would be returned to the deciding officer . I applied first in Feb this year got refused in June .

Advertisement