Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre LNB

Options
  • 01-07-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I currently have a single LNB on my minidish, and am looking to future proof my home setup by adding more feeds into the attic. I would like to increase it initially to 4 feeds, although more might be needed in years to come.

I was going to replace the single LNB with an octo LNB, but a friend mentioned looking into getting a fibre LNB. This could work better for me as I don't fancy drilling a bigger hole to get 8 cables through the outer wall, when I could do all this with 2 cables to an optical LNB.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with doing this? I am looking at getting this 'Invacom Fibre LNB' with this 'GLOBAL FIBRE-IRS QUAD OPTICAL GTU' but I am not sure if that LNB is compatible with my dish. Any thoughts?

41kbfXVAsTL._SX342_.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

You need a reasonable quality (eg Triax TD78) 80cm offset dish or as near as. The cost is also extremely prohibitive, but an excellent almost, lossless system. You would need a meter to align it properly. You need one fibre cable and one coax to the fibre lnb (coax for power supply)
    Go for the normal coax octo lnb, massively cheaper and by far easier to set up.
    If, on the other hand, you want to provide a satellite feed to all your neighbours within acouple of miles radius, then go for it.(fibre, that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Or a quattro/quad & multiswitch will only mean 4 cables from lnb to attic distribution point. Still more cost than an octo, but terrestrial signal can also be included on the output cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Thanks guys. Sounds like the octo is the way to go. Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

The system you choose should be determined by how your going to use it.
    If you want free to air channels including the Irish channels the best bet would be a quattro lnb, dish & aerial, combined with an irs multiswitch. If on the other hand you are happy with satellite channels only the an octo lnb should do the trick.Fibre systems are designed for commercial use & the costs are very high.

Advertisement